Streaming RAR files | Page 13

Discussion in 'MediaPortal 1 Talk' started by gazwest, November 3, 2006.

1. Inker
    • Premium Supporter

Inker Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +319 / 0
    Your right, you weren't whining and I appologize for my somewhat harsh response. Not that its any excuse, but I had a bit of a rough last few days.

Things are moving forward with this request and thats a good thing. A slight problem might be the feature freeze right now though, so you guys will probably have to wait until after the 2.3 final to get your code integrated.

Inker
    PS: I still think posting those images on this board was in the least inappropriate.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. on1yalad

on1yalad Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    no worries, you are right i will remove them

4. mrkrad

mrkrad Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    so what does myunrar do exactly? i think my version is too old but i stuffed the plugins in the appropriate place and didn't get much action.

5. sparky3387

sparky3387 Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I couldn't work out how to call my GUI Plugin from within "My Videos" "My Music" etc (this is my first ever C# Program)

So for the moment it only displays in the Home Menu and only opens a rar file called rar.rar on the C:\ (Its hard coded)

I'm just releasing the source so that someone might be able to take this chunk of work and with a little working make it heaps better!

6. mrkrad

mrkrad Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    can we bump this. rar files working like xbmc will give me reason to bail on the ole xbox1 (& xboxmediacenter.com for linux)

7. jackjson

jackjson Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Home Country:
    Sweden Sweden
    I've looked into this matter, and as far as I can tell there will be no problem to handle uncompressed RAR-files. The RAR format is pretty straight forward (as long as it's uncompressed):
    http://www.bsdg.org/SWAG/DATATYPE/0035.PAS.html
    http://darkshire.org/~jhkim/src/rar/technote.txt

BUT, I have absolutely no idea how to stream the video data to MP's internal player. I've been messing around in MP's source code without any success. Anyone out there willing to help?

/Jack

8. phunqe

phunqe Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Might be a stupid question, but who would ever keep uncompressed RAR files? o_O

9. jackjson

jackjson Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Home Country:
    Sweden Sweden
    Hey man, I'm putting a lot of effort into this ;)

10. phunqe

phunqe Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nono, don't get me wrong. I'm not disrespecting your work or anything, all work is appreciated. I was just wondering about the fact that if you won't be able to handle compressed RAR files, then the functionality might be useless, since noone keeps uncompressed RAR files :)

11. zion22

zion22 Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Home Country:
    Sweden Sweden
    The advantage is, I guess, not to have a large file but several smaller files.
    If I got this thread right, it's all about multi-volume rar files, as in r00, r01, r02, r03 etc. That is a chopped-up stored movie in a rar file. Wouldn't really make sense to have 1 x 4GB rar file, but instead you have 16 x 250 MB.

The only really (legally) useful purpose would prolly be if you can't have +4GB files on your filesystem.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!