TBS-6522 - no DVB-T2 HD channels found (1 Viewer)

Hawkeye

Portal Pro
January 29, 2005
Halle (Saale)
Home Country
Germany Germany
Did you try to actually view the channels in TBS viewer?
If no, you should try it. If your signal strength/quality isn't good enough, the channels will be unwatchable (pixelation, black screen etc.).
I've tried that and could watch them - at least what the cpu allowed, e.g. QVC HD worked flawlessly with ~60% CPU but Das Erste HD had ~100%, but I knew that this could be so. That means it works ... at times because sometimes I don't get a signal in TBS viewer too.
I'll try to increase the signal (although I bought this antenna some month ago to be ready for DVB-T2 ...) and keep you informed.

EDIT: Does the CrazyScan-graph tell anything about the signal strength? Or is there another tool you can recommend to get quick infos on that?

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Based on my own experience I can echo how important it is to have the antenna in the "right" position. I live in the centre of Munich where according to the DVBT2 coverage map I only need an indoor antenna, with DVBT1 I had no problems every channel came in really strong on a DVBT2 approved indoor active one and most worked OK on just a tiny passive DVBT1 one. With DVBT2 though durring the test phase I could only get the HD channels to play if I hung the active attena out of the window, anywhere indoors was a nogo. I subsequently had to purchase a DVBT2 approved outdoor active antenna which is now fixed to the wall outside and works very well.
    I would also be worried about those high CPU times I'm seeing 15-20% with MP playing Das Erste HP (my GPU does support HEVC though).
    Update:-
    Just tried Das Erste HD with GPU HEVC deselected in LAV and CPU shot up to over 60% and playback stutters.

Last edited:

Hawkeye

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2005
    Halle (Saale)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Based on my own experience I can echo how important it is to have the antenna in the "right" position. I live in the centre of Munich where according to the DVBT2 coverage map I only need an indoor antenna, with DVBT1 I had no problems every channel came in really strong on a DVBT2 approved indoor active one and most worked OK on just a tiny passive DVBT1 one. With DVBT2 though durring the test phase I could only get the HD channels to play if I hung the active attena out of the window, anywhere indoors was a nogo. I subsequently had to purchase a DVBT2 approved outdoor active antenna which is now fixed to the wall outside and works very well.
    Thanks for that information. If my tests on increasing the signal (which will probably mean: take the antenna outside the window :rolleyes:) succeed, I will have to buy a new antenna (again) ...

I would also be worried about those high CPU times I'm seeing 15-20% with MP playing Das Erste HP (my GPU does support HEVC though).
    Update:-
    Just tried Das Erste HD with GPU HEVC deselected in LAV and CPU shot up to over 60% and playback stutters.
    ... and a new board, cpu and ram of course. The current hardware is overaged anyway ...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Ahhh, indoor antenna.
    (facepalm)
    It's imminently doable for DVB-T (I do it myself because my flat doesn't have an aerial/antenna output in my room). However DVB-T2 requires a higher signal to noise ratio... which basically means that premium signal quality is required. Premium signal quality is very hard to achieve with an indoor antenna unless the transmitter polarisation is vertical (ie. suits an upright telescoping/"bunny-ear" aerial) and the antenna can be positioned near a window with reasonable line-of-sight (or reflection/refraction) from the transmitter. If the transmitter polarisation is horizontal

EDIT: Does the CrazyScan-graph tell anything about the signal strength?
    They don't look too bad, but I'm not sure how accurate CrazyScan is.
    Also, you need consistency. Often with an indoor antenna the signal can be okay at certain times, but deteriorates at other times.

Or is there another tool you can recommend to get quick infos on that?
    No. Normally it's not possible to get "proper" signal readings (SNR in dB, strength in dBm etc.) from a PC tuner. Only software that can use the tuner's technical/expert proprietary interfaces can get that information. CrazyScan is the only software I know of that can do it for TBS tuners.

Hawkeye

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2005
    Halle (Saale)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Short feedback: Taking the antenna outside the window didn't work out. I could increase the signal a bit (>80% quality on the DVB-T channel) but seemingly not enough to receive DVB-T2 channels ...

Next step: Order a new antenna. BUT an outdoor antenna is not really an alternative here. What do you think about those:
    RGTech Monarch 50 Transparent - HDTV-Zimmerantenne - 50: Amazon.de: Elektronik
    or
    Verstärkte Zimmerantenne für den Innenbereich: Amazon.de: Elektronik

Could I have any luck using one of them?

(Just for information: at the moment I use this one: Verstärkte Zimmerantenne im Wabendesign von One: Amazon.de: Elektronik)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Could I have any luck using one of them?
    Sorry, no comment. I have no experience with those, and I also have not enough knowledge of your reception conditions (eg. aerial on opposite side of house to transmission site, obstacles etc.) to be making any recommendations. If you want a reliable setup, best to get a professional aerial installer in to do it.

Hawkeye

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2005
    Halle (Saale)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Update: I upgraded my hardware lately (see system specs), updated the TBS driver and afterwards I could find all channels. And that with the old antenna ... There's only one but big problem left: after restarting or resuming the tuner is not initialised correctly (no signal found). I have to use CrazyScan to make it work (no scan needed but call up the tuner(s)). This is most probably not related to MediaPortal but a driver issue. I have to check whether other software has issues too.

Hawkeye

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2005
    Halle (Saale)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Had the chance to test a little: the problem is true for other programs too. I tested nextPVR and DVBViewer. Even CrazyScan has issues sometimes (alert on startup or tuner change that no RFScan is possible) ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom