Switching from WMC with Hauppauge PVR-2250 to MP1 (1 Viewer)

Shadime

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 2, 2009
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi,

Hi have the same remote and I only have selected 'use Microsoft MCE or Keyboard' in the Microsoft MCE tab in remote, and nothing ticked in the Hauppauge tab.
    All works fine for me.

Cheers

Shadime

Tinkerer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 1, 2015
    California
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Does MP store its remote mappings in C:\Windows\irremote.ini or some other place?
    No.
    I am still at square one regarding remote control. I should have asked my question differently. Where does MP store the learned Remote mappings? I wish to explore what codes it is storing for each key press so I can manually edit and put the correct codes if necessary.
    Which log file should I be looking at to understand the remote interactions?
    What's the most popular/preferred remote among MP users?[DOUBLEPOST=1439260569][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Hi,

Hi have the same remote and I only have selected 'use Microsoft MCE or Keyboard' in the Microsoft MCE tab in remote, and nothing ticked in the Hauppauge tab.
    All works fine for me.

Cheers

Shadime
    Thank you for sharing your experience. There must be something else wrong with my installation. I have tried the Microsoft MCE handler alone as well as you described but the remote doesn't get any response from MP. Moreover, the remote icon stays in the task bar after starting MP.

Last edited:

Tinkerer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 1, 2015
    California
    Home Country
    I'm currently trying to use HID handler but my remote is not working. Where can I find information about manually customizing "Generic-HID.xml" to work with my MCE remote? I have one copy sitting in each of these folders:
    C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\InputDeviceMappings
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\defaults\InputDeviceMappings

Is there a tool or log file that records key presses on a remote?

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Where does MP store the learned Remote mappings?
    I didn't know off the top of my head, so had to check the code. For the Hauppauge handler it looks like it would be in "c:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\Defaults\InputDeviceMappings\Hauppauge HCW.xml" or "c:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\InputDeviceMappings\Hauppauge HCW.xml". The file name is definitely right; not so sure about the directory.

It certainly isn't irremote.ini. That's Hauppauge's file, and we don't touch it. It is possible that you can fix the problem by modifying that file, but I'm not able to help you with that.

Sorry, I don't understand the question. Can you give an example?

What's the most popular/preferred remote among MP users?
    I don't know, but if I had to guess I'd say a WMC/MCE-compatible or harmony remote.

Where can I find information about manually customizing "Generic-HID.xml" to work with my MCE remote?
    I don't think that customising that XML file would work unless the remote commands were coming in via that "handler".
    In any case, I don't know the answer to the question.
    @Stéphane Lenclud
    Are you able to answer this?

Tinkerer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 1, 2015
    California
    Home Country
    Let me say that support available through this forum is much more than I have ever received from Microsoft on WMC. I can't thank the Team enough for that.

Thank you for looking into an answer to my query. I'm quite possibly not communicating effectively and creating more work for you than necessary. My dilemma is that I have MP 1.12 almost fully installed and configured but for some reason my remote doesn't control the interface. Controlling it with a mouse is not a practical option in the long run. I had first installed MP2 and uninstalled it after learning that it is still a work in progress and then installed MP 1.12. Either that left some unwanted code or I've failed installing MP1.12 correctly and that is impacting my remote which for many others works out of the box.

Sorry, I don't understand the question. Can you give an example?

In case my remote is not mapped correctly, I am assuming that each remote key press is being logged and unless it matches what is expected by the respective handler. In my rudimentary troubleshooting, I want to be able to see what each of my key presses read-as by the handler then I want to see how it differs from the handler's configuration XML. So for example if I press the Green button, what is the code received by the handler and what was it expecting. The same goes for any button. That's what I meant by 'the remote interaction'.

I haven't seen many other MP users having an issue with getting their remote to work so I'm thinking it has to be something with my installation and I'm looking for ways to address it.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Let me say that support available through this forum is much more than I have ever received from Microsoft on WMC. I can't thank the Team enough for that.
    You're welcome. We're happy to help. :)

I understand your situation. Unfortunately I'm coming to the end of my expertise with remotes, so struggling a little bit to offer further helpful input.

I have a couple of Hauppauge test cards with remotes. The remotes "just work" with MP after installing IR32 (Hauppauge IR remote driver) and enabling the Hauppauge remote handler. In my opinion, the key difference is that my remote controls are not MCE-compatible like yours. For reference, mine look like this:
    http://www.hauppauge.de/pics/mediamvp-hd_remote_control_big.jpg
    http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTE2NlgxNjAw/z/KDoAAOSwBahU0tyR/$_57.JPG

As we've seen, MediaPortal does actually receive the commands from your remote. It just doesn't know what to do with them. I had assumed that the purpose of the "learn" function was to solve that... but that's a guess, as I've never had to use that function myself.

In case my remote is not mapped correctly, I am assuming that each remote key press is being logged and unless it matches what is expected by the respective handler.
    You're correct. The key presses are logged when the extended logging option is enabled.

In my rudimentary troubleshooting, I want to be able to see what each of my key presses read-as by the handler then I want to see how it differs from the handler's configuration XML. So for example if I press the Green button, what is the code received by the handler and what was it expecting. The same goes for any button. That's what I meant by 'the remote interaction'.
    Okay.
    As mentioned above, you need to enable the extended logging option in the remotes section -> Hauppauge tab of MediaPortal Configuration.
    After that you should see the button presses appear in c:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\log\MediaPortal.log like this:
    [2015-08-09 15:13:31,362] [Log ] [17 ] [INFO ] - HCW: received: CMD|0|-8587624484741149788~
    [2015-08-09 15:13:31,368] [Log ] [17 ] [INFO ] - HCW: Accepted: CMD|0|-8587624484741149788
    [2015-08-09 15:13:31,377] [Log ] [17 ] [INFO ] - HCW: elapsed time: 187
    [2015-08-09 15:13:31,383] [Log ] [17 ] [INFO ] - HCW: sameCommandCount: 1
    [2015-08-09 15:13:31,390] [Log ] [17 ] [INFO ] - HCW: same command, timeout false
    [2015-08-09 15:13:31,394] [Log ] [17 ] [INFO ] - HCW: repeat filter accepted: 0

The first line is the input.
    "CMD" means it is a button press.
    "0" is the button that was pressed... which I think is a sign of failure, because all your button presses seem to be detected as zeroes.
    The last part is a date/time encoded in a non-human readable format.

You can also monitor HcwHelper.log (which I believe is in the same folder as above). Your previous log files show a bunch of entries like this:
    [2015-08-09 15:13:31,081] [Log ] [1 ] [INFO ] - HCWHelper: command sent: 0

Again, the 0 is meant to be the button you pushed... but all your buttons are currently generating zeroes.

Actually, as I write this... my memory is jogged...
    Can you please check if this patched HcwHelper.exe helps you:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/mp-and-hauppauge-r-005-remote.107017/#post-1088217

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    What's the most popular/preferred remote among MP users?
    The older I get, the more I realise that I am turning into my late father. He never discarded anything until it was worn out. So, not only do I understand your desire to use your Hauppauge remote control, I am in sympathy with it, since I would want to do the same. (y)

However, I also subscribe to the "life is too short" argument, as in: "life is too short to spend weeks or months trying to get a Hauppauge remote to work, when you could instead buy a suitable remote and receiver combination, plug it in, and have it work immediately with MP 1.12".

The following remote and receiver combination are known to work:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Remote-Control-Receiver-Emitter-Vista/dp/B00AYE6JDO

Whatever you do, do not buy the following remote and receiver combination (it is sold under various brand names -- Ortek, Addesso, Gmyle, Hama, Sanoxy -- but they all look the same):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Windows-Control-Infrared-Receiver-Ultimate/dp/B003ZV3J72

I use the following IR receiver (mine is Dell branded, but is identical to this Philips unit); works OK, but is definitely a candidate for "the ugliest IR receiver ever manufactured":

http://www.cohaus-berlin.de/shop/RC...C6-Infrared-Receiver-Model-OVU411000::11.html

The following "One-for-All" remote is strongly favoured by the experts on http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/index.php, and has the advantage that it supports multiple devices and is user programmable using an open-source software called "RMIR" (downloadable from hifi-remote.com).

http://www.cohaus-berlin.de/shop/Un...One-For-All-Simple-4-Model-URC-6440::150.html

I use a One-for-All Xsight Lite (now discontinued, but also programmable using RMIR). I am not suggesting that you buy from the above sellers (which are in Europe), but cohaus-berlin.de has a good selection of units and will give you an idea of what is available, some of which you may be able to buy in the USA. But take care: you must choose a remote and receiver combination that:

(1) Claims full compatibility with Windows WMC (or "Microsoft MCE").
    (2) Has "RC6" printed somewhere on the remote or packaging.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Last edited:

Tinkerer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 1, 2015
    California
    Home Country
    Again, the 0 is meant to be the button you pushed... but all your buttons are currently generating zeroes.

Actually, as I write this... my memory is jogged...
    Can you please check if this patched HcwHelper.exe helps you:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/mp-and-hauppauge-r-005-remote.107017/#post-1088217
    You have nailed it in that all my buttons are generating zeroes.
    Thank you for the patched version of HcwHelper. I copied it to MediaPortal folder but it didn't help.

The older I get, the more I realise that I am turning into my late father. He never discarded anything until it was worn out. So, not only do I understand your desire to use your Hauppauge remote control, I am in sympathy with it, since I would want to do the same. (y)

However, I also subscribe to the "life is too short" argument, as in: "life is too short to spend weeks or months trying to get a Hauppauge remote to work, when you could instead buy a suitable remote and receiver combination, plug it in, and have it work immediately with MP 1.12".

Golden words indeed! I, too am guilty of resisting discarding things but I also have another affliction i.e. knowing that there is nothing physically wrong with my 1 year old remote, I take it a challenge to figure out what is going on and finding a solution. I can buy the suggested remote but want to be certain that the problem is not with my installation of MP.
    But take care: you must choose a remote and receiver combination that:

(1) Claims full compatibility with Windows WMC (or "Microsoft MCE").
    (2) Has "RC6" printed somewhere on the remote or packaging.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
    My current remote meets both of these criteria and was working fine with WMC until I switched to Windows 8.1 and MP.

Attached are the log files after I copied the patched HcwHelper. Please note that my ir32 driver and the HcwHeler are both installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal. I am also getting crashes of HcwHelper and am attaching the crash report files.

Attachments

• AppCrash_HcwHelper.zip
      83.6 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thank you for the patched version of HcwHelper. I copied it to MediaPortal folder but it didn't help.
    Ahhhh, but if you check the new HcwHelper log that you posted, you'll see:
    [2015-08-14 17:21:42,993] [Log ] [1 ] [INFO ] - HCWHelper: command sent: 0
    [2015-08-14 17:21:43,189] [Log ] [1 ] [INFO ] - debug: remote code 0x800f, key code 93
    [2015-08-14 17:21:43,189] [Log ] [1 ] [INFO ] - HCWHelper: command sent: 0
    [2015-08-14 17:21:47,220] [Log ] [1 ] [INFO ] - debug: remote code 0x800f, key code 12

etc. etc. etc.

In other words, HcwHelper does get commands that are not zeroes. It just doesn't pass them to MediaPortal because it doesn't recognise them as Hauppauge remote commands.

Please try the attached patched versions. These should finally allow MP to learn your remote. Once the buttons have been learned, you can supply the mapping for us to include in future versions of MP.

Attachments

• HcwHelper_mce.zip
      84.3 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom