Stuttering Live TV and Recordings with TV-Server 1.0.1 and AMD 780G (6 Viewers)

mdbarber

Portal Pro
February 19, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Thanks for advices, i tried both but still no good picture.

Than i done 2 more things, increase increase CPU clock from 1.6 to 2.2Ghz (even if my CPU usage was only about 20% on HD channels), and use mysql instead of (sh*tty) mssql and i got much improvements! Stutering occurs sometime, but rely rare comparing to previous.

Than i'm back CPU to 1.6 and got a bit more stuttering on HD, but still without it on SD channels (better than before).

So, my conclusion is that both of this things affects picture quality on TVE3. suppose it would work without issues on some dual core cpu, or at about 2.8Gz Single Core...

yeah 1.6 is a bit low, never tried it below 1.8 on a c2d post system specs see if any suggestions as to improvements can be made. got one on an amd x2 2.2 and that is nice, we are talking dual core yes?

cornholio123

Portal Member
May 15, 2009
Home Country
well, no, currently there is Celeron 420 (single core 1.6) in HTPC :) I know it's a bit slow cpu, but didn't have any speed issues with any other application for watching TV because of enabled Video acceleration on my ATI HD 2400 (cpu usage rarely goes above 20%, even with HD video)...

I will consider replacing it with some low power consumprion dual core cpu.

mdbarber

Portal Pro
February 19, 2007
Home Country
well, no, currently there is Celeron 420 (single core 1.6) in HTPC :) I know it's a bit slow cpu, but didn't have any speed issues with any other application for watching TV because of enabled Video acceleration on my ATI HD 2400 (cpu usage rarely goes above 20%, even with HD video)...

I will consider replacing it with some low power consumprion dual core cpu.

interesting but i think the fact is when you combine all the basic windows services they will stretch a 1.6ghz single core, wo adding the usual extras like av etc.
so the combined overclock+ramdisk+ reducing buffer size didn't work?

cornholio123

Portal Member
May 15, 2009
Home Country
ramdisk+ reducing buffer size helps very little, overclock helps a bit more, but interesting is that using mysql instead of mssql also helps a lot!?

now i'm backed cpu to normal speed (1.6), adjust timeshift to physical drive, and still have good picture on SD channels (which i didn't have with mssql) :)

i'll switch later today to mssql, just to check again is that realy affects picture quality

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    ramdisk+ reducing buffer size helps very little, overclock helps a bit more, but interesting is that using mysql instead of mssql also helps a lot!?

now i'm backed cpu to normal speed (1.6), adjust timeshift to physical drive, and still have good picture on SD channels (which i didn't have with mssql) :)

i'll switch later today to mssql, just to check again is that realy affects picture quality

Have you tried turning off EPG grabbing when timeshifting/recording (one of the options in TV server config) ?

It's accessing the database during EPG grabbing....

Tony

thecubist

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi all,
    unfortunately I could not figure out, what exactly caused the stuttering in my case.
    I completely reinstalled my HTPC, new windows xp, new mediaportal 1.0.2 and after some other trouble with tv-server configuration now everything seems to be fine. No stuttering at the moment, hope it will stay that way ...

Good luck with your stutterings ...
    thecubist

milagroso

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Another possible reason

Hi all,

two days ago I solved a personal stuttering problem - maybe it helps some of You.

After a reinstall of my video drivers I found that the refresh rate of the TV was set to the default 60 Hz. The TV transmission was the usual (for Europe) 50 Hz. I had ugly stuttering which went away as soon as I set the refresh rate to 50 Hz.

Even though it solved it - I'm a bit wondering why the 'Automatic refresh rate changer' didn't set the correct value by itself. But that's another hassle.

Good luck. (I'm now worrying with deinterlacing and wake-on-LAN...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom