Stuttering During Fast Motion (1 Viewer)

gperkinson

Portal Pro
October 28, 2008
Auckland
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Would appreciate any feedback on my dropped frames, my driver version for my graphics card and log files as mentioned above

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thought the latest driver for your card was 10.4 or am I barking up the wrong tree, also does the Avivo (is it HD) codec make any difference.

gperkinson

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    No. I have version 8.640.0.0 dated 14/7/09. Under device manager my card is a HD Radeon 3800 series and it's specifically a Gigabyte RX385512H Radeon HD.

Where would I find the latest drivers - I went to the Gigabyte website and found nothing more recent than what I have?

Searched the net on "Avivo" that you mentioned and was pointed to the site below where I then searched for latest driver and found this:

Drivers & Support | GAME.AMD.COM

This looks like 10.3 - where would I find 10.4??

Also, is there a trick in updating graphics drivers? I have run a downloaded exe previously and nothing updates in Device Manager when I look at the driver? What about a fallback if the driver replacement fails? Is a restore point enough?

Given that everything stutters (even DVD's) I'm thinking the graphics driver could be the issue - thoughts?

Would you be able to take a look at the logs and see if you can spot anything.

Regards

Graham

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I work on the simple side of MP, it would take a dev to spot that kind of error, but it does sound more like a codec\driver problem as it relates only to fast motion.

OK my mistake, thought ATI would have 10.4 in use by now (april = 4), 10.3 (march) is latest, think you need the whole CCC download to get the AVivo codecs, and you can always use the rollback driver option, as well as system restore.

gperkinson

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Ray,

Thanks for the note - didn't know that about the version number!!

Having not mucked around with the graphics driver before (it was updated when I took my machine in for a hardware repair) .... you simply download the full driver set and run the "exe", is that correct? It's just that last time the driver version was not updated when I looked in the "Device Manager".

If I'm updating CCC as well, sounds like it might be worth doing a restore point incase it doesn't work?

Any other pointers you can give me around updating the ATI graphics drivers? Always makes me nervous doing this sort of thing.

Another thought, I have DVI to HDMI and feed my audio separately through the motherboard sound card (green plug) using HDMI 2 on my Samsung TV (so sound comes in separately) I'm wondering if the cable might be the issue or the fact that it's DVI to HDMI - any thoughts on this??

Lastly, any chance you could look at the log files I attached to see if you can spot anything obvious??

I appreciate your help.

Regards

Graham

gperkinson

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi All,

Would appreciate any comments about my log files or some of my comments I have made above!!

Regards

Graham

gperkinson

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Ray,

Noticed 10.4 has just come out, so I downloaded and installed the latest driver and CCC, however the new version of CCC does not give the option of setting the screen refresh rate to 50Hz which is the best setting to reduce stuttering I could find, so I ended up going back to the restore point. It appears that the "force" option is not available for Vista - only XP in the 10.4 version.

I did some searching on the net about this and there were writeup's saying that the Hz and screen refresh rates are not the same thing and that the default 24Hz for 1080i is what should be used. That setting gives a lot of stutter on my setup - when I select [shift]1 the "dropped frames" increase.

I understand from your previous comments that you use ffdshow as your codecs and I notice there are a lot of settings in there which recognise the picture size coming through and adjust accordingly - is that correct? The reason I ask is that on Freeview in New Zealand, some of the content comes through in 720 and others full 1080i. The stuttering is worse in 720 than 1080i and it would be greaqt for my machine to resize to full screen. Your thoughts?

I have ffdshow loaded, so it might be worth trying it out, however I would need to know the best settings, so any link or screenshots you could give me would be great.

I will also look at other ATI versions to get the 50Hz forced setting in the meantime and I think investigating the cable might also be worth looking at.

Any comments on the above appreciated.

Regards

Graham

winterescape

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Graham,
    1) Looking back through this thread I was not sure if you had considered SAF for codecs?
    2) is "vsync" enabled in your ATI driver?

gperkinson

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Winterscape,

I hadn't considered SAF codecs - what is the advantage over and above PDVD9 (which I'm currently running)

I will look at the "vsync" setting you mentioned - thanks. What does this do??

Regards

Graham

Update:

Ignore my questions above - found the SAF writeup - looks good!! Can I ask, did you use it to solve some of the issues I mention in this forum? I also understand what vsync is all about as well - thanks for the note - appreciated.

Graham

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom