[no Bug] Too slow in case of LAN folder (1 Viewer)

XAA

Portal Member
December 18, 2009
Home Country
Russian Federation Russian Federation
My ION based PC is conected directly to NAS MyBookWorld II via 1 Gb Ethernet port.
NAS containes my collection of movies. System works fine with one ecxeption only.
Acess to my folders via mediaportal is very, very slow. To open folder which containes about 400 files I need more then 2 minutes!! In case of USB drive delay is about 10sec what also is long enough but 2 min is killer.
I saw messages about this problem in the forum. I saw also information: bug is fixed, but problem is here until now.
I have already wrote about this bug, but have no any feedback.

Configuration of my system is very typical and for my opinion problem is serious enough to take attention.

MediaPortal Version: 1.1RC1
MediaPortal Skin: lue wide
Windows Version: windows 7
CPU Type: atom 330
HDD: 250 gb
Memory: 2 gb
Motherboard: asus mb1501
Video Card: nvidea ION
Video Card Driver: 8.16.11.9107
Sound Card:
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card:
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    You have enabled creating thumbnails for video files (I think it is on by default). Creating thumbnails over a network means the actual file needs to be read and decoded and that is a lot of network traffic. Doing this for 400 files can easily slow down the network to a crawl and it will take time - lot more than just 2 minutes. On the bright side this only needs to be done once. Or you can disable thumbnail creation.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Configuration of my system is very typical and for my opinion problem is serious enough to take attention.

Are both PCs running Windows 7?

You could try disabling thumbnail creation in configuration - this might help.

Alternatively you could split your library into smaller folders.

However, telling us that this is serious enough to take attention will probably not help. The developers have spent a huge amount of time on all aspects of MediaPortal. The fact is, MediaPortal is a complex application, and some of the stuff that it does will take time. I agree that two minutes to open a folder is slow. However, you are trying to access this across the network on a USB drive. MediaPortal has to work with all setups, and this level of generality does have a cost.

Best wishes,

Mark

XAA

Portal Member
    December 18, 2009
    Home Country
    Hi Mark,

I use one PC based on ION under Windows 7.

NAS is based on some kind of Lunix and connected directly to PC via gigabit LAN port.
    NAS is fast enough for this kind of applications (read as quickly as about 20 mbytes per sec)
    Under this configuration I needed more then 2 minutes to see list of files inside 400 files forder.

To understand problem better I connected to my PC external HDD via USB 2. (Speed of device is about 30 mbytes to read and write). In this case time to show list of files inside similar forder is much less (about 10-15 sec).

We can speek about some problem in case of LAN exactly.

I swiched off autocreating of thumbnail and tried to repeat experiment. I was not able to do this puctually (my wife is my boss) but also in this case I needed more then 1 minutes to open the same LAN folder. Tom. I`ll try to do this again to measure delay accurately but I am almost sure delay is become formed by some bug in part of code which interacts with LAN.

I understand as complex MP is and how much time developers needed to create MP but this small problem is able to devalue labour of many person.

Best regards,
    Alexander

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Do you use hostname to map your network drive (I:)?
    Some users have reported slow access using hostname. Can you also try using the IP addres and see if you get some improvement?

XAA

Portal Member
    December 18, 2009
    Home Country
    I use host name (MyBooks../movies) and some kind of driver from WD which let me mount these LAN folders as local drives.
    I use this NAS with many programs and never saw any problems or noteable delay.
    What do I need to arrange access of MP to videofolders via IP? I use in my systems static IP addresses.

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    Usually the fastest is to use unc path like \\MyServer\MySharedFolder\ & not mapped drives, but thats my experience on windows network.

Regards
    Roy

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Usually the fastest is to use unc path like \\MyServer\MySharedFolder\ & not mapped drives, but thats my experience on windows network.
    Or if you want to avoid hostnames: \\<server ip>\MySharedFolder\
    e.g.
    \\192.168.1.150\Media\

ryan20021982

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 27, 2008
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    e.g.
    \\192.168.1.150\Media\

Most people dont assign static IP's so a restart could cause the lose of all videos.

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    e.g.
    \\192.168.1.150\Media\

Most people dont assign static IP's so a restart could cause the lose of all videos.
    True, but this was mostly meant as a diagnostic method rather than a permanent solution. Although if name resolution is slow, there is nothing MediaPortal can do about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom