TBS 6984 Can't use more than 1 tuner (1 Viewer)

metropolis

Portal Pro
June 1, 2007
Orpington
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi, I am using a TBS 6984 with MediaPortal, which I have been using for about 6 years with various different cards, so I am no beginner when it comes to MediaPortal. For some reason with my TBS 6984 card I can't use more than 1 tuner at a time.
If I set a programme to record, and when that starts to record it will freeze the current channel I am watching, this happens on freeview and pay channels. What is the best way to go about fault find this issue, seeing what is at fault, the 6984, the cable, the quad LNB?
Whats best best thing to check first please?

Kind regards.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Logs would help but are you sure that the channels are mapped to all the tuners? (They need top be done individually)

metropolis

Portal Pro
    June 1, 2007
    Orpington
    Home Country
    Hi, OK, I have figured out why my problem is intermittent, the first time I try to use more than 1 tuner at a time after reboot I get the issue, as soon as MP has unsuccessfully used 2 tuners at the same time, then I can use 2 tuners at the same time successfully. As soon as MP has unsuccessfully used 3 tuners at the same time, then I can use 3 tuners at the same time successfully. If I reboot it all then starts again.
    I have had this problem for months, but never figured out what was happening.
    I have attached all 3 sets of logs to this post so hopefully someone can help he figure out whats going on.
    I am using 1.3 RC, Custom Data Grabber including Sky UK Channel/EPG Grabber by DJBlu.

I was watching BBC1, then started to record channel 5, at that point the channel I was watching (BBC1) freezes.

Kind regards.

Last edited:

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Metropolis,

I use both the DVB-S & DVB-T/T2 TBS quad cards and they work great. There does seem to have been some issues with drivers for these cards and this may be the case with your problems.

See this thread >>here<< Whilst it is not the same problem it is similar and so could be a driver problem.

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Metropolis,

I'm using 1.0.2.3. version drivers, and I am a bit reluctant to upgrade. :cautious:

Have you tried removing and refitting the card, or trying a different PCIe slot?
    Have you tried changing the priority of the different tuners to see if any particular one is at fault?
    Did this problem occur on the 1.0.2.3. version of the drivers?

Here is a link to the TBS forum for the 6984, it may help a bit. I have used this particular forum in the past and the TBS team are really helpful.

BTW I see TBS have now brought out a successor to the 6984, the 6985 - >>here<< Can't see the difference myself.

Last edited:

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Have you got a adequate power supply to the card, that can cause all sorts of weird glitches, preferably its own output from power supply, not piggy backing on another connection.

metropolis

Portal Pro
    June 1, 2007
    Orpington
    Home Country
    Have you got a adequate power supply to the card, that can cause all sorts of weird glitches, preferably its own output from power supply, not piggy backing on another connection.

I am currently not using the power cable for the 6984, as I thought that was only needed if using a motorised dish?
    I suppose I should have tried the cable, I'll do that tonight.

Cheers.

UPDATE: now using dedicated power from power supply, no change.

Last edited:

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi metropolis,

just looking through the first set of logs and TV server..bear in mind I'm no expert, just trying to help out. :oops:

You tuned to BBC1 (East) first (tuned successfully with signal level 81, signal quality 98 - using tuner A) and timeshifting started OK, and then started to record Abby's Fairy Flying school on Channel 5 at about 6:55am? (tuned successfully; signal level 78, signal quality 98 - using tuner B) and recording started OK onto drive D:
    What happened after it started recording, did you shutdown the system? or did everything play OK and record OK?

EDIT - Cross posted with Ray. Good shout Ray, I have the power supply cable fitted on mine, so it is worthwhile trying that first.

Last edited:

metropolis

Portal Pro
    June 1, 2007
    Orpington
    Home Country
    Hi metropolis,

just looking through the first set of logs and TV server..bear in mind I'm no expert, just trying to help out. :oops:

You tuned to BBC1 (East) first (tuned successfully with signal level 81, signal quality 98 - using tuner A) and timeshifting started OK, and then started to record Abby's Fairy Flying school on Channel 5 at about 6:55am? (tuned successfully; signal level 78, signal quality 98 - using tuner B) and recording started OK onto drive D:
    What happened after it started recording, did you shutdown the system? or did everything play OK and record OK?

EDIT - Cross posted with Ray. Good shout Ray, I have the power supply cable fitted on mine, so it is worthwhile trying that first.
    Hi, Yes, I was watching BBC1, then started to record channel 5, at that point the channel I was watching (BBC1) freezes.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom