Things to do with the new TV engine (2 Viewers)

RoyN

Portal Pro
March 17, 2006
Frodo, just to confirm... the new engine will support multiple tuners in one machine, and multiple watcher clients over the networ, right?

Like one server with 5 tuners, and 5 clients over gigabit switched network watching live tv... this is the whole point, right?

broadband412

Portal Pro
April 20, 2005
New Yrok
Will the new recording engine be able to make DVD compliant MPEG2 files? I assume all analog Hardware encoding cards record in MPG2 format although I am not sure if it is so. Some MPG cards can also record in MPG1 VCD format. Will the new engine also support this feature for the cards that support this? Evaluating the mediaportal setup program, two resolutions are mising from the list 480x480 (resolution for SVCD) and 352x480 (resolution for DVD Half D1) Keep up the great work.

Basz

Portal Member
July 12, 2005
Forgive me if someone already suggested this, but I couldn't find a mention of it anywhere in the forums;

As you know, MP currently supports multiple input-methods.
For example; DVB, Analog, etc..
Would it be possible to add streaming input functionality to this list in the new engine?

This would for example make it possible to
- have an ip-camera as a channel in MyTV
- watch live streams (many available) from the internet
- use upcoming technologies like P2PTV, for which there are clients available that output their data through a (wmv)stream.

I would imagine the settings for such a solution to simply include the url for the stream + a command/url for initializing the stream/any program supplying the stream. These channels then could be assigned to a 'virtual stream capture card', which allows a user to set things like the maximum amount of simultanious streams, proxies, etc..

Flipit

Portal Pro
February 19, 2005
Hi Frodo,

Just wondering, but will the new TV engine capture the whole TS stream.

Will the clients be able to chose which channel to tune into on the stream, provided they are on the same transponder. i.e. 1 card multiple channels.

Guess this would take a lot of bandwidth, but it would be nice. :)

Thanks

chrispi

Portal Pro
May 3, 2006
Home Country
Germany Germany
Flipit said:
Just wondering, but will the new TV engine capture the whole TS stream.

Frodo allready answered this one. Please look at page 4.

joboehl

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    I don't know if I fully understand the implementation, so I'll ask. :)

Where is the stream being materialized for timeshifting/recording? If I have one server and setup a recording on this client, where the final file is going to be stored, in the server or the client?

Basically I'am asking if the stream flows from the video-capture device directly to the client software or is first recorded in the server and then streamed.

The reason I'am asking is: If all the file operations are done at the server, a diskless network-booted client could be an achievable goal right?

Thanks in advance,
    Julio

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom