Stuttering During Fast Motion (1 Viewer)

gperkinson

Portal Pro
October 28, 2008
Auckland
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Thanks Ray.

...... how do you check that?? Can it be adjusted? I would be very interested because when I'm copying files to my USB I notice live TV or recordings are affected.

I also have an external USB drive permanently connected - could that affect things?

I have also turned off Vista Superfetch and indexing on the RAID drive

Graham

winterescape

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    To help check drive speed download the free Hdtune and benchmark the transfer rates. download HD tune not HD tune pro, it is free.

HD Tune website

Not sure if Vista can have the same issue as XP but I discovered, on my HTPC, that XP had downgraded the transfer mode at some point causing a very poor transfer rate and “skips” or pauses in playback. See this thread for more detail
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-tv-slow-sata-transfer-rate-77394/#post574228

What you describe though seems more like slow video. What is your frame rate (Shift +1) when playing back?

To be clear. HD performance seems to show up as a skip or pause. Slow video seems to show up as jerky motion or stuttering during a fast camera pan or fast motion where most of the screen content is changing all at the same time.

gperkinson

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Winterescape,

Thanks for the note.

In regards to the transfer rate setting, I could not find the associated setting in Vista or anything on the internet about it. Perhaps this has been removed in Vista? If anyone else could shine some light on this with Vista, I would appreciate it.

Will definately try out the HDTune software and let you know how it goes.

I get the "HD Performance" issue sometimes, but the "fast camera pan" issue is the main one as you described.

In terms of frame rate using shift 1 - cut down picture 720 = EVR is saying 50 avg fps 0.00 sync 0 drawn 12481 dropped 29 jitter 0. An HD recording or live tv has drawn 2546, 21 dropped and jitter 0

Cheers

Graham

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thats what I was trying to get across in a simple way, if transfer speeds are sub 30mb's per second, HDD's may have switched to PIO mode only, this is in the BIOS and needs to be reset to UDMA :)

Usual reason is a HHD failing\failed at some point, had this when my last one died, bugged me for 24 hours :(

gperkinson

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Ray,

In Winterescapes comments, he mentions a setting in XP (see his links) - so with Vista, is this a setting in the BIOS then? Been looking on the net and cannot find anything for Vista.

Graham

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    There was nothing I could find in windows to say this had happened, I just had boringly slow transfer speeds, I think they varied between 10 and 12mb transfer speeds max, instead of upto 57mb which I am back too (sata1 mobo only)

This also affected my usb transfer speeds to external hdd.

For me this was under the advanced BIOS setting, found PIO set to auto, UDMA set to disabled, this was a individual setting that applied to each drive installed, so had to enable relevant installed HDD's

gperkinson

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Ray,

No settings for this in the BIOS :( however I noticed in the HD Tune application under Info it is saying Active: UDMA Mode 1, so I'm thinking it is not set to PIO.

Hi All,

Used HD Tune and came up with the following stats on my 1.5TB RAID Drive without running MP:

Minimum 48 MB/Sec
    Maximum 104 MB/Sec
    Average 81.1 MB/Sec
    Access Time 15.8ms
    Burst Rate 1358.6 MB/Sec
    CPU Usage 2.8%

I then did the same running a 720 size recording and then a full HD recording. There was a definite drop to 1.4 MB/Sec when the recording started and it then shot up to around 70 MB/Sec.

Minimum 1.4 MB/Sec
    Maximum 104 MB/Sec
    Average 68.1 MB/Sec
    Access Time 15.8ms
    Burst Rate 1288.2 MB/Sec
    CPU Usage 6.1%

Feedback please!!

What about graphics card drivers? I have driver version 8.640.0.0 dated 14/7/09 installed for my ATI HD 3800 Series which I believe to be the latest.

Graham

winterescape

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hi Ray,

No settings for this in the BIOS :( however I noticed in the HD Tune application under Info it is saying Active: UDMA Mode 1, so I'm thinking it is not set to PIO.

Hi All,

Used HD Tune and came up with the following stats on my 1.5TB RAID Drive without running MP:

Minimum 48 MB/Sec
    Maximum 104 MB/Sec
    Average 81.1 MB/Sec
    Access Time 15.8ms
    Burst Rate 1358.6 MB/Sec
    CPU Usage 2.8%

I then did the same running a 720 size recording and then a full HD recording. These was a definate drop to 1.4 MB/Sec when the recording started and it then shot up to around 70 MB/Sec.

Minimum 1.4 MB/Sec
    Maximum 104 MB/Sec
    Average 68.1 MB/Sec
    Access Time 15.8ms
    Burst Rate 1288.2 MB/Sec
    CPU Usage 6.1%

Feedback please!!

What about graphics card drivers? I have driver version 8.640.0.0 dated 14/7/09 installed for my ATI HD 3800 Series which I believe to be the latest.

Graham

Graham,
    Your drive stats look good to me. The benchmark while recording may not have much value as it comes down to task priority. MP should have higher priority. Not sure on that as I have never tried that myself. Also your frame rates look great. That is about what I have with HW acceleration. The one concern is the dropped frames. Mine stay close to zero. I would ask others for more comment on that . I will leave it up to others to comment on the driver version too as I have Nvidia and the issues that come with it...

Thats what I was trying to get across in a simple way, if transfer speeds are sub 30mb's per second, HDD's may have switched to PIO mode only, this is in the BIOS and needs to be reset to UDMA :)

Usual reason is a HHD failing\failed at some point, had this when my last one died, bugged me for 24 hours :(

Ray,
    Just to add some info. In XP the driver will drop back independent of what was selected in BIOS. To fix it you delete the device driver and let windows redetect it and put it back.

The cause can be as simple as a bad read/write to the drive like when the user powers down while recording. :oops:(Power loss)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom