Support for Futaba DM140GINK (2 Viewers)

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Thanks for the encouraging response! The watchdog issue is a nit IMHO. What would please me more is to have the mini-display show what MP is doing when it wakes up to make a recording or to refresh the EPG. I see that recording was discussed a long time ago:
    Mini Display Plugin
    but the MP client obviously knows when a recording is taking place and should be able to provide that info in a single-seat installation. Perhaps it its already possible by adding the appropriate info to MiniDisplay.xml, but I wouldn't know what to add.
    if you can point me to some info about how to configure it, I would be happy to update the wiki :)
    Mini Display - MediaPortal 1 - MediaPortal Wiki

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @rsbrux So you want the recording status to show up on your mini-display?
    I understand you have a Fujistu Scaleo E with a Futaba DM-140GINK VFD.
    Looking at the MP1 driver code it seems that VFD has a recording icon it should therefore be displayed accordingly if MP1 is running.

Last edited:

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    @rsbrux So you want the recording status to show up on your mini-display?
    That would be great! Even better would be to see what it is recording. I suppose it is out of scope to see when it is grabbing EPG, as the client probably doesn't know when the TV server is doing that.
    @rsbruxI understand you have a Fujistu Scaleo E with a Futaba DM-140GINK VFD.
    Looking at the MP1 driver code it seems that VFD has a recording icon it should therefore be displayed accordingly if MP1 is running.
    I don't recall ever seeing the icons displayed by the driver I am using. I found in this post what looks like the binary/hex commands needed to address them, but I haven't found any way to send anything other than text to the display.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'm not sure what kind of hardware we are talking about.
    @rsbux Could you provide reference of your computer case and display?
    Could you take picture of your case and close ups of the display?

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    I'm not sure what kind of hardware we are talking about.
    @rsbux Could you provide reference of your computer case and display?
    Could you take picture of your case and close ups of the display?
    Sorry for the confusion. I just noticed that the post I referred to is about an LCD display, even though it is in a VFD thread. I have a Futaba DM-140 GINK, which was the original equipment in my Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo E. I have read that the case is also sold as Artisan Elonex. Photos are attached. I misspoke about the icons. The volume indicator works with the MiniDisplay driver, but I don't recall ever seeing any of the other symbols active.

Attachments

• Scaleo E VFD.zip
      7 MB

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for the pictures. I posted them here again as images rather than zip.
    From the code it looks like the REC icon should be working. You can test that yourself by starting a recording and see if REC is lighting up.
    It could also be that your VFD display is defect as I understand that hardware is rather old.
    I've asked Futaba to provide me with the specifications for your DM140GINK display.
    We should really move that discussion to another thread.

DM-140GINK.png 20170820_231103.jpg

Attachments

• 20170820_231122.jpg
      3.3 MB

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Attaching the specs from Futaba and they are similar to the ones from that MDM166 VFD.
    So apparently your display is an MDM140AA.

Now I took another look at the MP1 source code and I could see a few reason why the REC icon would not work.
    Are any icons working outside of the volume ones?
    Do you get any icon when doing recording?

If you are interested in collaborating with me on that one I could add support for your VFD to CIC which supports MP1 through the SharpLibDisplay driver.

Attachments

• MDM140AA.pdf
      225.3 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom