TV Guide EPG Grabber for Australia 2020 RIP freepg.tv (1 Viewer)

geotwticher

Portal Member
April 2, 2017
Home Country
Australia Australia
Following the recent demise of freepg.tv I am wondering what Mediaportal 2 users in Australia are using for an EPG grabber? I've tried xmltv.net but can't get it to work. I think the problem is with the xmltv.dtd file. I've tried the Mediaport one, as well as one from gihub but still no joy.

At the moment I can't record because my TV Guide is empty.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

John

ca36

May 23, 2020
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi John,

I have used xmltv.net with mixed success. I can get program info to load into the guide but for some reason it is showing the first page with the same start and end time. The following days are fine with the exception of a few random programs.

I have found a Kiwi web site that host files but only for Australian capital cities. I tried the Brisbane file which loaded ok after mapping correctly but showed the incorrect program. After examining the xml file I noticed a program that was meant to start at 4pm had start time as 0600 (6am) instead of 1600 (4pm), seems a 1 is dropped from the beginning. I tried contacting the site owner but there is no contact details. This page is meant for Plex users but I cant see why it cant be used for other Media Servers. I will put the site link below to see if you can get it to work.

Have you tried setting a manual schedule as a work around, not sure if that will work with an empty guide. I am also looking at EPG Buddy and Webgrab++ and will let you know if I have any luck.

The link for the site is Australia IPTV & EPG Files. There is a link in the Info section at the bottom of the page. Let me know how you get on or if you have already found a solution.

Cheers, Les.

geotwticher

Portal Member
April 2, 2017
Home Country
Australia Australia
I gave up on MediaPortal and now use NextPVR which easily and reliably gives me 7+days of EPG on all channels for free by default, which is enough for me at this stage. Plus I have the option of supported $4/month subscription services if I want more. MediaPortal seems a bit dead in the water in Australia because no-one is supporting it.

Lichloathe

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2007
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Here is a link to a site I've used recently to fetch xmltv guide data (just for testing purposes). It is set up for Plex users but seemed to work for MP using the xmltv plugin.
    I didn't have any problems except I'm not sure the episode numbers imported correctly, (names did).
    I still grab over the air EPG data but I clean it up with hurley's EPGcleaner plugin here.

Edit* just to let you know I don't think the EPGcleaner plugin will work for MP2.

Bdydrp

Portal Pro
    July 2, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I use EPG Centre for MP1, and have a batch file which i use windows to automatically run at midnight,
    Grabs my data and load into MP1 no worries

Only thing the data doesn't contain is season/episode numbers which makes series record a bit tricky or when they add sneak peek to a name, and it doesn't record

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom