[solved] Strange issue with HD-Audio streams (No Sound) (3 Viewers)

Helios61

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    MP Build: 1.17.0.0
    System: HTPC

Hi,
    since some days i've noticed a strange behaviour with HD-Audio streams of my mkv files. The HD audio stream is the first audiostream in my mkv's. After starting a movie there is no sound. It seems that the audiostream isn't recognized, because AVR displays PCM (LAV Audio is configured for bitstreaming). After switching the audiostream (green button), i get sound, but only DTS. DTS-HD still doesn't work. Furthermore seek steps doesn't work with missing sound. If i step forward for 5 minutes playback stops.

Logfiles are attached.
    01_MediaPortalLogs_22_07_17__12_20.zip: no sound
    02_MediaPortalLogs_22_07_17__12_23.zip: skipsteps doesn't work
    03_MediaPortalLogs_22_07_17__12_25.zip: stream switch (green button)

BTW, with MPC-HC and LAV filters playback is working fine.
    I hope, someone can help me to find a solution.
    Best regards
    Helios

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

The HD audio stream is the first audiostream in my mkv's. After starting a movie there is no sound. It seems that the audiostream isn't recognized, because AVR displays PCM (LAV Audio is configured for bitstreaming).
    Does your AVR support DTS-HD MA decoding?
    If yes, please provide screenshots of your LAV audio settings.
    If no... well then you have the explanation for the problem.

Is your HTPC connected directly to your AVR?
    The log files show that your sound device is "LG TV (Intel(R) Display-Audio)", which to me suggests you have HTPC -> TV -> AVR rather than HTPC -> AVR -> TV. If you have the first scenario you must think about the TV in addition to the AVR. The TV must (a) be connected to the AVR via HDMI (because S/PDIF can't carry DTS-HD MA) and (b) be able to support pass-through for the DTS-HD MA bit-stream.

P.S. It looks like your AVR make/model detail is not listed in your forum system specs. It would be helpful if you could add it.

It seems that the audiostream isn't recognized, because AVR displays PCM (LAV Audio is configured for bitstreaming).
    Maybe you're right (I'm not able to say until you answer the above questions). Either way it seems more likely to me that what you're seeing has little to do with MP. All MP does is to attempt to construct and play a DirectShow graph containing your selected splitter and codecs. If the file doesn't play properly then the place to focus attention is almost always the splitter and codecs, not MP.

Furthermore seek steps doesn't work with missing sound. If i step forward for 5 minutes playback stops.
    Absolutely no surprise here.
    Stream timing is very dependent on audio. If audio has problems you should expect problems with seeking and FF/RW.

BTW, with MPC-HC and LAV filters playback is working fine.
    Are you 100% certain that MPC-HC is:
    1. Using the exact same codecs and splitter.
    2. Playing the same audio stream.
    ?
    If one of those things is not true it's obviously not a fair comparison.

Helios61

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi @mm1352000,
    Thanks for your answer.
    Does your AVR support DTS-HD MA decoding?
    Yes , AVR (Yamaha RX-V681) does support HD Audio.
    If yes, please provide screenshots of your LAV audio settings.
    snip_20170723093347.png

Mixing is disabled.
    Is your HTPC connected directly to your AVR?
    Yes, HTPC is connected to AVR by HDMI. It is a well known Yamaha HDMI issue (since years), that, if TV is switched on, it is reported as audio device to windows. If TV is switched off, AVR is reported. Both are reported with the same Windows Audio properities.
    P.S. It looks like your AVR make/model detail is not listed in your forum system specs. It would be helpful if you could add it.
    Added ;)

MPC-HC is using the Inbuild LAV Filters (same version).

Because at the moment real life needs my full attention, i am not sure since when this issue exists. I am quite sure, that i've watched a movie without any issue two weeks ago. TV-Shows (most with AC3 Audio Stream) are working fine.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hmmm - puzzling!

Does MPC-HC also use the DirectSound audio renderer, or a custom renderer like MPAR?

I see that you updated the Intel GPU/audio driver within the last day or so. Was that an attempt to solve the problem?

Helios61

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    MPC-HC uses "EVR (custom presenter)" ->
    That's the video renderer. I was asking about the audio renderer since this appears to be an audio problem... but your screenshot tells me what I what I wanted to know. :)
    "System-Standard" is almost certainly the same DirectSound audio renderer that MP is using.

So when MPC-HC plays the same file and audio stream successfully, does the receiver show PCM or DTS-HD MA?

P.S. I assume you've tried to play the same file with MPC-HC within the last day or two? The version of LAV you're using is quite new. I'm thinking it could be possible that you used MPC-HC successfully with an older version of LAV (and MP should also have worked)... but then you updated LAV at some point and that broke both MP and MPC-HC, but you haven't yet noticed that MPC-HC is also broken.
    Is that possible?

Helios61

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    That's the video renderer. I was asking about the audio renderer since this appears to be an audio problem... but your screenshot tells me what I what I wanted to know. :)
    Off course:confused: :)

P.S. I assume you've tried to play the same file with MPC-HC within the last day or two? The version of LAV you're using is quite new. I'm thinking it could be possible that you used MPC-HC successfully with an older version of LAV (and MP should also have worked)... but then you updated LAV at some point and that broke both MP and MPC-HC, but you haven't yet noticed that MPC-HC is also broken.
    Is that possible?
    Because MPC-HC uses the inbuild LAV Package (64bit), i've installed and testet with MPDN Player (32bit) and 100% same codec and splitter. Playback of DTS-HD is working fine as it should.

Last edited:

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hey :)
    Can you attach graphstudio when the file is played over MPC-HC and MP ?
    So AVR show DTS-HD and not PCM right ?

You can try to disable internal codec in MPC-HC :
    upload_2017-7-23_13-25-37.png

Uncheck all :

upload_2017-7-23_13-26-1.png

And have set merit for all LAV filter to 00800004 :p

upload_2017-7-23_13-26-36.png

Like this MPC-HC should act like MP if you set directsound as audio renderer :p

upload_2017-7-23_13-27-47.png

CTRL+G on graphstudio :

upload_2017-7-23_13-28-47.png

upload_2017-7-23_13-28-58.png

Helios61

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Have done one test more. Playback of a .mkv file:
    1. Audio Stream: TrueHD+Atmos / TrueHD
    2. Audio Stream: AC3 5.1
    3. Audio Stream: AC3 5.1

Unfortunately there is no sound after start playback (TrueHD), Receiver displays PCM. Also after switching the ausiostream (green button), i get no sound. Receiver still displays PCM. Playback of the same file with MPDN Player is working fine, AVR displays TrueHD. Logs are attached.

@Sebastii: will do some tests with grahstudio :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom