Tip - Single seat, wait for services to start before running Mediaportal (1 Viewer)

lewi0146

Portal Member
May 14, 2007
Home Country
I installed today's SVNs for MediaPortal and the TVServer, checked the setting, rebooted, and viola, MediaPortal started and, wait for it, the TV worked first time!

I've only tested it once, but that's good enough for me!

thanks for fix

cheers,

Trent

Hetfield

Portal Pro
March 3, 2007
Home Country
Finland Finland
Not working well enough

Option 1: No help at all to the start up problem ==> TV won't show up. Socket exceptions in log, "... actively refused... " just like earlier.

Option 2: Setting to 60 sec or more helps, but starting is way too slow. Please make option 1 to work.

Why this is so slow to start up? TVServer? SQL Server? Does this work better with MY SQL? I have 0.2.3 RC2. Is it impossible to make the client plugin to be so stable, that setting My TV off and on would solve this issue (without needing to restart MediaPortal.exe)?

ANY HOPE TO GET SQLITE OR SOMETHING LIGTH??????????????????????????????

log-text deleted by infinityloop
ATTACH logfiles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hetfield

Portal Pro
March 3, 2007
Home Country
Finland Finland
I rather use the script shown in this thread than the MediaPortal start up delay features. Reasons:

1) Wait for ... ... to start -option does not work. Result is exception when trying to watch TV after boot. MediaPortal needs to be closed to fix this (no error recovery on MediaPortal TV client side).

2) Start up delay causes a need to wait 60 seconds for start up, even if it's not after boot. For example if i close MediaPortal manually and restart it, i need to wait 60 seconds. With smaller waiting MediaPortal doesn't show TV after boot. And what if 60 seconds is not enough after some boot ==> not a working solution. I suggest to drop this feature and make the wait for... ... to work.

3) The script doesn't make you wait any second too long. And it doesn't make you to wait, if you restart MediaPortal manually when PC has already been running for a while. First it waits SQL Server, then TV Server, then opens MediaPortal. And the time is much shorter than the 60 seconds which i have to use with MediaPortal start up delay feature. And the script has worked every time.

Please fix these issues. With problems like this, it's quite hard to tell my girlfriend why MediaPortal is better than the old regular TV. Reular TV has no boot problems which need expert/programmer level help to be able to watch TV.

Anyway, DVB subtittles seem to work (of course, made in Finland \O/), so one good reason tho keep TV engine 3 in use (if there will not be other stability problems). But not able to import Web EPG really pisses me also... I have to think which is more important: working EPG with TVE2 or subtittles with TVE3.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    1) Wait for ... ... to start -option does not work. Result is exception when trying to watch TV after boot. MediaPortal needs to be closed to fix this (no error recovery on MediaPortal TV client side).
    does not occur here, anyone else can confirm that there is a problem?

2) Start up delay causes a need to wait 60 seconds for start up, even if it's not after boot. For example if i close MediaPortal manually and restart it, i need to wait 60 seconds. With smaller waiting MediaPortal doesn't show TV after boot. And what if 60 seconds is not enough after some boot ==> not a working solution. I suggest to drop this feature and make the wait for... ... to work.
    does not occur here, anyone else can confirm that there is a problem?

Anyway, DVB subtittles seem to work (of course, made in Finland \O/), so one good reason tho keep TV engine 3 in use (if there will not be other stability problems). But not able to import Web EPG really pisses me also... I have to think which is more important: working EPG with TVE2 or subtittles with TVE3.
    you should realy think about the way how you post here.
    more posts like "this pisses me" and you wont get answers anymore (at least from me).

be polite and we will try to help. there is NO other way.

Hetfield

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    1) I hope someone else also has this problem. Otherwise I'm alone.

2) By this I mean I have to set the delay to 60 sec or more to make TV work after boot. And that delay causes that the same time has to be waited every time I close and restart MediaPortal.

3) ---Quote (Originally by Hetfield)---
    ---End Quote---
    you should realy think about the way how you post here.
    more posts like "this pisses me off" and you wont get answers anymore (at least from me).

be polite and we will try to help. there is *NO* other way.

Sorry. I really respect the work you developers are doing. This "pisses me" has nothing to do of your work or MediaPortal. I just was tired after tuning MediaPortal two nights with no results i expected.

By the way... Web EPG issue was solved by deleting the database and recreating that. So as long as the DOS script works on boot, I will use TVE3. One more bug noticed: "SubTV" and "Subtv" doesn't mean the same in EPG mapping as regards to channel names. Renaming one channel made Web EPG to work perfectly on all channels, otherwise one channel had no EPG data. Channel names should be handled in all cases of letters and trimmed.

Best wishes for you dev's, don't get pissed by my posts:sorry: :)

Hetfield

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Hi. I found also others having similar problems as I:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mediaportal_svn_snapshot_09_22_2007_01-t28427.html

" Default MP starting not at System start...
    Hi after im updated to the SVN from yesterday, i got the error that MP will not starting at system reboot/start.

I have tested to enter in the config to wait for the TVServer and a time of 10 Seconds...without success.

If i close the error message and open then MP manualy it works fine - only Live TV is freezing after a few seconds.

the same with the SVN from today

Please check the screenshot

MoPhat
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg MP_SampleError.jpg (26.7 KB, 13 views)"

Hetfield

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Now this works quite OK. It seems the "wait for tv server..." doesn't delay the startup of MediaPortal until the services are started. But anyway, the client doesn't crash if I try to watch TV. It just prompts me about the tv server configuration. I can wait something like 30 seconds, and then after opening "my tv" again, I'm able to watch TV with no problems. So the client is error tolerating now. Thanks, this is what I waited from the client side. No hang ups anymore, and no need to use external bat files, and no need to close and restart MediaPortal.

EDIT: Not practically OK, but doesn't hang anymore.

mrkaras

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2006
    Home Country
    That sound like it not fixed, it still doesn't just run first time in, unless I am misunderstanding you. It sounds like you are probably still better off with the bat file. It sounds like it behaves better but still not correctly, it shouldn't have a fixed tag yet should it?

I have enough other issues, I'm not trying this at this stage (I will stick to the bat file for now). Maybe I'll give it a go on the weekend.

andreaswith

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 4, 2006
    Norway
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I agree, it's only paritally fixed. And since it's not that critical I can live with it, the problem is the reduced WAF.

My experience is this: I start up the MP-comp, and the first button I press is the "guide"-button, it says "no channel (my translation)" in all the lines, and ofcourse no EPG. I go to main menu (by ressing the "menu"-buttin, and tries the EPG again a few times with some time in between, 15 min. total, and there is still no EPG. Only when I go through the "TV" menu (which my wife and I rarely uses) and then go to the guide it's updated.

A restart of the entire MP frontend fixes it as well, but not suspend/wake up.

I didn't know which logs were interesting, so I picked those with the relevant timestamp. Just ask for more. I can always replicate the problem.

Hetfield

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    That sound like it not fixed, it still doesn't just run first time in, unless I am misunderstanding you. It sounds like you are probably still better off with the bat file. It sounds like it behaves better but still not correctly, it shouldn't have a fixed tag yet should it?

I have enough other issues, I'm not trying this at this stage (I will stick to the bat file for now). Maybe I'll give it a go on the weekend.

Yes, you got it right. It's not fixed, so I removed the fixed mark. Without this bat file I would maybe use TVE2. Current situation is that wihtout this bat file I'm able to start TV with some tricks without needing to shutdown and restart MediaPortal. At the first phase restarting MediaPortal was the only way, trying to start the My TV without shutting down MediaPortal first caused hang every time.

So we seem to have same symptons, I guess? Maybe I should also try it without the bat file, and if we can both offer the log files, maybe they are able to fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom