The dreaded mouse cursor (1 Viewer)

Reg

Portal Pro
November 22, 2008
Christchurch
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I have been using Media Portal since sometime last year. When I first got it when watching TV the mouse cursor used to disappear off screen after a little while. When I upgraded to version 1.0 it stopped doing that.

I recently ran the 1.01 upgrade hoping that mouse problem would be fixed, but it wasn't. As I was also having a few other hitches I thought oh well do a complete uninstall and fresh install. The mouse cursor started disappearing, but now the next day the stupid cursor is back again.

This is an incredibly frustrating problem as my computer is connected to my TV which is in the next room, which means I settle down in my armchair in the living room and bring up MP on my TV and there is that darned mouse arrow in the middle of the screen. So up I have to get and go to the next room and and move the pointer to the side of the screen.

I just wish this problem could be fixed once and for all.

Reg

moab

Portal Pro
April 22, 2008
California
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hmm. I don't have that issue.
Are you using any special mouse software?
Have you tried setting your Mediaportal Configuration option to be always foreground.
My mouse cursor only appears if I use it. Then it disappears after I stop using it.

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    If you cant fix it any other way, you could always just edit yr mouse cursor to a single pixel. I did this on an older install and it was invisible when static but still able to be located and used when moved intentionally with the mouse. Takes about 30 secs to do with a cursor editor. Might be an easy fix in the meantime to keep the annoyance factor down until you get the problem nutted out.

Sjakko

Portal Member
    January 2, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Could a developer please give some feedback on this issue? I have this problem too (with MP1.0 & MP1.0.2) and there are a lot of threads on this issue and it's quite a pain. I know it did work with 1.0 for a few month but apparently something changed. Thank you.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    this issue pops up occasionally. I guess first thing to check is that "autohide mouse cursor" is actually selected, but I'm sure it is.

The other thing that sometimes occurs is that it may be a different application that causes it. One example is the G-Force screen saver, which when installed, for some reason stopped MP hiding the mouse cursor. I'd recommend checking if there is any other software that may be causing this, as the autohide seems to be working well for most people.

I know what a frustrating issue this is though. You can also get software that automatically moves the cursor to the side of the screen.

Cheers,
    Marcus

Sjakko

Portal Member
    January 2, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thank you Marcus. In the mean time I've done a clean install of MP (for other reasons) and tonight I tried the cursor thing again and it hid! So I hope that it was actually the clean install that fixed it, otherwise I'll have to start looking for interfering programs shortly. Time will tell.
    I guess first thing to check is that "autohide mouse cursor" is actually selected, but I'm sure it is.
    But wasn't the "autohide mouse cursor" setting removed from the MP configuration?
    Thanks again for your advice.

Reg

Portal Pro
    November 22, 2008
    Christchurch
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    this issue pops up occasionally. I guess first thing to check is that "autohide mouse cursor" is actually selected, but I'm sure it is.
    The other thing that sometimes occurs is that it may be a different application that causes it. One example is the G-Force screen saver, which when installed, for some reason stopped MP hiding the mouse cursor. I'd recommend checking if there is any other software that may be causing this, as the autohide seems to be working well for most people.
    I know what a frustrating issue this is though. You can also get software that automatically moves the cursor to the side of the screen.
    Cheers,
    Marcus

I have searched and searched and cant find any setting to auto hide mouse cursor.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    Thank you Marcus. In the mean time I've done a clean install of MP (for other reasons) and tonight I tried the cursor thing again and it hid! So I hope that it was actually the clean install that fixed it, otherwise I'll have to start looking for interfering programs shortly. Time will tell.
    I guess first thing to check is that "autohide mouse cursor" is actually selected, but I'm sure it is.
    But wasn't the "autohide mouse cursor" setting removed from the MP configuration?
    Thanks again for your advice.

Oops, My mistake. It used to be an option, but now it's permanently applied.
    @Reg, sorry for causing you some confusion. I can only suggest a clean install, or try to find thesoftware that may be causing the issue with MP.

surfermc

Portal Pro
    May 7, 2006
    Dorset
    Home Country
    England England
    Another option would be to automatically move the cursor off the screen. There are a few applications or registry tweaks that can do this. Have a look at this page in the wiki. I have used bzhider in the past but not since moving to 1.0.0

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I also have this problem. I wonder if this has something to do with the dual monitor system I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom