Things to do with the new TV engine (1 Viewer)

Lyxalig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2005
    Norway
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Has anyone thought of the possibility to stream content over the internet? Would it possible to re-design the webinterface to hook into the "server-backend" and present streaming content as well?

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Lyxalig said:
    Has anyone thought of the possibility to stream content over the internet? Would it possible to re-design the webinterface to hook into the "server-backend" and present streaming content as well?
    erm... have you been thinking about the bandwith of the upload that would be required for that?

samuel337

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Lyxalig said:

Given that the output stream is an MPEG2 program stream, the web server would need to do on-the fly transcoding, which will probably be the hardest part. That said, writing a streaming server isn't either. :wink:

Sam

Lyxalig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2005
    Norway
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I see the complications.

I think orb does this, so I figured: why should MP be any less. :lol:

But it would be great though...

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    I asked Frodo about this exact same thing (streaming like orb) and this was his response on the 2nd page.

But offcourse. however i dont think that will be in the first sneak preview of the new tvserver. Still got loads of stuff todo.
    My idea is to first release a 'simple' version which can do all the basics
    and then add more advanced features to it like:
    - re-encoding the stream to lower the bandwidth
    - integration with comskip/comclean
    - support for multiple backends
    - etc etc

But keep those idea's coming!!

Frodo

Lyxalig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2005
    Norway
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    ASiDiE said:
    I asked Frodo about this exact same thing (streaming like orb) and this was his response on the 2nd page.

But offcourse. however i dont think that will be in the first sneak preview of the new tvserver. Still got loads of stuff todo.
    My idea is to first release a 'simple' version which can do all the basics
    and then add more advanced features to it like:
    - re-encoding the stream to lower the bandwidth
    - integration with comskip/comclean
    - support for multiple backends
    - etc etc

But keep those idea's coming!!

Frodo

JIPPEY

:D

joboehl

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    Gamester17 said:
    @Frodo/Team-MediaPortal, any updates on whether or not UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) will be considered for frontend <-> backend communication/streaming?

Gamester, if you don't mind I'am asking.

What would be the plan in case MP TV Server had a uPnP support? Build a Python plug-in or a new TV Module in XBMC? A built in module, in the main menu would be great.....

hotspot

August 9, 2006
    Portugal
    I'm not using mytv on Mediaportal because:

- A have a Skystar2 DVB-S and i want to view some scrambled channels. Now i'm using ProgDVB.

- It's a piece of work to add a DVB-S channel to Mytv, too much parameters to config. When can we scan channels by Transporder?.

- Tooo much time to change channels. Zapping is complicated, each channel on Skystar takes around 7 seconds to work.

- Can we change the font size on EPG info? The default font is too large to use on a big screen.

The option Frontend-Backend are good news. Right now, i'm using that solution with ProgDVB and 5star.

Gamester17

Portal Pro
    May 12, 2004
    Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    joboehl said:
    Gamester17 said:
    @Frodo/Team-MediaPortal, any updates on whether or not UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) will be considered for frontend <-> backend communication/streaming?
    Gamester, if you don't mind I'am asking.

What would be the plan in case MP TV Server had a uPnP support? Build a Python plug-in or a new TV Module in XBMC? A built in module, in the main menu would be great.....
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/viewtopic.php?t=3053
    Personaly I really like to see UPnP MediaServer and RUI server support in MediaPortal because then a UPnP MediaServer ControlPoint and RUI client could be implemented into XBMC (Xbox Media Center) and thus XBMC will be able to auto-detect MediaPortal 'servers' on the network to stream from them and control MediaPortal remotly over the network via the XBMC GUI (to send command such as record, schedule, play, stop, change channel) and thus be able to function as a front-end for MediaPortal, (you could then have one MediaPortal PC function as a back-end hub and have several Xboxes in the house which could control MediaPortal from each one of them). Of course XBMC is not the only thing that would benifit from UPnP MediaServer and Remote UI support in MediaPortal, but because UPnP is an open standard anyone who add MediaServer ControlPoint to their application or device would in theory be able to stream audio/video/pictures from MediaPortal, and you could for example make a small application (with a RUI client) for PDA or TabletPC that simply functions as a remote control for MediaPortal, (and that application would also be compatible with other UPnP devices that feature a RUI server-side.
    I am however not a programmer/developer myself, but I'm sure many people who are would be interested if the MediaPortal side supported it

Frodo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    hotspot:
    I'm not using mytv on Mediaportal because:
    - A have a Skystar2 DVB-S and i want to view some scrambled channels. Now i'm using ProgDVB.
    There has already been a large discussion about this.
    MediaPortal WONT support softcams. If you want to view encrypted channels, then get a DVB-S card with a CI slot and a smartcard.
    (Or use progdvb)

- It's a piece of work to add a DVB-S channel to Mytv, too much parameters to config. When can we scan channels by Transporder?.
    There is no need to manually add dvb-s channels.
    You can simply scan one or more transponders and MP will auto-find all the channels

- Tooo much time to change channels. Zapping is complicated, each channel on Skystar takes around 7 seconds to work.
    Zapping here takes 1-2 seconds.

- Can we change the font size on EPG info? The default font is too large to use on a big screen.
    Mediaportal is opensource and skinnable, if you want this, simply edit the skin file and change the fontsize

The option Frontend-Backend are good news. Right now, i'm using that solution with ProgDVB and 5star.
    Note, The new tvservice will NOT support softcams

@gamestr17
    I am however not a programmer/developer myself, but I'm sure many people who are would be interested if the MediaPortal side supported it
    Windows XP comes with a UpNp server these days.
    You can use that server to 'serve' any media file on the harddisk, including the timeshifting files. This is not an ideal solution, but its a start.
    In the end MP will have its own uPnP server but for now you can already stream media from windows to XBMC using the windows media connect upnp server.

Frodo

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom