TSWriter deadlock potential fix. (1 Viewer)

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Could it be that this patch is causing the epg grabber to stop working somehow?

Since a day after the install (installed on 19-6, last successful dvb epg action was on the 20th) I don't get any epg data downloaded.
    Didn't notice until today as epg is always a couple of days ahead.

tv.log extract (only lines with epg in it) attached.

Manually starting the dvb epg grabber doesn't do anything.
    Clicked Refresh DVB EPG right after I stopped live tv, and let it be for 4 minutes. After that, started live tv again.
    Log (at debug level) of that time:
    Code:
    [2013-06-24 22:40:02,395] [Log	] [TS_File_Cleanup] [INFO ] - card:  trying to delete D:\recorded tv\TimeShift\live3-0.ts.tsbuffer2.ts
    [2013-06-24 22:40:02,411] [Log	] [TS_File_Cleanup] [INFO ] - card:  deleted file D:\recorded tv\TimeShift\live3-0.ts.tsbuffer2.ts
    [2013-06-24 22:40:06,748] [Log	] [20	  ] [INFO ] - Controller: epg stop
    [2013-06-24 22:40:06,748] [EPG	] [20	  ] [INFO ] - EPG: grabber stopped..
    [2013-06-24 22:40:06,763] [Log	] [20	  ] [INFO ] - Controller: epg start
    [2013-06-24 22:40:06,795] [EPG	] [20	  ] [INFO ] - EPG: grabber initialized for 9 transponders..
    [2013-06-24 22:44:10,549] [Log	] [16	  ] [INFO ] - Controller: find free card for channel BBC 2

Edit: this was all done with the tswriter of 16-6.
    Will give the latest (of 20-6) a try as soon as I gain control of the remote :)

Edit2: Wanted to stop the tvservice to update tvlib and tswriter, but service wouldn't stop.
    After killing process, updating both dll's, and checking the tv server configuration, it was downloading epg as normal. Will keep a close eye on it.

One other thing:
    I have a dual dvb-c card, and some other ones too. I notice that when I'm watching TV, no epg is downloaded at all, no matter if i use one of the dvb-c's or just a plain analog one to watch the TV.
    As there is always one or two dvb-c cards available, it could use it to download epg data right?

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for the feedback doskabouter! (y)

More likely the deadlock is still occuring. This conclusion is supported by your comment here:
    Edit2: Wanted to stop the tvservice to update tvlib and tswriter, but service wouldn't stop.

One other thing:

I have a dual dvb-c card, and some other ones too. I notice that when I'm watching TV, no epg is downloaded at all, no matter if i use one of the dvb-c's or just a plain analog one to watch the TV.

As there is always one or two dvb-c cards available, it could use it to download epg data right?

AIUI the EPG grabber logic is to only grab EPG when all tuners are idle. With some work it would be possible to make the change that you are suggesting, but that is not my focus right now...

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Thanks for the feedback doskabouter! (y)

More likely the deadlock is still occuring. This conclusion is supported by your comment here:

One other thing:

AIUI the EPG grabber logic is to only grab EPG when all tuners are idle. With some work it would be possible to make the change that you are suggesting, but that is not my focus right now...

I've had this feature on my mental to do list as well.
    added to Jira for tve3.5

https://issues.team-mediaportal.com/browse/TVLIB-31

/gibman

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I did this some time ago for a private build, it worked, but it wasn't thaaat great with our current epg grabber... don't know the exact issues any more, but there was no real improvement without improving the whole EPG grabber...

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Just to bump this topic....

Do we think that the problem is (now, with the latest TsWriter locking mods) related to the EPG processing code blocking/hanging due to data parsing issues in some circumstances (and hence blocking the interface from TsWriter, so the whole graph hangs) ?

Django.edwards

Portal Pro
    October 22, 2009
    Eupen
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Yeah, it would be quite good to solve this Problem. It seems that several users have the Problem with blocking EPG in the last time. :confused:
    I saw several threads in the german Forum. If there is a Problem with the EPG-Data transmitted over air, how to see if it came from the transmitted data or not.
    Would like to provide help if possible.

Last edited:

Vasilich

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2009
    Germany, Mayence
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    i am also getting problems (complete HTPC freeze several times a day) last several days (~ a week), and it worked almost without problems (freeze once per 2 weeks) last 2 months. Nothing was changed in HTPC (still using 1.2.3). Note that i also live in Germany, so it somehow can be connected to EPG data decoding. This problem doesn't occur if i uncheck idle EPG grabber.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Okay, here's another version.
    Need separate versions for MP 1.3 and 1.4 now due to the TVLibrary.dll.

Hi @mm1352000 - is there a patch (or branch) available for this (v3) version ?

Does TsWriter.ax have significant changes, apart from the extra logging, compared to the previous v2 version ?

Thanks,

Tony

Last edited:

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Somehow, epg downloading has stopped again (and an unresponsive tvservice when trying to stop it)

Fortunately, I do have logs now, perhaps someone can improve current code based on this

Edit: Hm, after a reboot and 2 hours of epg grabbing, still no (or just a few) entries visible, so perhaps there is some issue at my provider. To be continued...

Edit2: after a removal of all channels and doing a new channelscan, everything is working as it should be.

Attachments

• epg error.zip
      2.7 MB
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom