[Blog] The Upcoming Release of MediaPortal 1.1.0 (1 Viewer)

frenzy

Portal Pro
April 29, 2008
Home Country
France France
Re: The Inside Scoop Vol 1-1: MediaPortal 1.1.0 Release

Another question on MP2 for the next interview:

How do you plan to go about avoiding/controlling the plugin chaos that plagued MP1, in MP2? Do you have any plans to ensure functionality (other things being equal) of a plugin through subsequent versions of MP2?

frenzy

Portal Pro
April 29, 2008
Home Country
France France

Maybe it's a strong word, but I'm referring to the numerous skins and plugins that don't work anymore (giving an especially hard time to confused new users), or plugins that never reached promised functionality. I guess the question is not so much "how do you plan to write the code of MP to ensure this" but rather "will there be stricter guidelines, or even a screening process"

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

Maybe it's a strong word, but I'm referring to the numerous skins and plugins that don't work anymore
    Well, that you have to blame the creators of the community plugins and skins for, because they simply stopped maintaining and updateing their work - while we do not stop working on MediaPortal. ;)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

Maybe it's a strong word, but I'm referring to the numerous skins and plugins that don't work anymore
    Well, that you have to blame the creators of the community plugins and skins for, because they simply stopped maintaining and updateing their work - while we do not stop working on MediaPortal. ;)

And we should blame ourselves not to be able to create any stable API :) Both parties are to blame and team could solve the both issues with

1) Making sure that MPII has API that wont change on every second day (or even release)
    2) Apply some plugin screening process before the plugins are accepted to the repository
    3) Write good guidelines for plugin developers

frenzy

Portal Pro
    April 29, 2008
    Home Country
    France France

You misunderstood me i-loop, the question is not about assigning blame, it's about solving a real problem. Personally, I love MP (obviously) and I'm only using a couple of well-maintained, popular plugins, but I see a lot of new, inexperienced users getting lost in the salad. But , by all means, the team is responsible for hosting outdated plugins and is responsible for trying to ensure a certain level of quality. I think the question is valid and honest, I don't have any motive to pass blame or criticise.

I'm covered by Tourretes' understanding of the question, anyhoo

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada

@I-loop - If I have understood frenzy correctly, he is referring to the fact that currently in our MP Repository (Files Downloads), it is almost impossible to determine which skins or plugins are supported or run correctly under which version(s) of MP. That = chaos

Furthermore, community developers do not know how to submit downloads correctly and often submit new versions under a separate listing, so you end up with multiple versions of a plugin or skin.

The only way to find anything useful is to sort by submit date.

It is a nightmare for new users to figure it out, as many times the community developers do not list what MP version is supported; there is no 'field' available in our current Repository to indicate what MP version is supported; you cannot sort the downloads by the MP version supported; and so on.

It is a VERY serious problem, since many of the reviews I have read where users report problems with MP, it looks to me like they have not installed correct versions of skins or plugins and then think the problem lies with MP.

It is not so straightforward as it seems at first, because a skin or plugin may run under several versions of MP. So we cannot simplly categorize them by version (as I kept asking for :)).

Personally I don't think the problem is a result of any mistake by either MP Developers or even by our community developers. We just do not have a mechanism in place to handle all the variables and options effectively.

However, the good news is that in spite of these problems, our new homepage and website may address at least some, if not all, these issues. I am already planning to do a BLOG on this issue as it is very near and dear to my heart. So stay tuned for that guys.

And thank you for raising this issue frenzy!

frenzy

Portal Pro
    April 29, 2008
    Home Country
    France France

Peronally I don't think the problem is a result of any mistake by either MP Developers or even by our community developers. We just do not have a mechanism in place to handle all the variables and options effectively.

Thank you. It is the existence of such a mechanism that the question addresses.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

And we should blame ourselves not to be able to create any stable API :) Both parties are to blame and team could solve the both issues with

1) Making sure that MPII has API that wont change on every second day (or even release)
    2) Apply some plugin screening process before the plugins are accepted to the repository
    3) Write good guidelines for plugin developers
    Partly. In terms of Skins, we did add new features - screens - buttons - etc in new releases, or reworked the code for stability which also required skinchanges.

These changes require that the author releases an update of his communityskin - if he does not, then we can not help.
    I doubt that you can create a system where such fixes/new features do not require a change of the community skins. :)

What we do need is to ensure that inside the repository is to make the "compatible with MediaPortal Version x.x.x.x" value present. So users do not even find unsupported plugins/skins.

frenzy

Portal Pro
    April 29, 2008
    Home Country
    France France

Do you have any plans to ensure functionality (other things being equal) of a plugin through subsequent versions of MP2?

How about the second part of the question? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom