Things to do with the new TV engine (1 Viewer)

samuel337

Portal Pro
August 25, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Hmm... if we do I think both sides will have a lot of people asking questions about installation - linux isn't exactly the easiest thing to setup, especially with regards to tv cards (though it is much better now). I just completed a mythtv BE/FE installation - much easier on windows than linux.

I don't think we're ready to support people using a myth backend, and neither are myth I don't think.

With regards to standards, upnp and also PVRX look interesting.

Sam

RoyN

Portal Pro
March 17, 2006
While I do sort of understand your concerns, for an open source project they dont quite stand up fully.... somehow that sounds a bit more like corporate talk...

(at no moment am I dissing you, samuel337, i respect everything you have done for MP!)

Seriously though, on one side there is the ability to deploy something quicker, test it out better (because you can use the myth back end to test and develop the MP frontend without even having an MP BE yet), and on the other hand is the fear of having to help users installing myth?

Sounds odd, but I do understand your fear of this being flooded with linux install questions.... in that aspect I really cant say what I really feel since I've only very superficially skimmed the myth forums...

Anyways, standards like upnp and the other one you mentioned (I'm not familiar with it) are always a plus I guess... there really is no gain by doing things in a new way here...(especially since even large companies are adhereing to the standards apparently - upnp extenders available, etc)...

anyways, you say "I just completed a mythtv BE/FE installation - much easier on windows than linux. " you installed a myth backend on windows??? I'm about to test a myth install using knoppmyth, since I need something that serves live tv streams from a central server... other than that I'm waiting for MP to be able to do it...

Any ideas on what is done/being done on the new engine? in terms of a tentative timeline or something?

samuel337

Portal Pro
August 25, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
No offence taken. I guess if its only for development and not for the general public, then its ok. But to be honest - I still don't think linux is user-friendly enough for this. There's too much choice and options for a normal user - e.g. KDE or Gnome apps, ALSA, ESD or OSS - and its not quite as easy to install, in particularly if you need to build. Linux needs a lot more UI before general users can use it I reckon.

I installed myth BE/FE on Ubuntu Dapper - I do have a digital TV card, so I guess that made it harder than usual. Still, installing my digital TV card and MP on Windows beats it. Its not linux's fault that the digital TV people don't want to support them.

Anyway, this is deviating from the topic of this thread - I'll leave it here.

Sam

RoyN

Portal Pro
March 17, 2006
Hey Frodo, so do you have any tentative timeline, or at least a position about the basic version you have mentioned?

Cheers,

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    Frodo announced the TV engine on the 4th of July. He said give him about a month before you see a beta included in the SVN files. I am taking this information off of the front web site that was posted on the 4th, so I know about as much as you do.

Frodo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Is there a timeline?
    Yes and no, I'm hoping to release a preview version somewhere at the end of august, but it depends a bit on how much free time I have to work on it and how fast the development progresses.

Things which are being worked on or already done:
    - multiple front end support
    - multiple back end support
    - streaming over RTSP
    - recording & timeshifting radio and tv
    - dvb /mhw epg grabbing
    - teletext
    - multiple tuner support
    - analog , dvbc s/t/c, atsc
    - ci / cam support for firedtv,twinhan and technotrend
    - easy setup and installation manual
    - commercial detection & removal by using comskip/comclean

And i probably forgot a few things but these are the highlights.
    Note that most of this stuff is currently between 50%-80% finished
    we just need to finish the remaining parts and offcourse test it extensivly to fix any bugs.

Is it compatible with mythtv?
    nop, its not.
    Then again when released there will be full documentation on how to remote control the server so anybody could can write frontends for it
    One could even write an SageTv/GbPvr/or MCE 2005 plugin to use the tvserver from those apps.

can we watch/record multiple channels on the same mux
    this is not planned for the first version

Frodo

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    The thing I am mostly looking forward to is:

- commercial detection & removal by using comskip/comclean

I am hoping it will automatically skip the commercials with no input from the user. That is how my replayTV works and one of the main reason's why I got the receiver I did. It's so sweet to sit down with some friends and watch a pre-recorded tv show and you tell them "watch this" It cuts out the commercial perfectly and continues on with the show.

I know you can current cut out commercials with comskip now, but I am hoping it the future it could be almost in real time. The replayTV unit you need to be at least 2 minutes behind live TV.

As always, keep up the good work!

Scoobsheister

Portal Pro
    June 21, 2006
    Liking the ideas so far, i have one suggestion tho:

Improved series recording - i know you can record at the minute by telling mediaportal to record at the same time on the same channel every week/day but as we all know sometimes things get swapped round a little.

At the minute i'm using Bavarian's Personal TV Guide and altho it isn't finished yet i think it's great at what it does.

This could perhaps be integrated into the new tv engine, all that really needs added is to enable the auto-record function and possibly an option that allows you to avoid recording repeats. I don't know how hard this would be to do but think it would be worthwhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom