Support for .RAW image format? (2 Viewers)

ceck

Portal Member
January 9, 2009
For me the solution is configure mediaportal for use the RAW plug-in installed on windows.

The plug-in is provide by camera manufacture (Nikon, Canon etc.).

The plug-in permitted to Windows open raw image and saw thumbnail.

I think this option isn't impossible to integrate.

What do you think?

Tanks

jonbenton

Portal Member
June 24, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Agreed, using the RAW codec installed from various manufactures to view thumbs and pictures in explorer should be like they are for the decoders and plugins for watching videos.

The ability to view RAW images in MediaPortal would be a nice feature, albeit not the best option but I think the easiest to implement.

As far as viewing RAW images in MediaPortal "just shoot jpeg" most my images require just a little white balance and then there is the studio pictures, so viewing them on the couch would be a huge plus for future processing and significant other browsing.

People who shoot in RAW are most likely looking for the highest quality and most flexable (in terms of post processing) format a "digital negative". Leave jpeg for point and shoots and people who shoot in full auto or program modes, or for pics you don't care about.

Better still would be to view my Lightroom catalog in MediaPortal.
If it was not for Lightroom I would have a huge amount of processed images, so gone are those days.

Need vs. want. As far as needs go none of us need a HTPC but the fact remains and we all want features. So please don't knock those of us who "want" something different than the masses.

corvy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2007
    Rykkinn, Akershus
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I add a .nef (Nikon raw format) file to know extensions so yet i have a preview of images when open my pictures folder inside MediaPortal, but, when i start a slide show the images are very pixelate.

I saw a "file property" tab and the dimension of images result 160x120, that are very strange because the real image dimension are 3008x2000 (it's 12bit raw image).

When you add it to the extensions then MP's thumbnail grabber will extract existing thumbs which are embedded into the metadata. These are low quality of course...

To all people who seem to cannot read - maybe a little more direct:
    If you WANT to watch RAW images with Mediaportal you most likely DON'T want to shoot in RAW mode at all :rolleyes:

There is NO point to support RAW in an HTPC app. If you do not have the time or lack the skill to produce something beautiful out of those RAW files (imho only an emergency option to recover rare moments with bad lighting) then please shoot in JPEG! Besides the comments of some reviews in magazines your camera will produce better images than you most likely get out of the RAW files.

MP will always be designed for watching / showing content. If something wasn't worth to be processed at your lab you shouldn't consider showing it to your guests :p

I shoot all my pictures in RAW to allow myself the aditional tweaking at a later point if wanted. I do not at all agree with this standpoint. All picture present type programs will support RAW in the future cause the stoarage cost is not an argument over the quality and grade of adjustments you can do afterword. Mass converting to JPG is just silly, I do that for printing and such, but I would like to browse my pictures on my mediaportal. :)

:D and :sorry: for naggin ;)

eXces

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 21, 2008
    Verona, Italy
    Home Country
    Moldova Moldova
    Hi.
    Same here.
    I shoot ONLY in raw, and after post-processing them i still keep them in raw(who knows maybe some day i will want to do some more tweaking).
    The only time i need jpg is when i post on web.
    It would be very nice to have support for raw files in MP (at least an option to use an external program like for videos...)
    Thx.

JorisFRST

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2007
    Well, I kinda agree with the points put here, as RAW is RAW, but now i'm using lightroom, and pictures I print myself are never converted anymore to JPG.

But showing the RAW picture itself is no use anyway, as it needs work. Lightroom for instance is non destructive and keeps the raw, but the image you want the view is the one with metadata processed. (same with the canon software)

So I'm double on this, yes, nice to have, but alot of processing time to view the pictures you really want on the screen.

But it would be nice to be able to scroll through your raws on tv, and just have a notepad in the sofa and write down the keepers (wich you'll work on later).

Oh well, maybe it's easier to just launch lightroom full screen, and assign a shortcut key to your remote so you can set the star rating on the pictures ? Useless of course if you're just showing pictures to family and were to lazy to develop that last few pictures you took of them 2 years ago, lol.

Oh, btw, for lightroom users.

Lightroom itself builds a jpg preview list of all those pictures.

So maybe we just need another way of browsing through pictures ?

A media portal application where you can select the folders you want included,

wich then gets indexed and you get a view where they are presented on date.

Oh well, we're all way to lazy, just extract the raw jpg used in the camera to do the preview, there small programs out there that can do this in batch....

schan

Portal Member
    January 10, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I don't see any difference in requesting MP to support multiple picture format compare to requesting MP to support multiple video format. If MP native video player supports AVI, DVIX, MP2, X264 and other format video clip why can't MP picture player render JPEG pictures and NEF and CR2 or any RAW pictures.

I shoot in RAW format and I don't post process each and every pictures I took. For sure I don't want to use MP to edit my pictures but I still want to enjoy those unprocessed picture in MP.

is99

June 29, 2009
    I add a .nef (Nikon raw format) file to know extensions so yet i have a preview of images when open my pictures folder inside MediaPortal, but, when i start a slide show the images are very pixelate.

I saw a "file property" tab and the dimension of images result 160x120, that are very strange because the real image dimension are 3008x2000 (it's 12bit raw image).

When you add it to the extensions then MP's thumbnail grabber will extract existing thumbs which are embedded into the metadata. These are low quality of course...

To all people who seem to cannot read - maybe a little more direct:
    If you WANT to watch RAW images with Mediaportal you most likely DON'T want to shoot in RAW mode at all :rolleyes:

There is NO point to support RAW in an HTPC app. If you do not have the time or lack the skill to produce something beautiful out of those RAW files (imho only an emergency option to recover rare moments with bad lighting) then please shoot in JPEG! Besides the comments of some reviews in magazines your camera will produce better images than you most likely get out of the RAW files.

MP will always be designed for watching / showing content. If something wasn't worth to be processed at your lab you shouldn't consider showing it to your guests :p

I'm sorry but I must say that your wrong !
    Why there is no point to support RAW ?!
    What is the difference betwen RAW and JPEG ? They are both image formats ! Its true RAW is very "havy" and consume a lot of PC power to open but still its an image format ! Today most of the new PCs are so powerful that they wont have any problem to open it very very fast.

Today more and more people uses DSLRs and use RAW mode and usually there is no need to convert becuase 99% of imaging software supports RAW (even Picasa that is amed for the mass market) so why to start converting to JPEG only in order to be able to see it in MediaPortal ? If I will want to make post processing then ok, but I still have 90% of the images not processed and I still want to see them in MediaPortal.

Nikon for example released a long time ago a codec for Windows that enables to see NEF files in all Windows aplications so I really don't think that this is such a big deal to support them under MediaPortal too.

mouse

Portal Member
    April 15, 2010
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    There is some news about the support for the .raw (Nikon d70 .nef for me!)???

noxx2

Portal Pro
    September 10, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: Support for .RAW image format?

There is some news about the support for the .raw (Nikon d70 .nef for me!)???

i think no. but i found this one here:
    Fast Picture Viewer | Image Codec Pack for Windows 7, Vista and XP

with this driver is it possible to view RAW under Windows Media Center and Windows Explorer. the
    latest version isnt free, but this codec pack is one of the latest free-versions:
    FastPictureViewer WIC RAW Codec Pack | Images Download | PCWorld

regard

Attachments

• FastPictureViewer_v1.7.zip
      30.7 KB

mouse

Portal Member
    April 15, 2010
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Already installed but no luck to view the nef's into MePo...did it work in your system?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom