Switching from WMC with Hauppauge PVR-2250 to MP1 (1 Viewer)

Skywizard

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Canberra
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I am fed up with the remote functions not fully working with my MP 1; I have never had it working satisfactorily. I am told the WMC remote should just work - well it does not for me so I am seeking an out of the box solution even if it means buying a new case.

I would like to know what people are using for remote control of MP1. I have had a lot of trouble getting any decent remote control of my system using the WMC remote (WMC IR RC6 remote and for that matter a logitech touch) and the antec fusion HTTP case with IR Rxer and iMon module and drivers - I can get the Front view showing information OK and the windows MC IR keyboard seems to work OK for most things. I had no trouble with Windows MC - the remote worked very well.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I am fed up with the remote functions not fully working with my MP 1; I have never had it working satisfactorily. I am told the WMC remote should just work - well it does not for me
    For an MCE-compatible remote to work with MP1 "straight out of the box", I would suggest that it needs to satisfy these requirements:

(1) It needs to be an RC6 remote that is stated as being "MCE (or WMC) compatible" The "RC6" requirement eliminates the Ortek VRC-1100 remote (and its clones), the Emprex RF remote, and others.

(2) The remote needs to be sold with its own IR receiver. This requirement eliminates HTPC cases and motherboards that have the IR receiver built-in.

(3) The IR receiver needs to plug into a USB socket on the motherboard. This requirement eliminates IR receivers that plug into the tuner card (such as the IR receivers and remotes included with Hauppauge and TBS tuner cards).

I am not claiming that it is impossible to get working all of the remotes and receivers that fail the above requirements, but I do think that it is more difficult, and best left to those individuals who "like a challenge".

I use this remote:
    http://www.oneforall.co.uk/urc7140-essence-4.html

with a Dell-branded version of this IR receiver:
    http://www.cohaus-berlin.de/shop/RC...C6-Infrared-Receiver-Model-OVU411000::11.html

You will notice that I have violated one of my own three requirements, by using an IR receiver that was not sold with the remote.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    a logitech touch
    I forgot to mention that I recently purchased a Logitech Harmony 650, and that works fine with my Dell-branded version of the Philips IR receiver. So your Harmony Touch should work correctly with an appropriate IR receiver and the correct Harmony setup.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Btw, shouldn't we change the topic to name "MP1"? The whole thread (except first 3 posts) are related to MP1...

Skywizard

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Canberra
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I am fed up with the remote functions not fully working with my MP 1; I have never had it working satisfactorily. I am told the WMC remote should just work - well it does not for me
    For an MCE-compatible remote to work with MP1 "straight out of the box", I would suggest that it needs to satisfy these requirements:

(1) It needs to be an RC6 remote that is stated as being "MCE (or WMC) compatible" The "RC6" requirement eliminates the Ortek VRC-1100 remote (and its clones), the Emprex RF remote, and others.

(2) The remote needs to be sold with its own IR receiver. This requirement eliminates HTPC cases and motherboards that have the IR receiver built-in.

(3) The IR receiver needs to plug into a USB socket on the motherboard. This requirement eliminates IR receivers that plug into the tuner card (such as the IR receivers and remotes included with Hauppauge and TBS tuner cards).

I am not claiming that it is impossible to get working all of the remotes and receivers that fail the above requirements, but I do think that it is more difficult, and best left to those individuals who "like a challenge".

I use this remote:
    http://www.oneforall.co.uk/urc7140-essence-4.html

with a Dell-branded version of this IR receiver:
    http://www.cohaus-berlin.de/shop/RC...C6-Infrared-Receiver-Model-OVU411000::11.html

You will notice that I have violated one of my own three requirements, by using an IR receiver that was not sold with the remote.

OK I am thinking more clearly now.....

1 Yes I do have the RC6 (and a Harmony touch - if I can get the RC6 working I will then move to the Harmony)

2 Ah, this is my contributory to my problem. The ANTEC case IR worked well with WMC BUT I was using Win 7 and now WIN 10 (without WMC) and WMC so I guess there was a file with WN 7 that made it all work and is now not included in WIN 10 - well it sounds good to me.....

3 Yes the ANTEC fusion IR does connect to USB.

So where to now.... I will look for an IR RXer. I see Logitech have a Logitech smart controller that has an IR blaster that connects to the controller, from what I can tell so I guess I can then use the (logitech and RC6?) IR devices....

Hang on a tick - I have an old DELL PC from a friend that had a TV tuner and RC6 remote - I have just dug out the old IR USB RXer - I will see if that works...
    it is this one .- http://www.cnet.com/products/philips-ovu4003-wireless-remote-control-receiver-usb/specs/ (it has a 4 metre cable on it, well it is very long)

Last edited:

Skywizard

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Canberra
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Well my theory was right! I pulled out the very old - must be 10 years old, IR RXer plugged it into a USB port and all is working just fine in win 10 and MP1 with the RC6 WMC remote!
    I have uninstalled the imon software.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I pulled out the very old - must be 10 years old, IR RXer plugged it into a USB port and all is working just fine in win 10 and MP1 with the RC6 WMC remote!
    Excellent! :)

It should be possible to set up your Harmony Touch to work with the IR receiver that you are now using. I understand that there are various WMC configs that the Harmony software supports, so you might need to try different ones to find the correct one. (I have only recently got my Harmony 650, so I am not yet familiar with the Harmony software.)

Skywizard

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Canberra
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    so you might need to try different ones to find the correct one.
    I have a had a play with the Harmony Media portal set up. The problem I see is there is a device for media portal then you must put in a model number as the harmony is geared towards devices rather than software. I am unsure what to use for a model number. I suppose I should try MP1.12 - other models I have used is windows, Windows MCE. I would appreciate if others who have successfully configured the harmony for MP share their configuration.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I am unsure what to use for a model number.
    I have just had another go with the Harmony setup software for my 650. I am still getting to grips with this, and I have not yet got the activities to work correctly (not sure whether that is incorrect setup or incorrect expectations on my part :confused:). However...

...For my HTPC device, the Harmony software suggested that I specify the manufacturer and model number of the IR receiver. I first tried "Hewlett Packard" with model number "OVU4001", as I also have one of their IR receivers (although not plugged in at the moment). That mostly worked with the Dell IR receiver, but a few buttons were incorrect, e.g. both the RETURN and EXIT buttons did nothing (so no way to exit from an MP panel). :(

Then I tried "Philips" as the manufacturer (since my Dell IR receiver is a rebranded version of the Philips), with model number "OVU4120". That works better. :) The RETURN button now works correctly, and the actions shown on the LCD screen ("My Videos", "My Music", "Recorded TV", "Live", etc.) also work correctly. The only oddities seem to be the EXIT button (which does nothing), and the MENU button (which seems to act as "Play DVD"). I think that I woud prefer "Play DVD" to be assigned to a button on the LCD screen, and the MENU button to act as HOME (which is what it does with my One-for-All remote when using the Dell IR reciever).

Overall, the Harmony software seems very polished, and it uses fuzzy matching when you enter names and model numbers (so it prompts with a list of similar names/numbers if it does not recognise the ones that you entered). However, it does seem to be a bit on the slow side (possibly a result of being internet-based). Also, I hope that it is possible to customise individual buttons, although it was not obvious how to do that.

Skywizard

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Canberra
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks - I now have a working Harmony - I entered Media Portal and then the model of my IR OVU 4003/00 It brought up several choices MS was one Phillips was another and there was one other MS with different numbers. I chose the Phillips and I tried the others and they all seemed to be the same. The menu button did nothing so I reprogrammed that to be the green button.
    That is about it..... all now working pretty well.... I even have a Media portal Icon for the screen background... I'ml as happy as a pig rolling in the brown stuff......

I do not use the activities - I prefer the separate control of the devices.... If olny the power on/off would work through the HDMI - it does for the Humax PVR...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom