Stutter problem with YADIF deinterlacing in LAV filters (1 Viewer)

somy

Portal Pro
March 7, 2010
Denmark
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hi,

I recently experienced some wired problem, and I'm not sure if it is due to MP TsReader or LAV filters.
The problem is, when I enable YADIF deinterlacing in LAV video decoder, all interlaced HD channels stutter a lot, sometime the image even freezes for 20-30 seconds. I check my CPU usage during playback, and it stays at around 30-40%, so it is not because the CPU is stressed. When I switch to DXVA2 native to let my graphics card handle deinterlacing, everything works smoothly though. Could this issue caused by TsReader?

I'm running MP 1.2.2 and LAV filters 0.48 on Intel Q9300 and ATI HD 5770. Any help/suggestion is appreciated!!

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Where are the HD channels coming from ? (It's helpful to have your location info in your user profile ;))

It's unlikely to be TsReader.ax causing the problem (it doesn't know/care about which decoders are connected downstream) - why not post some logs ?

Although the average CPU usage is 30-40%, there may be much bigger short-term peaks that don't show up in the stats or graphs.....

Tony

somy

Portal Pro
    March 7, 2010
    Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi,

I'm from Denmark, and my cable TV provider is YouSee. Regarding CPU usage, I actually monitored it during playback of the recorded TS file, and it never exceeds 40%. I'm at work now, and I will provide some log files when I get home today. What log files are you expecting? TsReader and EVR log files I assume?
    Thanks!

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    It's best if you attach the whole set - see -> the Wiki <- for details...

Also a screen capture with the render stats enabled (shift+1 (!)) is also useful for debugging

Tony

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    I just tried a 1440 x 1080i HD TV recording on the dev laptop (i5-460M, intel HD graphics), MP 1.2.2 + TsReader.ax 'noStopMod48', LAV 0.48 software decode + YADIF + RGB output.

Plays smoothly at 50 fps, 30-40% CPU (about 10-15% higher than using software decode + HW deinterlacing)

Tony

somy

Portal Pro
    March 7, 2010
    Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi Tony,

Thanks for the instruction, here comes log files.
    I noticed that there are a lot of dropped frames during playback, and I suspect that is the root cause of my problem.
    You and I are running similar configuration, the only difference is that I use standard TS reader from MP 1.2.2.
    I also tried to play the recorded TS file in MPC using LAV filters, it plays fairly OK, no dropped frames and CPU stays at around 50%.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    There's nothing in the TsReader log to indicate problems, but lots of dropped frame and 'late sample' messages in evr.log, so it looks like a performance problem somewhere in the video decoding/rendering chain.

You are running an unsupported OS (server 2008R2) - are you running Aero desktop (this is a basically a 'must have' when running MP with EVR) , and does 2008R2 have the full DirectX/DirectShow capabilities of Win7 ?

Tony

somy

Portal Pro
    March 7, 2010
    Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    There's nothing in the TsReader log to indicate problems, but lots of dropped frame and 'late sample' messages in evr.log, so it looks like a performance problem somewhere in the video decoding/rendering chain.

You are running an unsupported OS (server 2008R2) - are you running Aero desktop (this is a basically a 'must have' when running MP with EVR) , and does 2008R2 have the full DirectX/DirectShow capabilities of Win7 ?

Tony

Hi Tony,

Yes, I have Aero enabled. I'm not sure whether 2008R2 has the full DirectX/DirectShow capabilities of Win7.
    MPC-HC works smoothly in fullscreen mode though.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    I've attached a jpeg of my Lav video settings (in case it's useful).

If you want to try the alternative 'noStopMod48' TsReader.ax, it's -> here <-

Tony

Attachments

• Lav_yadif.jpg
      Lav_yadif.jpg
      111.9 KB

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I recently experienced some wired problem, and I'm not sure if it is due to MP TsReader or LAV filters.
    The problem is, when I enable YADIF deinterlacing in LAV video decoder, all interlaced HD channels stutter a lot, sometime the image even freezes for 20-30 seconds. I check my CPU usage during playback, and it stays at around 30-40%, so it is not because the CPU is stressed. When I switch to DXVA2 native to let my graphics card handle deinterlacing, everything works smoothly though. Could this issue caused by TsReader?

I'm running MP 1.2.2 and LAV filters 0.48 on Intel Q9300 and ATI HD 5770. Any help/suggestion is appreciated!!

LAV's YADIF implementation is single thread only. Your CPU has multiple cores so it will already hit the performace limit on somewhere near the 25 to 30% CPU usage (depending how much the other threads than the other threads than where the YADIF processing gets done are using CPU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom