Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    most actual PCs are also consuming upward of around 250 W to 300 W
    In which decade do you live? An "average" PC consumes far less that 100W. My Core i5 PC has 15! HDD attached to it and needs around 40-60W average. Metered direct on the power plug so including lost in power supply and similar.
    250W you only can reach with High power graphics cards, useless for everyone who did not play High-End 3D games...

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Guys,

Cool it.;)

most actual PCs are also consuming upward of around 250 W to 300 W
    "Most actual PCs" consume ca. 25W - unless you run hardcore gaming machines, which would be overkill when looking at HTPC clients. Add a few W if the client is also housing TV cards and mass storage hard disks.

However, given the low power usage of this machine (12W), it's easier to simply leave it switched on and set MP to throttle down its display when idle.
    The more of these client you want to run this way, the higher your electricity bill is going to be

You could save this by turning a light off
    That's not the right thinking. Said 30 EUR (electricity is pretty expensive in Germany) is coming on top. Imagine many clients - all of a sudden you are paying 100 EUR more...

I think an actual pc must support these power states!
    Let's agree that it should. Anyway, if S3 is not supported then the solution would obviously be to power it down when not in use.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Yep, for a "client only" the S3 is not that important. Anyone should shut down those systems if not used... I'm using Raspberry Pi for average computer work like surfing and such. And even this 2 watts consuming system I shut down if not needed.

It's a completely different story if the system is Tv server too. Than a good working S3/S4 is a must.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Won't bother sharing any stuff I find again. Too many rude, arrogant people populate these forums.
    Please continue to contribute to the MP community.

When I read the posts this morning, it did not seem to me that they were unduly infelicitous. Opinions vary; that is quite normal. Also, bear in mind that many people in the MP community are not native English speakers, and so may not be aware of the nuances implicit in the different ways of expressing a point of view.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @Lehmden
    Why did you disagree with @deadmonty 's latest post? Such a response does come across as very rude/aggressive, as do comments like
    In which decade do you live?

@deadmonty
    You're right that a lot of PCs have 250 - 300 W power supplies. However, they don't actually need/use all of that power most of the time. The rated power is not used because:
    • there is over-design to enable component upgrades and/or connection of additional peripherals (future-proofing)
    • there is over-design to handle peak power requirements (eg. HDDs spinning up - the motors can use ~5 times rated power etc.)
    • PSUs aren't 100% efficient (ie. they can't convert 100% incoming AC power to DC for the PC components); they're more like 80-90% at peak efficiency
    • many PSU designs operate most efficiently when working at between 50 and 80% load

Helios61

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi @mm1352000
    Why did you disagree with @deadmonty 's latest post? Such a response does come across as very rude/aggressive
    I disagreed too, but it has nothing to do with rudeness and arrogance. It simple means, that i have a different opinion to the statement posted by deadmonty.
    If anyone feels offended by my postings/disagrees, i am very sorry and i think, it only a big missunderstanding.
    Best regards
    Helios

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    Off topic but rude??
    It's hard to write feelings in a post - so I read all with kindness in mind :love:
    electricity is pretty expensive in Germany
    It's expensive everywhere! lol <- meant to be funny ;)
    Miss a beer or two per month...

IMO suspend is only important for PCs - low power clients just use the internal MP stuff.

spachti

Portal Pro
    July 27, 2005
    Bible Belt
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Cool down, guys.

Most of the people here are Germans, at least in this thread. Knowing from experience, German humor or soft sarcasm doesn't work when just translated into English. Believe me I know what I'm talking about, living in the states for 15 years and didn't miss ONE grease barrel to step in.
    The last sentence is only understandable for Germans, LOL.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'll start reporting back here when I receive my 89 GBP Juston Mini PC...

living in the states for 15 years and didn't miss ONE grease barrel to step in.
    Gotcha! :LOL:
    Grease.JPG

Although not living in the US, I do work for an American Company...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom