1.12.0 Subtitle not automatically turned on (1 Viewer)

killer8

Portal Pro
July 29, 2012
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
MediaPortal Version: 1.12.0

Description
I'm using Mediaportal 1.13 pre release. It seems the way subtitles works changed in this version.

I've configured all my subtitles like:

movie.mkv
movie.srt (this is the dutch subtitle)
movie.en.mkv (this is the english subtitle)

I'm using MPC-HC and "Subtitles will be auto loaded by language preference". Languages are set to:

Subtitles: Dutch
Audio: English

In previous mediaportal versions subtitles was always turned on in a video and english or dutch was selected automatically. But in 1.13 pre release subtitles is turned off and no subtitles are shown by default. I have to enable subtitles manually now. Is it possible to always enable subtitles if available for video's? Or make it automatically enable if a subtitle with the same name like my dutch subtitles is available?

Hope this bug will be fixed or if this isn't a bug I hope it can work like it did in 1.12.

Thanks in advance

Steps to Reproduce:
Movie with subtitles with same name or .en using MPC-HC. Open a video and check if subtitles are enabled.

I'm using MP-TV-Series

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi,

This is not a bug, before bug was present :p
    MP enable subtitle if the setting is matched.

Let me explain, before (1.12 and older) subtitle was always enable what ever if match or not, if a match was found, the subtitle was selected but if the match failed, the first subtitle available was selected whatever the language was english / french / german / dutch etc.

Now with the bug fix (1.13), if MP can't find a match, subtitle will stay off (yep no match found -> no sub), but you can always select the available subtitle.

About you request : 'make it automatically enable if a subtitle with the same name like my dutch subtitles is available' -> it's a feature and surely not the correct way to do.

You should name your external subtitle with the language in the name (for example movie.dutch.srt), like this MP will know and detect the correct match and select the subtitle :)

I hope that you have understand.

Seb.

killer8

Portal Pro
    July 29, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi,

Oke, I understand and it sounds correct. I've renamed all my dutch subtitles to .nl.srt now and it works now for dutch subtitles. The problem is, when new tv shows are released only the english sub is available. So for that reason I'm also downloading the english subtitle with suffix .en.srt. In the case where no dutch subtitle is available I still prefer to have an English subtitle instead of nothing. But these are no longer activated now, same for default subtitles in mkv because my subtitle language is set to dutch which is my main language. I think many users use english subtitles as second choice when the main language isn't available so shouldn't that be an option in mediaportal to select a fallback language or something?

Another thing is, sometimes my tv shows collection is also used on other none mediaportal devices, where most mediaplayers support this file format, most of the built in mediaplayers in smart tvs don't. So I think these will no longer show subtitles now because there is no subtitle with the same name as the video file available.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi :)

I understand, so maybe a new feature can be added (fallback to a second subtitle or enable first available subtitle what ever the language match or not).

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    I have added for testing : (will create a branch today based on 1.13 Pre release) (but like it's a feature, it will not be available for 1.13 final but i will be able to create a branch for final)
    The new option : 'Subtitles will be auto loaded by first available'

upload_2015-11-24_7-56-24.png

killer8

Portal Pro
    July 29, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    That's nice:). I will give it a try as soon as you can provide an installer or files. Thank you(y)

I'm wondering with the new option if the selected language is still taken in mind? I mean if this already matches no fallback is needed anyway, only in the cases where no thing is selected.

I understand it can't be available in the final. However i'm wondering where the jira roadmap/releases tab went? I always looked here to see when the next release was coming but it seems it's gone in the new jira.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Yep I need to test regression but if language match it will take it. In fact the new option will act like the previous one.

About jira I m not an expert. But I will you to the jira link for this feature.

ravenrocks

Portal Pro
    October 11, 2007
    On a related topic:
    For a long time I have been having trouble getting the subtitles to work on Live-TV. I have chosen SWE(Swedish) in subtitle settings and when I scroll through the list of available languages after tuning a channel it shows SWE as one, but the auto-choice shows NONE. If I restart the channel it shows it correctly sometimes, but not always. This was already a problem with earlier versions. How early I can't remember, but were talking at least a year, probably more.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @ravenrocks
    If you want assistance you'll need to post log files so that we can check your configuration and investigate your claims.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom