Things to do with the new TV engine (2 Viewers)

joboehl

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    Ahh, one more thing. :)

I would like the new Engine was able to control more than one STB. Is my understanding that this don't work in 0.2 right?

Thanks,
    Jiulio

Frodo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    joboehl:
    - The server records the stream and stores it on its local HD
    - controlling external settop boxes will not be available in the first release
    - files are recorded and timeshifted as mpeg-2 program streams, not as
    mpeg-2 transport streams

Now here's the current status:
    The server is done and under test atm.
    This took some more time then expected since we decided to write our own mpeg-2 demultiplexer & multiplexer directshow filter. That way the server does not depend anymore on any external filters or codecs (like microsofts or any others) This is a big advantage since now we're in full control and thus add any stuff we like, or fix any bug we find.

The TvPlugin for MediaPortal works quite good, but needs some changes
    Currently all stuff works, but for perfect playback i'm going to write a new
    directshow filter which handles RTSP and mpeg-2 demultiplexing itself
    The reason for this is:
    - no dependencies on microsoft mpeg-2 demultiplexer
    - fast seeking forward/backward
    - fast zap times (even with dvb)

Frodo

Nightmare77

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Canberra
    Home Country
    OMG that sounds sooo sweet, i can't wait, this is going to blow everything out of the water, you could seriously charge for MP if you wanted with this type of functionality.

Downzy

Portal Pro
    January 5, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Home Country
    A little off-topic here, and I would assume that someone may have already thought about it, but will the client have ability to wake the server up to watch TV? ie use a WOL magic packet

If the server is hibernating for example and you sit down at the client end to watch tv, there needs to be an easy way to wake the server up.

This new TV engine sounds fantastic, and I might just have to put some of my cabling works on hold and re-think where stuff is run to! Can't wait :)

Cheers,
    Downzy

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Sorry for my ignorance, but does this mean that blasters can't change channels when using this engine? :roll:

seti_one

Portal Member
    July 23, 2006
    Dumb question :)

Does this change mean that I will need two boxes to run the new media portal? Or does the server also run standalone?

joboehl

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    frodo said:
    joboehl:
    - The server records the stream and stores it on its local HD
    - files are recorded and timeshifted as mpeg-2 program streams, not as
    mpeg-2 transport streams

Now here's the current status:
    The server is done and under test atm.
    This took some more time then expected since we decided to write our own mpeg-2 demultiplexer & multiplexer directshow filter. That way the server does not depend anymore on any external filters or codecs (like microsofts or any others) This is a big advantage since now we're in full control and thus add any stuff we like, or fix any bug we find.

The TvPlugin for MediaPortal works quite good, but needs some changes
    Currently all stuff works, but for perfect playback i'm going to write a new
    directshow filter which handles RTSP and mpeg-2 demultiplexing itself
    The reason for this is:
    - no dependencies on microsoft mpeg-2 demultiplexer
    - fast seeking forward/backward
    - fast zap times (even with dvb)

Frodo

Frodo, congrats on the excelent work. I think if you are rewriting most of the engine makes sense do make this step going away from the MS multiplexer/demultiplexer now, even if it takes more time.

Just on question, when you say that controling external STBs will not be available in the firs release, you mean the first "preview" release or the actual 0.3?

Thanks for the quick reply.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    What you can do:

stand alone:
    • TV-Server + MediaPortal Client installed on one HTPC
    • feels like current version of MediaPortal but you do not need to start MediaPortal to record a show, because the TV-server is running as windows service.
    Network:
    • TV-Server installed on one PC that is hosting the TV-Cards
    • MediaPortal installed on the client(s) that were controling the Server
    • feels like current version of MediaPortal, but the TV-Server is now doing your recordings, so your clients do not need to run when recording and you do not need TV-Cards in your client(s).
    • TV-Server streams TV to the clients over the network. the clients can change the channel and use the timeshiftbuffer from the server

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Basz said:
    Would it be possible to add streaming input functionality to this list in the new engine?

This would for example make it possible to
    - have an ip-camera as a channel in MyTV
    - watch live streams (many available) from the internet
    very interesting idea

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom