Switching from WMC with Hauppauge PVR-2250 to MP1 (1 Viewer)

Tinkerer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 1, 2015
    California
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I have been looking for a replacement for my WMC as I prepare to move to Windows 10. Presently I am trying MP2 summer release on Windows 8.1, attempting to setup using my existing Hauppauge PVR-2250 ATSC tuner card. I have looked through the Wiki to figure out how to set it up but the information does not appear current. So here are my questions to those who have experience and expertise on MP2:
    1- Would MP2 work with the Hauppauge PVR-2250 tuner card for OTA stations?
    2- Where can I find step by step instructions to configure MP2 for the above, the guide and PVR settings?
    Thank you in anticipation.

Tinkerer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 1, 2015
    California
    Home Country
    Looks like I posted this to the wrong forum. Would a moderator please move it to the Newcomers forum.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome! :)

I have looked through the Wiki to figure out how to set it up but the information does not appear current.
    The wiki content should all be current. So, please can you tell me which information you thought wasn't current. I want to know so we can fix it or clarify for you.

1- Would MP2 work with the Hauppauge PVR-2250 tuner card for OTA stations?
    Yes. :)
    MediaPortal is the front-end; TV Server is the backend and handles tuner support. So, technically the question should be whether TV Server would work with the 2250... but the answer is yes, you can get your tuner working. Personally I'd have recommended MP1 over MP2. MP2 is a work in progress whereas MP1 is mature and stable.

2- Where can I find step by step instructions to configure MP2 for the above, the guide and PVR settings?
    Most of the setup is the same for MP1 and MP2 (since you're actually working with TV Server, which is used by both MP1 and MP2 for TV support).

Scanning is very simple. The options are explained here:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...rver_Configuration/02_TV_Servers/7b_Scan_ATSC

For an OTA scan, literally all you have to do is select "digital terrestrial" and then click "scan". Not much to explain. :)

For EPG you have a few options. The wiki explains a lot:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/13_Setup_Guides/2_TV_Setup/4_TV_Guide_Setup_(EPG)

I'll briefly highlight the choices for you (instructions linked where available):
    1. mc2xml + XMLTV plugin. This is probably the best option. You have secondary choices for your mc2xml data source. These are mostly explained on the mc2xml home page. Just briefly:
      1. SchedulesDirect data ($25 per year). Great data, reasonable cost.
      2. MS legacy. Completely free, but currently not working in the US. Don't use.
      3. MS new. One time $20 "donation" to mc2xml developer. Should work fine.
      4. Titan TV. I assume this works, but I haven't heard of many people using it.
    2. zap2xml + XMLTV plugin. Very similar to the above except with zap2xml instead of mc2xml. Free. You should pretty much be able to follow the mc2xml guide linked above and mentally substitute zap2xml where you read mc2xml.
    3. IMDB + WebEPG. Free, but a little complex/technical to setup.
    There's also a dedicated SchedulesDirect plugin, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have further questions. :)

Regards,
    mm

Tinkerer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 1, 2015
    California
    Home Country
    Thank you for your prompt answers and hints. From what I recall, the Wiki was talking about some menu options that I couldn't find. It's possible they were referring to MP1 and I had MP2 installed. I am reinstalling MP1 to benefit from a stable environment. One of the things I had missing was option to create logs. Hopefully with MP1 installation, they will be there.
    I'm reading the documentation and then will set it up. It's great to have such detailed documentation available. Thank you all.

Tinkerer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 1, 2015
    California
    Home Country
    For EPG you have a few options. The wiki explains a lot:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/13_Setup_Guides/2_TV_Setup/4_TV_Guide_Setup_(EPG)

I'll briefly highlight the choices for you (instructions linked where available):
    1. mc2xml + XMLTV plugin. This is probably the best option. You have secondary choices for your mc2xml data source. These are mostly explained on the mc2xml home page. <SNIP>.
    2. zap2xml + XMLTV plugin. Very similar to the above except with zap2xml instead of mc2xml. Free. You should pretty much be able to follow the mc2xml guide linked above and mentally substitute zap2xml where you read mc2xml.
    I've downloaded MP1 and followed instruction to install it. Scanned my tuner and moved my channels to My Favorites. Created an account at zap2xml, set preferences and downlaoded zap2xml and stored its files in C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\xmltv. Now I am stuck at Setup XMLTV Plugin and Import function has not completed even an hour after clicking on it. Do I need xmltv.exe in here as well?
    Appreciate help in getting past this hurdle.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It's not frozen but it doesn't do anything.
    Sounds like you may have missed a step.
    The general process is:
    1. On the first tab, set location of tvguide.xml file.
    2. Click import. This will import your channels so you can do mapping on the second tab.
    3. On the second tab, select a channel group and click load.
    4. Configure the mapping. In other words, for each channel that TV Server had, select the appropriate guide data channel from the drop-down box.
    5. When you're done click save.
    6. Go back to the first tab and click import again. This will import your program listings for the channels that you mapped.
    Is that what you did?
    If so, what does the status box say at the bottom of the first tab?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom