Thumbnails, album & video cover art (1 Viewer)

Frodo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Did you know that:

1. you can create thumbnails for your files?
    Its very easy. If your file is called
    my song.mp3
    then create a file my song.tbn. This file is just a normal .jpg
    file, but with the extension .tbn
    This works for both movies as for music songs

2. You can create thumbnails for your folders?
    If you got a folder like c:\media\movies\a beautifull mind
    then put a file called folder.jpg in it
    so you will have c:\media\movies\a beautifull mind\folder.jpg
    the folder.jpg will be shown for the folder icon from now on!

3. You can retrieve music album art & info?
    In My Music, First scan your music collection by hitting the
    scan button in my music
    Next, select a song and hit F3. This will query www.allmusic.com
    for the album info & thumbnail

4. You can retrieve video cover art & info?
    In My Movies, select a movie file and hit F3.
    This will query www.imdb.com for the
    movie info & thumbnail. You can also do this with folders btw

Frodo

R

ravy37170

frodo said:
    Did you know that:

1. you can create thumbnails for your files?
    Its very easy. If your file is called
    my song.mp3
    then create a file my song.tbn. This file is just a normal .jpg
    file, but with the extension .tbn
    This works for both movies as for music songs
    frodo said:
    I've tried but it doesn't work.

I take a picture of a single and recall with the same name of the music file changing extension with .tbn and nothing change.

Perhaps i don't understand but your operation is to associate a file with a picture, isn't it?

Thx

CoolHammer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2004
    Finland
    Copy your thumbs under thumbs folder. It is located c:\program files\team mediaportal\mediaportal\thumbs

There you see different folders for music etc. Copy your thumb files to correspond folder

CoolHammer

R

ravy37170

thx for your fast reply CoolHammer

But:

I've tried and it still doesn't work.

I will more explain my example:

I've got music store in the folder F:\Music\Singles\Rock
    In the folder "Rock" i ve a lot of songs in mp3.
    I've create a file cold "folder.jpg" in the folder "Rock" to give a picture for it.
    So, in MP when i clic on the folder "Rock", i see all the songs with the same small icon with the picture of the file "folder.jpg".

What i want is in MP, when i go to the folder "Rock", it gives differents pictures for each song, instead of same picture for all.

So i tried what you said : create in C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\thumbs\music a file toxicity.tbn refear to the song toxicity.mp3 presents in the folder F:\Music\Singles\Rock

I surely don't understand something (sorry for my bad english)

samuel337

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    ravy37170 said:
    I will more explain my example:

I've got music store in the folder F:\Music\Singles\Rock
    In the folder "Rock" i ve a lot of songs in mp3.

What i want is in MP, when i go to the folder "Rock", it gives differents pictures for each song, instead of same picture for all.

So i tried what you said : create in C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\thumbs\music a file toxicity.tbn refear to the song toxicity.mp3 presents in the folder F:\Music\Singles\Rock

I think the toxicity.tbn file needs to reside in the same folder as the mp3 file, so for the song toxicity.mp3 in F:\Music\Singles\Rock, toxicity.tbn should be in F:\Music\Singles\Rock as well.

EDIT: whoops, I think that's what you did originally...

Sam

A

Anonymous

After much experimenting, i think that I have got it!

The folder.jpg thing works just as described in the original post. The name of the file should be folder.jpg and go inside the folder that you want it to refer to.

To create thumbnails for video files, name the image file the same as the video file that you want it to represent, but with the extension being jpg, and place it in the same folder that the video file is in. I haven't tried it for music files, so I can't comment on that.

Example: Video file is c:/Home Movies/Vacation.mpg Get a screenshot from the movie (if this is what you want to do) and name it Vacation.jpg Place that file in the c:/Home Movies folder.

Now, I am still a little confused. When MP is able to get the thumbnail automatically, it does place the file in the c:\program files\team mediaportal\mediaportal\thumbs\videos folder, but, for some reason, this didn't work when I did it manually.

Also, why doesn't MP just use the first frame of a video for the preview image/thumbnail, just like Windows does? I know this is probably more a question for the general discussion, but am I missing something here? That would be a lot easier than having to manually create a screenshot and put it in the folder with each video, expecially if you have many short clips that are not in the IMDB.

critifer

Portal Pro
    February 9, 2005
    Thumbnail - and ONE CLICK PLAY ...?

Guys,

Can I ask a question as I work my way around some of these features in MP. I rove from HTPC app to other so much, but see something very special with MP and am going to likely stay put with so much in the works.

I like the thumbnal approach and has MANY uses for me, I am also working on the IMDB sections for my movies of which many are .ISO's, many are 2 part .MPEG's or AVI's, and some are single MPEG or AVI's.

Whay I am trying to get away from is a folder drill down approach - and hide the levers under the cover. Meaning - a movie is selected, click play, boom - plays (or mounts/plays). Not I click on the thumbnail, then into another folder then on the file to play it.

How is this accomplished within MP -... I am getting the feeling this indeed can be done, but am missing a step. I know Daemon mounts my ISO's and just need the last tip to automate this.

"On the flip side, there are some areas with Sitcoms and the like which I would like a FOLDER IMAGE, then drill down within many episodes which I know will indeed work"..

Thanks to all for any help.
    Chris

A

Anonymous

frodo said:
    Did you know that:

3. You can retrieve music album art & info?
    In My Music, First scan your music collection by hitting the
    scan button in my music
    Next, select a song and hit F3. This will query www.allmusic.com
    for the album info & thumbnail

Frodo

Hi to frodo and the others,

little question:

I´m looking for a little tool, that helps me to find audio cover arts. I think about a tool that can do a batchwork to search for thumbs and then "export" them to the different folders in "MP-format". Any ideas? MP is in this way a little bit slow and not very comfortable.

cu

dippas

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom