MP2 - Spring'16 TV Guide - Jumping selection while scrolling (1 Viewer)

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

No sure if this is classed as a bug, but....

Not sure if it's a skin design issue or an actual MP2 issue, but....

I'm running Bluevision skin with Spring release.

When scrolling up and down through the channels on the main TV guide, I would expect the highlighted program to stay on the currently selected time. Eg: it's 10:20pm, I scroll from channel 1 to channel 2, I would expect the 10pm program to be highlighted, then when I scroll to channel 3,4,5 each one should have the 10pm program highlighted.

What I am seeing is a "random" jump/selection of item selections, sometimes the 11pm program is selected, sometimes the actual channel name on the left of the screen.

Not sure if this is by design or a bug??

Thanks,

J.

ps - It appears it only jumps to the channel name when I am scrolling up through the channel list and not down(?)

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi there,

No sure if this is classed as a bug, but....

Not sure if it's a skin design issue or an actual MP2 issue, but....

I'm running Bluevision skin with Spring release.

When scrolling up and down through the channels on the main TV guide, I would expect the highlighted program to stay on the currently selected time. Eg: it's 10:20pm, I scroll from channel 1 to channel 2, I would expect the 10pm program to be highlighted, then when I scroll to channel 3,4,5 each one should have the 10pm program highlighted.

What I am seeing is a "random" jump/selection of item selections, sometimes the 11pm program is selected, sometimes the actual channel name on the left of the screen.

Not sure if this is by design or a bug??

Thanks,

J.

ps - It appears it only jumps to the channel name when I am scrolling up through the channel list and not down(?)

Hi, thanks for testing MP2 and reporting a "potential bug".
    I just tried it in my EPG and could not reproduce it. Would you be so kind and take each 1 screenshot for correct and incorrect case.
    Thanks a lot

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    I can confirm this, but it can not be shown on screenshot. You most likely need a screen video for this to demonstrate...
    As I'm not completely done with my Win10 migration I'm not able to provide such a video now...

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have reworked parts of EpgGrid for a better selection of next program. I now compare the start times (current program and all programs in next row) and select the nearest one. This still can lead to "jumps", if a long running program in one row and multiple shorter programs in next row.

If the current focused program is the running one, then also the running item of next row will be chosen.

This change also fixes a glitch in scrolling down behavior, the "down" needed to be done twice.

osre

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2014
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I actually have an idea for keybord Focus Change that might improve the prediction which button should be focused next.
    It's hard to explain but I try:
    You add a virtual Cursor Position which is managed at Pixel Level.
    wehen you navigate up it makes a ray cast from this Position up (may be a couple of Pixels wide) and the 1st button hit will get the Focus.
    The vertical Position of this Cursor is then set to the button Center. The horizontal Position of it will not Change.
    By thsi if you go up and down in the EPG and the Shows are shifted in time, you stay at the same time when going up or down multiple rows in a row.
    Does this makes sense?

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You add a virtual Cursor Position which is managed at Pixel Level.
    wehen you navigate up it makes a ray cast from this Position up (may be a couple of Pixels wide) and the 1st button hit will get the Focus.
    The vertical Position of this Cursor is then set to the button Center. The horizontal Position of it will not Change.
    By thsi if you go up and down in the EPG and the Shows are shifted in time, you stay at the same time when going up or down multiple rows in a row.
    Does this makes sense?
    I think this is the (nearly) way it currently works. Last changes on auto-focus logic was done by @Brownard, so it's better to let him know your ideas as well.

We had different logic already, considering the center points of current and other controls and used the minimum distance in focus direction.

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I think this is the (nearly) way it currently works.
    Yes this is basically how it currently works except that the ray cast is the width of the currently focussed control. The closest control partially within the ray gets the focus, if 2 controls are the same distance away the 1 with the largest width inside the ray gets the focus. I can see how narrowing the ray could improve things although I think it ends up being a trade off depending on the layout. The relevant logic is here if you want to play about with it.

The reason why I made the ray the width of the control is for cases like the diagram below, if the bottom control has focus which control should get focus when pressing up?
    focus.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom