Streaming RAR files (1 Viewer)

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    You know that having a TV tuner and recording TV is pirating aswell don't you (ask MPAA). You are not paying a royalty to said media companies (or do you have permission to record Television? not to mention the permission to remove commercials from these television shows?. Tivo/DTVDVR have overhead that pays royalties FYI. Furthermore the probability that you have never ripped a DVD for storage on your media center is very hard to believe. Get off that high horse.

In my original post i was bringing up some issues to Snokis about "HIS" .rar streaming plugin not MP's which he responded and help me out i cant recall any whining. Also me calling out people who were saying how useless and how there isn't a point of having it in XBMC or MP is just me pointing out the ignorance of some forum go'ers.

Anyways good luck in that ignorance you call bliss.

So lets get back to topic ".rar Streaming"

Your right, you weren't whining and I appologize for my somewhat harsh response. Not that its any excuse, but I had a bit of a rough last few days.

Things are moving forward with this request and thats a good thing. A slight problem might be the feature freeze right now though, so you guys will probably have to wait until after the 2.3 final to get your code integrated.

Inker
    PS: I still think posting those images on this board was in the least inappropriate.

mrkrad

Portal Member
    August 24, 2007
    so what does myunrar do exactly? i think my version is too old but i stuffed the plugins in the appropriate place and didn't get much action.

sparky3387

Portal Member
    September 19, 2007
    so what does myunrar do exactly? i think my version is too old but i stuffed the plugins in the appropriate place and didn't get much action.

I couldn't work out how to call my GUI Plugin from within "My Videos" "My Music" etc (this is my first ever C# Program)

So for the moment it only displays in the Home Menu and only opens a rar file called rar.rar on the C:\ (Its hard coded)

I'm just releasing the source so that someone might be able to take this chunk of work and with a little working make it heaps better!

mrkrad

Portal Member
    August 24, 2007
    can we bump this. rar files working like xbmc will give me reason to bail on the ole xbox1 (& xboxmediacenter.com for linux)

jackjson

Portal Pro
    December 8, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I've looked into this matter, and as far as I can tell there will be no problem to handle uncompressed RAR-files. The RAR format is pretty straight forward (as long as it's uncompressed):
    http://www.bsdg.org/SWAG/DATATYPE/0035.PAS.html
    http://darkshire.org/~jhkim/src/rar/technote.txt

BUT, I have absolutely no idea how to stream the video data to MP's internal player. I've been messing around in MP's source code without any success. Anyone out there willing to help?

/Jack

phunqe

Portal Pro
    April 28, 2007
    Nono, don't get me wrong. I'm not disrespecting your work or anything, all work is appreciated. I was just wondering about the fact that if you won't be able to handle compressed RAR files, then the functionality might be useless, since noone keeps uncompressed RAR files :)

zion22

Portal Pro
    April 6, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Might be a stupid question, but who would ever keep uncompressed RAR files? o_O

The advantage is, I guess, not to have a large file but several smaller files.
    If I got this thread right, it's all about multi-volume rar files, as in r00, r01, r02, r03 etc. That is a chopped-up stored movie in a rar file. Wouldn't really make sense to have 1 x 4GB rar file, but instead you have 16 x 250 MB.

The only really (legally) useful purpose would prolly be if you can't have +4GB files on your filesystem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom