TV = Black & White (1 Viewer)

Q

Quint

Hi All,

I was trying to setup my pc for a television connection. I have a Dell laptop (Inspiron 8600 with GF5200FX) with a specific 7 pins s-video out connector. I plugged a regular 4 pins s-video to composite plug into it and then a cable to the composite in of my sony tv. I tried both powerdvd and wmp, where on my laptop the movie was shown in a window and on my television full screen. Everything worked excellent, exactly how I wanted. Except for one thing: The movie on my tv was black and white. The quality was very good, but not in colour.

Is this a cable issue or is it something with some settings in the nvidia driver setup on my laptop?

M

mediabakra

Maby your output signal is ntsc and your tv is pal or reverse.
You can check it in your driver

Q

Quint

It's indirectly related to mp and besides I can't read French.

Anyway I'm not asking for a solution, I only want to know whether it's a cable or a driver setting issue.

SPYcorp

Portal Member
February 17, 2005
The is problem maybe your TV. Most older TV cant handle S-Video (or was it composide dont know) Signals. The Result is, the the Screen is black/white. Friend of me got the same Problem with his TV out connectet to his TV.
Same with my fathers AV-Receiver. Connecting the S-Video from his DVDplayer give black/white. Loop it throu an Svideo "compatible" device to Scart the Colors return ;)

M

mediabakra

Most older TV cant handle S-Video (or was it composide dont know) Signals. The Result is, the the Screen is black/white

Yep, try using composite instead of s-video. I think this will solve your problem. You need to find out witch pin you can use from your laptop s-video out to conect to a composite plug

V

Vic

You can also check if your TV has a setting for receiving S-VHS. I had the same problem when connecting S-VHS to my old TV, but after checking the manual I saw that I had to change a setting to receive the signal correctly. So now S-video works perfectly on the TV which was bought in 1996 :)

Q

Quint

uh...old tv?

I have a 84 cm widescreen 100 hz Sony tv with 3 scarts, 1 composite in and 1 s-video in. I would say it's not really an old tv.

But I'll check the manual to see if I have to change something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom