Things to do with the new TV engine (1 Viewer)

t029248

Portal Member
March 27, 2006
Holanda
well if uPnP is implimented then any client that speaks that should be able to play MediaPortals video feeds.

XBMC does uPnP and it will make a great front-end! Is the 1st version of the TV-engine already released (nightly-builds??)

MajorTom

Portal Pro
August 15, 2006
Is there some estimation when a first test release will come? I have big problems with the current TV engine and really look forward to playing with the new one.

I don't want to use TVCentral (that works like charme, but I just don't like it.)

tkortell

Portal Pro
April 13, 2005
Vaasa / Sulva
Home Country
Finland Finland
mythTV backend and MP frontend

I’ve been putting together a Linux server (clarkconnect) for file and printer sharing and stuff for my home network. The idea came to me that it would be great if it were possible to use the mythTV (or some other Linux based) backend and a MediaPortal frontend.

Is this something that could in any way be possible? Or are the 2 just too different and will newer work together?

Just a thought ;)

Regards / Tomas

knutinh

Portal Pro
September 4, 2005
Realistically, if I were to build an IP-based local cable tv system, how far would system bring me?

In terms of re-using existing coax (are there good inexpensive modems for that)
In terms of minimum front-end cost (if 20 people are to use MP for viewing)
In terms of stability on this large scale
Future proofing (HD, etc)

I think that professional systems are very expensive and not necessarily flexible or user friendly. But probably tried and tested.

What would the cost and benefit of say a basement server with 20 tuners (DVB-T, DVB-S2), a local coax-based lan (one or a couple of chains of users), VIA-C3 "embedded" boxes with DX9 gpu for those that didnt want to use a regular PC or HTPC for viewing.

regards
Knut

tkortell

Portal Pro
April 13, 2005
Vaasa / Sulva
Home Country
Finland Finland
I’ve been putting together a Linux server (clarkconnect) for file and printer sharing and stuff for my home network. The idea came to me that it would be great if it were possible to use the mythTV (or some other Linux based) backend and a MediaPortal frontend.

Is this something that could in any way be possible? Or are the 2 just too different and will newer work together?

Just a thought ;)

Regards / Tomas

I spoke to a friend that knows mythTV well and he told me that mythTV is not using any standard way of communicating between the backend and frontend at the moment but that they are trying to change this. So my conclusion is that now it is not possible but maybe in the future :)

I thought this would cause more discussion than this but maybe everybody else here is as afraid of Linux as I am :)

Regards / Tomas

Gamester17

Portal Pro
May 12, 2004
Sweden
Home Country
Sweden Sweden

Just a thought

Regards / Tomas
I spoke to a friend that knows mythTV well and he told me that mythTV is not using any standard way of communicating between the backend and frontend at the moment but that they are trying to change this. So my conclusion is that now it is not possible but maybe in the future :)
If both MediaPortal and MythTV used the available UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) standards then that would/should/could be possible without complications as both would be communicating in the same standard language.

Yes here I am again going on about how great UPnP could be if everybody were using it ;)

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    I don't think the MythTV UPnP implimentation is complete. If i remember the various development list threads right, the main guy working on it has only done the server portion and hasn't put any work into the front end or renderer part of UPnP. It's heading in the right direction though.

tkortell

Portal Pro
    April 13, 2005
    Vaasa / Sulva
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I don't think the MythTV UPnP implimentation is complete. If i remember the various development list threads right, the main guy working on it has only done the server portion and hasn't put any work into the front end or renderer part of UPnP. It's heading in the right direction though.

Thats just the thing :) I'm only interested in the server, I want to use MediaPortal as front end and only the MythTV back end. But when it all comes allong I will probably end up useing MP front end and back end anyway cause I love MediaPortal :)

Regards / Tomas

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom