Teletext subtitles don't have different transmitted colors (1 Viewer)

Vasilich

Portal Pro
August 30, 2009
Germany, Mayence
Home Country
Russian Federation Russian Federation
MediaPortal Version: tested on 1.2.3, 1.9, 1.12, 1.13pre

Description
as nothing was changed in this area since 1.2.3 (the oldest version i still use), and i can reproduce this in 1.2.3, 1.9, 1.12 and 1.13, i assume this as a bug:
in Europe for DVB there are 2 types of subtitles for TV: DVB subtitles , transmitted as bitmaps (similar to DVD bitmap subtitles), and teletext subtitles, transmitted over Teletext on pages that are declared in transport stream (so if in the stream declared that there are subtitles on page 150, then teletext for this page will have synchronous subtitles).
teletext subtitles have defined small subset of colors (4 to 16) to distinct speech from different persons on one subtitle screen.
In MP the teletext subtitles are always shown in white, though other software,that is able to extract subtitles, reads the color information for them, so i assume that the color information is present there, but not used somehow.
In MP code there are some code pieces that reads color information for subtitles, but unfortunately i don't see any result of this code.
Where should i look to get teletext subtitles in color?
Or is it not possible with current subtitle renderer?

Steps to Reproduce:
tune to a DVB channel with teletext subtitles, and activate them

PS i can upload short .TS samplefile if someone needs it.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    How are you activating/using the subtitles?
    There are 2 ways:
    1. Tick the "enable teletext subtitles" setting in MP Configuration. This way teletext subtitles comes via the MP player (TsReader).
    2. Enter the teletext section/page in the TV plugin and select the page which carries your subtitles. This way teletext (and subtitles) come directly from TV Server.

If you use the first way I think the subtitle content and timing is okay but the colours are not shown.
    If you use the second way I think you'll see colours, but the subtitle updates may be slow or skipped/missing compared to the dialogue/talking.

I can't help if you're using the first way, because that is the MP player code (which I'm not familiar with).

Vasilich

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2009
    Germany, Mayence
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    i use 1st way (because this way TVServer can recognize proper page number).
    Is there any chance to transfer the color information to MP player somehow? as i described above, after extracting teletext subtitles in an external program the MP shows the proper colors (taking these from generated *.srt file)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    because this way TVServer can recognize proper page number
    I don't understand what you mean by that. As I said to you, TV Server has nothing to do with way #1. :confused:

Is there any chance to transfer the color information to MP player somehow?
    Sorry, like I said: I can't help you with this. I assume the missing colours are due to a bug or missing feature in the MP player.

as i described above, after extracting teletext subtitles in an external program the MP shows the proper colors (taking these from generated *.srt file)
    Sure. That's because there is nothing wrong with the teletext stream. The problem is in the MP player's handling of VBI/teletext data. As above: I assume the missing colours are due to a bug or the feature was never supported.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes, TsReader reads the available teletext services (including subtitle services) from the VBI/teletext stream.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Here you can find the code for the TV plugin's teletext decoder/renderer which supports teletext colours:
    https://github.com/MediaPortal/Medi...vPlugin/teletext/TeletextPageRenderer.cs#L649

It seems that the equivalent code in the MP player is here:
    https://github.com/MediaPortal/Medi.../TeletextSubtitles/TeletextSubtitleDecoder.cs
    https://github.com/MediaPortal/Medi.../Player/TeletextSubtitles/TeletextMagazine.cs

Based on this structure (which is populated in TeletextMagazine.cs), it looks like there is no support for text colour decoding or processing:
    https://github.com/MediaPortal/Medi...Core/Player/Subtitles/SubtitleRenderer.cs#L80

In other words: it looks like this is not a bug; it's a request for a feature that has never been supported.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom