Streaming RAR files (1 Viewer)

jackjson

Portal Pro
December 8, 2007
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
you should try out winmount to see how it compares to features. the xbox is unique that you can play damaged or missing rar sets and it will just skip; even allowing you to begin playing as soon as you download a video (assuming your xfer rate > bitrate of file). probably check out the xbox source code to see how they pull off this trick since it works so well. good work ! i'm praying the ole xbox1 will hold out a bit longer :)

I've tried WinMount. It can mount RAR archives, even compressed ones, and play the contents without unpacking the archive first. However, as it is emulating the FAT32 file system, it can not mount an archive containing files larger than 4gb (for example dvd iso's).
Compared to my plugin it is pretty much the same, except that mine can not read compressed archives (and that mine is free).

My plugin can already mount an unfinished series of rar files, but this functionality can (and will) be futher improved. I have also planned to switch the FAT32 emulation for UDF v1.02, to enable mounting of very large files.

My suggestion is, if you need mounting of compressed archives, then go with WinMount. In other cases, go with my free plugin.

jackjson

Portal Pro
December 8, 2007
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
I'm (slowly) working on it.
Currently I'm trying to implement a simple UDF file system (I also realized that this application can then be used to handle files >4gb on FAT32 based Windows installations).

Any success with larger(>4Gb) files?

malmster

January 9, 2007
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Great plugin thus far, man. I have been looking for a solution like this for quite some time now, and it seems to work well for smaller files.

That being said, I have to admit I work as a systems developer. If I can help in any way to finish a solution that would work with larger files, just let me know. I would rather try to help with whatever than try to reverse engineer your solution.

Many thanks.
/malmster

jackjson

Portal Pro
December 8, 2007
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
No need to reverse engineer. I'll send you the source code without hesitation (even if it's a bit ugly right now :oops: )
Send me an PM with your IM account (MSN/ICQ/GoogleTalk) and we can develop the plugin together during this weekend.

Edit:
Homework until then,
try to understand this: http://www.osta.org/specs/pdf/udf102.pdf

Great plugin thus far, man. I have been looking for a solution like this for quite some time now, and it seems to work well for smaller files.

That being said, I have to admit I work as a systems developer. If I can help in any way to finish a solution that would work with larger files, just let me know. I would rather try to help with whatever than try to reverse engineer your solution.

Many thanks.
/malmster

on1yalad

Portal Member
October 16, 2007
jackson i noticed that if the mounting isn't stopped and you try and mount another file it crashes the program.

for example
load MP
My Videos
open a .rar/.001 file
Watch video
Navigate back to MP folder view to find a new .rar/.001 file to watch
open file
crashes mount and have to CAD and end program.

in addition to this you can stop the video and it will stop the mount but when you try and open another rar file it doesn't dispaly, and you have to restart MP or open a non rar fille

but i love the plug in and cant wait fro the UDF version

jonnep22

Portal Member
January 3, 2008
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Hi!
Thanks for this wonderful idea!

I cant get the plugin to work though :(. I installed it as the instructions says, started MP and tried to execute a .rar file which only included ONE file (.avi).

It didnt work and rarmount executed in some sort of debug mode. Since it didnt work i figured i should try it manually, this is when i get the following error msg.

"Error loading ImDisk Virtual Disk Driver: Åtkomst nekad." (access denied)

Im running Vista if that has something to do with it?

Thanks again for this plugin

jackjson

Portal Pro
December 8, 2007
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
It sounds as a ImDisk related bug.
First of all, try to disable UAC and see if that helps.
If not, try finding an answer here:
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/ImDisk-f59.html

Hi!
Thanks for this wonderful idea!

I cant get the plugin to work though :(. I installed it as the instructions says, started MP and tried to execute a .rar file which only included ONE file (.avi).

It didnt work and rarmount executed in some sort of debug mode. Since it didnt work i figured i should try it manually, this is when i get the following error msg.

"Error loading ImDisk Virtual Disk Driver: Åtkomst nekad." (access denied)

Im running Vista if that has something to do with it?

Thanks again for this plugin

jonnep22

Portal Member
January 3, 2008
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
UAC seemed to be the problem
It's working fine now! Thank you Jackson!

Will subtitles ever work if you store them in the same directory as the .rar or will there be another solution to subtitles?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom