[Tool] SyncMP (1 Viewer)

jojo1411

Portal Pro
January 23, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
AW: [Tool] Sync

If there are enough people who share your opinion, I will think about it.

Icing on the cake would be Music Videos support as well

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    AW: [Tool] Sync

While searching for Synch Options, I found this - sounds very interesting.
    Will give it a try as soon as I can - and would also be interested if all common DBs could be synced/supported (Music Videos, Fanart).
    Thanks for your work!

craige1

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2008
    Alice Springs
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Re: [Tool] Sync

You sir, are a bloody legend!

You just fixed one of MediaPortal's biggest flaws. If you can get it to be more generic with the DB's(plugins) it can support, then you have just solved a major issue with the whole client/server setup.

I think you will quickly earn a great reputation around here.

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: [Tool] SyncMP

Are there any examples for let's say 2 or 3 clients available? I've two clients and want to keep them completly in sync (DBs, thumbs, ...) is that possible?

seppi2204

Portal Pro
    December 8, 2010
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Okay, here i made an example for let's say 3 clients. It's only an example and there I know that are also other ways to set it up, e.g. with the usage of a NAS. Please also note that this is a description with no automation of the update processes via SyncServer. If you have questions on how to set it up to get also the update-automation working, ask me again ;-)

Client 1 - designated Server [non-automatical update!]
    -> MediaPortal installed
    -> all plugins you want to update have to be installed
    -> You update your databases like you did it everytime. [Configuration -> MovingPictures/TV-Series -> Update]

Client 2 & 3
    -> MediaPortal installed
    -> all plugins you want to update have to be installed
    -> SyncClient.exe has to run and to be configured, as shown in the attached pictures [I used the beta version]

Short description how it would work:
    Client 1, grabs the update informations as usual from the Web via Plugin Configuration. The saved Data (Thumbs, Fanarts & Database) will be stored on the local HD.

When Client 2 or 3 wakes up from standby, they perform a update of the databases via SyncClient.exe:
    • SyncClient will wake up Client1 if WOL is enabled [Resume/Suspend -> WOL]
    • SyncClient checks if there are new Movies/Series/Music in one of the configured databases, if there are it performs a SQL synchronisation of the configured tables, other tables will not be touched.
    • SyncClient will synchronize the configured Profiles [Syncronisation->Profiles]. DON'T ENTER DATABASE PATHS, usually only Thumbs!

Hope it answered all your questions, if not don't hesitate to ask again and again ;-)
    Seppi2204

NOTE: In the attached pictures I've only set up the Paths and Profiles. All other things have not been touched - they should be self-explanatory.

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

seppi2204
    you forgot the pictures - will try your howto tonight.

But what does now happen if i delete a series from client 2? Or when client 2 scans the share and adds a new movie to the db?

seppi2204

Portal Pro
    December 8, 2010
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

@seppi2204
    you forgot the pictures - will try your howto tonight.

But what does now happen if i delete a series from client 2? Or when client 2 scans the share and adds a new movie to the db?

Okay here are the pictures, sorry I have forgotten it.

The update will equal all movie Data.
    So If you delete or add Series or Movies from one of the CLIENTS they would be at least available till the next update. When you do your update there will be the same content shown.
    I'm not sure but maybe it will keep the more actual database - then it would keep the movies if you add it manually on CLIENT2 or CLIENT3

Attachments

• Paths.jpg
      Paths.jpg
      81.4 KB
    • Profiles.jpg
      Profiles.jpg
      66.8 KB

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

So i can only add remove, ... on the "master" client... ? Why do we need to wakeup the client1 if we could copy the db files to a server which is already waked up by all clients?

seppi2204

Portal Pro
    December 8, 2010
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Hi disaster,
    That's what I meant with "are also other ways to set it up, e.g. with the usage of a NAS".

You can set this in two ways:
    • Set the Nas/Server Path as the default path of all plugins on Client1. So all Data of the plugins will be saved on the Server. On Client 2&3 you set this path in SyncClient as "Master-Path". The handicap of this would be that Client1 has to grab all the data over the network, which isn't that fast as it would be when it's been saved on the local HD. Probably it will take a little bit longer to load the db's when you enter MovingPictures/TVSeries.
    • The other way is to grab all the Data to the local HD and synchronize it with the NAS/Server Path. Handicap of this would be that you have each time you did an update, have to run the Synchronization tool, to get the newest Data on the NAS/Server

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom