TV = Black & White

Discussion in 'General Support' started by Quint, February 26, 2005.

1. Quint

Quint Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi All,

I was trying to setup my pc for a television connection. I have a Dell laptop (Inspiron 8600 with GF5200FX) with a specific 7 pins s-video out connector. I plugged a regular 4 pins s-video to composite plug into it and then a cable to the composite in of my sony tv. I tried both powerdvd and wmp, where on my laptop the movie was shown in a window and on my television full screen. Everything worked excellent, exactly how I wanted. Except for one thing: The movie on my tv was black and white. The quality was very good, but not in colour.

Is this a cable issue or is it something with some settings in the nvidia driver setup on my laptop?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mediabakra

mediabakra Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Maby your output signal is ntsc and your tv is pal or reverse.
    You can check it in your driver

4. Quint

Quint Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    output signal is pal/b and so is my tv.

5. oswald

oswald Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  6. Quint

Quint Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's indirectly related to mp and besides I can't read French.

Anyway I'm not asking for a solution, I only want to know whether it's a cable or a driver setting issue.

7. eLow

eLow Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  8. SPYcorp

SPYcorp Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The is problem maybe your TV. Most older TV cant handle S-Video (or was it composide dont know) Signals. The Result is, the the Screen is black/white. Friend of me got the same Problem with his TV out connectet to his TV.
    Same with my fathers AV-Receiver. Connecting the S-Video from his DVDplayer give black/white. Loop it throu an Svideo "compatible" device to Scart the Colors return ;)

9. mediabakra

mediabakra Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Yep, try using composite instead of s-video. I think this will solve your problem. You need to find out witch pin you can use from your laptop s-video out to conect to a composite plug

10. Vic

Vic Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You can also check if your TV has a setting for receiving S-VHS. I had the same problem when connecting S-VHS to my old TV, but after checking the manual I saw that I had to change a setting to receive the signal correctly. So now S-video works perfectly on the TV which was bought in 1996 :)

11. Quint

Quint Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    uh...old tv?

I have a 84 cm widescreen 100 hz Sony tv with 3 scarts, 1 composite in and 1 s-video in. I would say it's not really an old tv.

But I'll check the manual to see if I have to change something.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!