Sumvision Cyclone Mini PC (1 Viewer)

deadmonty

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2009
    Red Lodge, Suffolk, England
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Just bought one of these for £119 for use as an MP TV Client. It has a four core 1.83 MHz Atom processor and Intel Gen 7 HD graphics with 2 Gb ram and 32 Gb storage (flash?). It has Windows 8.1 (Bing Edition) pre-installed.

It has Wi Fi, Bluetooth and 10/100 Ethernet built in, and a slot for a flash card to increase storage. Don't understand why manufacturers still install 10/100 when gigabit is almost ubiquitous now.

This PC is very small, and air cooled - so its completely silent.

As an MP TV Client it is perfect, playing everything I could throw at it without dropping frames. I connect it to an AV amp through a HDMI cable. It supports HDMI and VGA output. It uses 12 W, as opposed to the 300 W HTPC it replaced.

The only let down I have encountered is the 10/100 Ethernet. I bought a USB to Gigabit Ethernet adaptor, which although it doesn't run at the stated gigabit speed (a limitation of USB 2 which runs at 480 Mbs), it makes a huge improvement when showing lists of hundreds of CDs and videos.

I was so impressed with the product and its remarkably low price that I bought a second one. And no, I don't work for Sumvision or have any affiliation to them.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Just bought one of these for £119 for use as an MP TV Client. It has a four core 1.83 MHz Atom processor and Intel Gen 7 HD graphics with 2 Gb ram and 32 Gb storage (flash?). It has Windows 8.1 (Bing Edition) pre-installed.
    I was looking at the Cyclone last week for use in a particular scenario (not as an MP client), but decided in the end to see if I could get my existing hardware to work as I want.

I am curious about the version of Windows -- does it support everything that you would expect, or is it a cut-down version?

Also, does the Cyclone support the usual low-power states, specifically sleep (S3) and hibernation (S4)? I could imagine that the manufacturer decided to omit those capabilities, on the basis that the Cyclone "consumes so little power when running".

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

deadmonty

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2009
    Home Country
    I was looking at the Cyclone last week for use in a particular scenario (not as an MP client), but decided in the end to see if I could get my existing hardware to work as I want.

I am curious about the version of Windows -- does it support everything that you would expect, or is it a cut-down version?

Also, does the Cyclone support the usual low-power states, specifically sleep (S3) and hibernation (S4)? I could imagine that the manufacturer decided to omit those capabilities, on the basis that the Cyclone "consumes so little power when running".

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Windows 8.1 With Bing is a full blown version of Windows 8.1 supplied to cheap tablet, PC manufacturers who want to supply their tech with the Windows operating system. It's free for these manufacturers.

This machine is more than adequate for daily PC use and will easily run Office with no issues. Not sure how well it would fair as a games machine.

As for S3 and S4, I suspect it doesn't support them properly. However, I haven't had a look in the BIOS yet to see what tweeks there are available.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Any experience with the JUSTOP G-PC Quad Core Windows 8.1 Mini PC ? Looks exactly like the same hardware, comes with Win 8.1 but costs 30 GBP less than the Sumvision.

deadmonty

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2009
    Home Country
    Any experience with the JUSTOP G-PC Quad Core Windows 8.1 Mini PC ? Looks exactly like the same hardware, comes with Win 8.1 but costs 30 GBP less than the Sumvision.

Just bought one from Amazon for £89, which I'll use as an MP TV Client in the kitchen. I'll let you know what it's like when it arrives. It is slightly different to the Sumvision Cyclone in terms of connectivity.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    So did I ;). However, it will take a while until I can look for myself as I have it delivered to a friend in the UK.

Since it looks as if I have come across somebody who is experienced in running these Mini PCs: what kind of remote are you using, if any?

deadmonty

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2009
    Home Country
    So did I ;). However, it will take a while until I can look for myself as I have it delivered to a friend in the UK.

Since it looks as if I have come across somebody who is experienced in running these Mini PCs: what kind of remote are you using, if any?
    Microsoft MCE RC6 remote. You can still buy RC6 remotes, but made by HP for their old Media Centre computers.

Helios61

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi @deadmonty
    Could you please give some infos about the audio proberities of the HDMI out? ->

attachment.php

Best regards
    Helios

deadmonty

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2009
    Home Country
    Hi @deadmonty
    Could you please give some infos about the audio proberities of the HDMI out? ->

attachment.php

Best regards
    Helios
    The audio properties are dependent upon what the TV or AV Amp transmits back to the display device. Mine is connected to an AV amp and so the HDMI properties are different to yours. The Cyclone is HDMI 1.4 so can do pretty much anything.

Helios61

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The audio properties are dependent upon what the TV or AV Amp transmits back to the display device.
    Unfortuantely thts not correct. For example: Most NVidia cards are not capable to output 88,2 Khz or 176,4 Khz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom