TV recording and streaming (2 Viewers)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I have been testing the "multitune" feature this monday using current MediaPortal/TV-Server svn.

I did record 3 channels and watched one other at the same time with out any issues (all channels were on the same transponder).
    inside my TestPC i use one Hauppauge-Nova-S2-HD.

I have one question. Do you use "additional filters" to watch PayTV?

hardcorehire

Portal Pro
    April 1, 2008
    OHIO
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I am not totally sure what you mean by "additional filters" I am only trying to tune analog channels and have no filters set that I know of, in fact I only seem to get the problem when I map cards to hybrid cards. Before I map cards I seem to be able to watch TV on more than one channel, but my problem shows up after I configure each card to a hybrid. Currently I have Time-Warner Cable digital and analog service that I have running from one main splitter then I have two Coax cables connected directly to each one of my two Hauppage 2250 tuner cards. Please let me know what more information you need as I really would like to incorporate MP throughout my house rather just on one TV. I appreciate any help. Maby the solution is to not setup hybrid cards? What would be the consequences of that?

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I am not totally sure what you mean by "additional filters" I am only trying to tune analog channels and have no filters set that I know of, in fact I only seem to get the problem when I map cards to hybrid cards. Before I map cards I seem to be able to watch TV on more than one channel, but my problem shows up after I configure each card to a hybrid.
    Uhm....

which TV-Cards do you use? Model/brand.

markius

Portal Pro
    December 26, 2006
    Maidstone, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    Guys

Apologies if I'm jumping on this thread unnecessarily but are we still talking about the same issue as in this thread:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...nel-fail-submittunerequest-returns-0x1-52250/

I get the impression that there seems to be two different issues in this thread. One is described by Dmitry (and me) and the other is described by hardcorehire.
    hardcorehire said:
    I am not totally sure what you mean by "additional filters" I am only trying to tune analog channels

I don't think multi-tune on an *analogue* tuner is likely to work any time soon.

Chris - Do you run Vista? Do you have the Vista TvPack installed? Over on the other thread we've determined that this doesn't seem to be card related...

Mark

markius

Portal Pro
    December 26, 2006
    Maidstone, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    And what is the "VISTA TvPack"? :confused:

Also the multitune feature on dvb is not OS related. It either works, or not. ;)

Vista TV Pack is an update for Vista that was released to OEMs in late 2008. It basically adds a few features to Vista Media Center like native DVB-S support but it's still not as rich in features as Mediaportal and it doesn't support multi-tuning. It does look very pretty though.

When you say multi-tune is not OS related, does that also mean that our problem is somewhere between OS and Application. IE that it's a DirectShow problem?

Mark

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    When you say multi-tune is not OS related, does that also mean that our problem is somewhere between OS and Application.
    Multitune is a feature inside TV-Server. If the code is not broken, then it simply works. Regardless if you use WinXP or VISTA.
    And none of your Vista using team members reported broken multitune yet. :)

btw. multi"tune" is allready a missleading.
    because technicaly the tv-card tunes the transponder where the channel is located and receives the transport stream. inside this stream there might be X channels, but only the one you are interested in (tuned) is displayed.

"multitune" just accesses one of the other channels on the same transponder.

hardcorehire

Portal Pro
    April 1, 2008
    OHIO
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I thought it sounded like the same problem you were having because it is the same concept. I am not trying to record to shows at once, but I am trying to watch two different channels on two different MP Clients. I have mulitple PC's setup around my house with one TV server running as a dedicated server. My server has Two Hauppauge 2250 Tuner Cards. When I setup Hybrid cards then try and start watching any analouge channel on the one clent, and then watch another different analouge channel on another MP Client. The TV service stops running on the dedicated server and shuts off both streams. Hence why I thought we were having similar probelms with trying to have multiple streams. In my case it looks like from the logs that it is always trying to use the same card even though it should switch to another analouge card. I am not very good at reading the logs. Maybe it is the same issue with Directshow? I don't know looking for answers. If you think this is unrealted I can start a new thread or if you know of any links to a similar problem thread let me know.

Thanks so much!!!

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    My server has Two Hauppauge 2250 Tuner Cards. When I setup Hybrid cards
    erm..... the Hauppauge 2250 is NOT a hybrid card as far as i know?
    It is a multi-tuner (or?).

* Dual built-in hardware MPEG-2 encoders for recording analog cable TV, for the best system performance. Watch and record two cable TV programs at the same time!
    * Dual digital TV receivers for ATSC or clear QAM. Watch and record two digital TV programs at the same time. Watch and record all ATSC and QAM formats, including the highest definition 1080i format

Hybrid card means that your TV-card has one dvb and one analog connector.
    But because they are crap, you can not use both at the same time.
    And this is why you have to tell TV-Server that these "2 tuners" are part of one hybrit card.
    So it knows that it can only use one "tuner" but never both at the same time.

So just not convert your tuners to "hybrit card" in configuration, and all is okay (if my assumption is correct ;)).

markius

Portal Pro
    December 26, 2006
    Maidstone, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    Multitune is a feature inside TV-Server. If the code is not broken, then it simply works. Regardless if you use WinXP or VISTA.
    And none of your Vista using team members reported broken multitune yet. :)

btw. multi"tune" is allready a missleading.
    because technicaly the tv-card tunes the transponder where the channel is located and receives the transport stream. inside this stream there might be X channels, but only the one you are interested in (tuned) is displayed.

"multitune" just accesses one of the other channels on the same transponder.

OK, so you're saying that multi-tune is a function of the TV Server and not related to OS.
    I'm saying that this doesn't seem to be hardware based on our findings over in the other thread.
    So... this points to the code being broken as although it works in the majority of cases, multi-tune does not working for Dmitry or I.

How can I help to fix this? Unfortunately my VC# isn't strong enough to help debug the code but I have a system here that can reliably produce the error.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom