[TV] Switch timeshift from one client to another (1 Viewer)

cnicolas

Portal Member
November 19, 2006
Home Country
France France
Hi !

I suggest a nice feature : The ablity to switch TV display (via timeshifting) from one TV client to another (in a multiseat environnement of course).
This permit to begin watch TV with some timeshift in one place (kitchen for example) and at some time, pause program, stop client, going to another room/client (bedroom for example) and recover TV program were it was paused on first client.

Thank for your response if this is possible in MP future...

MrCrabs

Portal Pro
January 21, 2010
Braunschweig
Home Country
Germany Germany
Placeshifting is a nice name for this feature. And that would be cool. How often do I watch tv in living room and when going to bed you need to hurry not to miss your show.

MrCrabs

Portal Pro
January 21, 2010
Braunschweig
Home Country
Germany Germany
Maybe it could be done i a way like pausing on the first client and there via context menu you can send the tv-stream information to the second client. Once you arrive there it already waits for you just to press play.
It should also be possible to grab the timeshifting information from another client, so the other way around. I really like this the more I think about it.

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Placeshifting already works with MP, not yet very user friendly, but it works. To do:
    1. Watch on MP client 1, decide to placeshift, press Pause.
    2. Go to MP client 2, watch the same TV channel and rewind or skip backwards until you find the place you were watching press pause
    3. Stop the MP client 1 and shutdown (if you like and if it is not the server ;-) )
    4. Watch the rest on MP client 2

There are some ideas to improve the support on this, but that will probably not make it into 1.3 (as far as I know).

This works since in MP the timeshift buffer is shared with all clients watching the same channel.

ROLA

Portal Pro
    February 15, 2010
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Nice!
    I've been missing this feature, but now I know how to do it.
    Another solution would be to transfer the timeshift into a recording..
    The recording cound then be picked upp by any client.
    I know MP does not support recording of timeshift, but It would be nice to have..

MrCrabs

Portal Pro
    January 21, 2010
    Braunschweig
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Recording of timeshifting....would be nice. This teature is names "record after view" I guess. Is that not possible in a technical way or is it just not implemented?

Oh, starting a recording of your watched program on the one client instead of pressing pause basicly does the same as placeshifting with the only exception that you can only watch that one show you starting the recording for and can't watch any further on the second client. So it is placeshifting light.

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Recording of timeshifting....would be nice. This teature is names "record after view" I guess. Is that not possible in a technical way or is it just not implemented?

Oh, starting a recording of your watched program on the one client instead of pressing pause basicly does the same as placeshifting with the only exception that you can only watch that one show you starting the recording for and can't watch any further on the second client. So it is placeshifting light.

I don't get your "placeshifting light"? You can view all programs on all MP clients, you can view all currently recording or timeshifting shows on all your clients. Of course if the server is unaware that it should have been recording something it will not be available later - right now there is no "record everything and keep it for X hours" mode of operation (usually limited by TV cards, bandwidth etc. anyway).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom