STreaming of all content (1 Viewer)

roosterx

Portal Pro
April 24, 2006
Högsäter, Sweden
Home Country
Norway Norway
To stream all content not only videos like some have said, but also mp3's, pictures and so on, would be more future proof if/when it do support transcode(to stream over internet, like SageTv is able to do)

fasteddie_1

September 30, 2006
Sooo.....

If you were using multiple MP Clients on PCs, why would you need a streaming server????Just map shared drives.

If you really wanted a streaming server, why not just install one of the hundreds of media servers out there instead? Better still.....Get an X-Box, XBMC, and Just map all the SMBs....

Why would it have to be part of MP? Am I missing something???

Personally, I think streaming is really just a sales thing for Sage to try to get dummies hooked. MP is a far superior product.

I'd settle for just a good TV server. The rest (music, Pictures, MPEGs) is done already.....I think?

Ed.

LordMessi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 4, 2005
    Ørsø, Dronninglund, Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I think the suggestion is great, and I fully support it. If the server supported pictures ect. We could have 1 place for pictures ect. - Of course it's possible to do so with shared drives and such - but are that very user friendly, I think not. This solution would be more natural. Looking forward to the future....

roosterx

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2006
    Högsäter, Sweden
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    fasteddie: well i feel mapping samba shares isn't totally resourceless, first it isnt a very good protocol in its self, it's quite slow, makes quite much overhead on a tcp/ip network, and most importantly it's always good to keep things simple everything configurable from one place, no need to set up shares, and most importantly i personally believe the future will bring transcoding and streaming to everyone.

An example would be i (actually)have a daughter 3000km from here, i would like her to watch my pictures - without me needing to upload them anywhere, she just starts MP client, see's all my newly added pictures - and the old ones she already have seen, she could of course listen to my mp3's, watch my local TV etc too.

The other use i have for this is - i want norwegian TV, and i live in sweden, i want to setup a tv server at my friends place in norway, connect the tv card to hs cable, and here at my place, i would like the posibility to just add that tv server(slave) to my (master)tv server like it were just another tv card with channels, program guides etc
    So when i start my MP client here both my local channels and my norwegian channels integrate nicely (and transparent to me or my girlfriend) i browse channels like we have always done in MP.

I truly believe this is the future, the possibilitys are endless - your imagination is the limit ;)

Hope i got this understandable :)

btw: i have an xbox, had many actually been into this kind of 'scene' all the way from the very beginning, as a sidenote i actually saw mp3's as the future and converted all my cd's/LP's allready in the mid 90's(took if i remember correctly nearly an hour for each song on my p75@90), i converted all my dvd's when first variant of divx came up etc

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    I requested this feature to Frodo awhile back... Basically added all the features www.orb.com has with MP... he said he would take a look at it.... once the TV server is officially released.

fasteddie_1

September 30, 2006
    Hey Sorry ....I didn't expect this kind of response. Guess I was a little rude - sorry about that.............Sooo....I'm out voted.

Really, I think there is all kinds of media servers out there, and unless its "easy as pie" don't bother...just not worth it. Just get TVersity or something like that and be done with it.

Now .... Perhaps giving MP a UPnP client might be worthwhile (I don't think it is UPnP capable...is it?)

As for SMB....doesn't seem to bog any of my equipment down....works great. Check your wireless setup you may have problems. Mine was down to a 1 Mbits/s at times before I tossed it and ran CAT 5 E throughout the house, BW and overhead just isn't an issue anymore.

Now rooster ...I didn't mean to be offensive...sorry if I was......but the crack about being around from the start.......P75.....

Let me tell you....... First came Christ.... Then I was born..... then came the Zilog.... then came the z80, then the 8080, then came Intel, then came the 8088, 8086, 80186, 80286 (about that time it just became '286), then the 386, then the 486, and...finally ... then came pentium.

I wasn't in at the start, but one of my University Profs was. He was one of the 5 Guys who figured that it wasn't necessary to seperate the data and instructions in seperate memory, and thus the concept of a memory bus....he was there at the start!!!!!!!

roosterx

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2006
    Högsäter, Sweden
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    fasteddie:
    1. This is a request thread........ .. ..
    2. I know there are other programs that do some of the features i requested - there are also standalone sw that only read music cd's, show pictures etc - that does not mean i don't want it integrated into one app.
    3. I don't have any problems with my network, it works flawless, and no i don't use wifi - too darn slow.
    4. We could probably talk about dinosaurs also - don't see what relevance that has to MP - do you?

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I have moved this thread since this feature request would require a "Media Server".
    Thats not a feature for the TV-Server.

Users who are viewing this thread