Stuttering During Fast Motion (1 Viewer)

gperkinson

Portal Pro
October 28, 2008
Auckland
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi All,

I have been using Media Portal for well over a year now and have everything working pretty well except one frustrating problem which I have been trying to get to the bottom of during this time and that is stuttering during fast motion and occasional pixelation. I have searched many forums and tried solutions for an answer, but no luck.

I'm currently running version 1.0.2 stable release with PDVD9 codec from HDPack 2.2.

In terms of system spec's I have:

Intel Quad Core Q6600 2.4 GHz
4GB Corsair PC2-6400 DDR2-800
ASUS P5K-E WiFi/AP ATX Intel LGA775
Gigabyte RX385512H Radeon HD
Hauppauge Nova 500-T

...... so there should be enough grunt there!!

In terms of stuttering:

Seems to happen much more where the picture is "cut down" on the edges and not a full screen in HD.

I have the ATI Catalyst Control Centre Settings set to 1920 x 1080 at 50 Hz (which is my TV refresh rate) Not sure if this setting might affect the "cut down" picture? Also unsure how to get around this if it is my issue.

I have read some forums and notice some members talk about "post processing" settings, however I also see a note in red on the settings saying "use at own risk"!! Do these options effectively mean the computer CPU and memory do some of the processing which may help with the stuttering? I see the ffdshow has a lot of settings when this is activayed.

I'm wondering if my Gigabyte RX385512H Radeon HD graphics card is grunty enough with my system? Would appreciate any comments on this. I have searched for updated drivers, but from what I can see I have the latest

My signal on the tuner card is maximum on quality and 3/4 on signal level

I don't think overheating is causing any issues as the stuttering is always there on fast motion i.e. it is also there after the machine wakes from sleep after not running for a long period of time.

I have the reinitialisation on the tuner card after resuming from sleep

This is all on a 52 inch TV, so it is a big screen but I feel it shouldn't be happening at all

Please let me know what log files would be useful - I'm thinking the tsreader file, but would appreciate some advice.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Regards

Graham

gperkinson

Portal Pro
October 28, 2008
Auckland
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi All,

Would appreciate some guidance to get me off the mark to resolve this issue.

Any help appreciatd.

Graham

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Graham,

The thread PD linked to is for MP 1.1.x (the dshowhelper.dll versions there won't work in MP 1.0.2).

Does your problem happen with all files, live TV or recorded TV etc (and SD, HD or both) ?

If it's just live/recorded TV, you could try the latest TsReader.ax from MP 1.1.0 RC2 (this will work with MP 1.0.2) - download it from http://sources.team-mediaportal.com/websvn/filedetails.php?repname=MediaPortal&path=%2Ftags%2FRelease+1.1+RC2%2FDirectShowFilters%2FTsReader%2Fbin%2FRelease%2FTsReader.ax&sc=1

Tony

gperkinson

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Tony,

Between you and Ray, you have both answered a number of my queries - I owe a lot of my smooth running system (apart from this stuttering .... ahhhhhhh) to the both of you - I really appreciate it!!

As mentioned, most of the stuttering is where the freeview picture is cut down on the sides (720 I think) I also get it on a full screen picture as well, but it's just on fast moving images or moving images with high definition. I guess that's why I'm wondering whether my card is right for HD TV? When I bought it they did mention it was more suited to gaming and I'm running this on the same machine. I would regard my machine as quite grunty though. I also get periodic pixelation, but just rewind 15 seconds and it seems to right itself (I see this on a number of other posts)

The stuttering problem happens on Live TV, recordings and DVD's, so that's why I'm wondering if my graphics card is the issue?

Could you answer one question for me - does "post processing" (on the TV Client) mean the machine does more of the graphics processing i.e. could it help the stutter by using the CPU?

As mentioned in my original note, my TV runs at 50Hz and I have set this in the CCC settings. This has definately helped.

Are there any files that I could load to help you guys?? What about the tsreader??

Regards

Graham

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    An HD 3850 should easily cope with HD video playback.

As PD suggested, take a hard look at any utilities you have running (and also third-party MP plugins) - disable any that aren't absolutely essential - some utilities like temperature & GPU monitors can cause excessive system latency, which can produce stuttering video problems.

Try running MP in windowed mode and run the Task Manager CPU performance graph alongside it to check for CPU usage spikes. I'd also try playing files from the system drive instead of the raid array, just to check. Also try disabling the WiFi card temporarily (this might break TV, unless you are using the 'MS loopback device' alternative - see below).

It's always worth posting logs - use the MP logs collector.

Tony

gperkinson

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Tony,

Thanks for that.

Good to get some advice on my HD 3850 and know that it is good enough - been wondering about that.

I basically have a "vanilla" install of MP with the HDPack2.2 codec pack installed running PDVD9. I use Handbrake to convert my ts files to avi and that's it.

In terms of WiFi, I have disabled my WiFi connection to my router and now connect directly - should I also disconnect this on the motherboard?

In terms of temperature, my machine goes into S3 sleep when not recording and the stuttering appears the same after wakeup similar to when the machine has been running for a while. I also have a dual analog card running alongside my Nova 500-T.

In terms of CPU usage, I have also run it in windows mode, viewed the task manager graph and the machine is just cruising - CPU might peak at 20% at times when a couple of recordings are happening, but otherwise it does not appear to be straining - it's a quad core 2.6Ghz machine with 4 Gigs of RAM!!

In addition to the above I have also checked the signal (using F9) and quality is 100%, signal level is 71%.

In terms of "playing files from the system drive", I had located my timeshift folder in a partitioned area of the OS drive away from the RAID drive - this should prove your concept on Live TV, but I still have the stuttering there.

One thing that sticks in my head is that the stuttering happens on Live TV, recordings and when playing a DVD, so I'm thinking it's not to do with the TV Tuner but rather the hardware or software - your thoughts?

Also, I should re-iterate that I have a 52 inch TV and it's not like the picture is unbearable, it's just annoying during movement with the blur trailing what is moving - when everything is still or not moving quickly, it's awesome.

What about ATI Catalyst Control Centre Settings / drivers? From what I can see I have the latest drivers for Vista 32 bit.

In terms of log files, what are the best ones to post??

Regards

Graham

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    One thing I would also check, what is your transfer speed between partitions and other HDD's that may be installed, try moving a recording over and give some figures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom