Tv Recordings Broken Video and Audio (1 Viewer)

doogle

Portal Pro
October 24, 2008
Home Country
Ireland Ireland
My understanding of the issue is that if Windows is in away mode (no display output) then the recording discontuities occur consistently. What seems to be required is a way to wake windows fully i.e. Not in away mode. To be clear, my settings have away mode disabled, yet on wakeup the screen is off.

Last edited:

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    maybe that will just keep pc from going into standby, which I could already do , however that's not desirable as pc would be on when it doesn't need to be.
    You do still have the option of enabling standby in the settings for the Ultimate power plan, so it should work although I have not tried it.

My understanding of the issue is that if Windows is in away mode (no display output) then the recording discontuities occur consistently. What seems to be required is a way to wake windows fully i.e. Not in away mode. To be clear, my settings have away mode disabled, yet on wakeup the screen is off.
    Just chewing the cud here, so please ignore if not relevant, but I fail to see how turning the video off (e.g. Away mode) screws up a recording, you're not feeding the TV signal via the TV/display are you? With respect to Away mode there must be somewhere else where it needs to be disabled, I can't believe either Win 10 or MP force it on and ignore the settings.

doogle

Portal Pro
    October 24, 2008
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    The theory on this thread seems to be that the power state changes when screen is turned on or off by system Seems to me that away mode is an alternative to standby. However if screen is on at time of going to sleep, then it appears that going to sleep forces away mode on because that's seems to be the state on wake, i.e. Screen off.

doogle

Portal Pro
    October 24, 2008
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Logs attached with example of issue - record starts at 1605, I moved mouse at 1606, I stopped recording at 160748.

Hopefully it is clear from this that the errors stopped at 1606 and none reported after that.

Attachments

• MediaPortalLogs_11_11_18__16_08.zip
      887.9 KB

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Seems to me that away mode is an alternative to standby.
    I would not say it is an alternative more like an addition, i.e. it means the display does not light up in the middle of the night for a task that does not need the display, nice if located in a bedroom.

The theory on this thread seems to be that the power state changes when screen is turned on or off by system
    That may well be the case but why is it not seen as a more general problem, I don't see any difference between unattended recordings in away mode and those made when the display is in use. I know you are not alone in reporting this but is there any similarity in your system specs and those of the OP. If nothing else you are both in Ireland;).

Stephen O'Kane

Portal Member
    October 27, 2015
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Slight tangent: does the tswriter.ax affect power state?

My understanding was that the TsWriter does not directly affect power state, but that the modified version I used in MP1.15 works in such a way that it affects the power mode.

If nothing else you are both in Ireland;).

I am in Ireland, but in the North, in a UK Freeview area.

Also my issue was slightly different. I was getting the stuttering/break up of recordings even when the machine was on, screen on, while surfing for example.
    The recordings only seemed to work properly when the MP Player window was open.

doogle

Portal Pro
    October 24, 2008
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    I take your point about not wanting the screen to light up and I don't necessarily want that. It's more that it seems to indicate a power state change and also stops continuity errors in recordings. Perhaps downgrading to an earlier version of MP would be a useful test. Maybe a Windows update caused some change, I just don't know but I would like to resolve this .For now I'm preventing sleep during peak hours, and I expect perfect recordings.

Stephen O'Kane

Portal Member
    October 27, 2015
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Perhaps downgrading to an earlier version of MP would be a useful test..

It's worth a go and doesn't take long to uninstall/reinstall, maybe to MP1.15 and try using the alternative TsWriter.ax
    I don't know if it's possible to export setting/schedules etc and to import them into an older release.
    But you could backup, rollback for testing, then upgrade and re-import the backup settings etc when finished

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    There are two more power settings that may affect performance (apologies if you have already tried these):

(1) PCI Express: Link Power State Management
    Set this to "Off" if you are using a PCI-Express tuner card. Various people had problems with TBS tuner cards, and the advice from TBS was to disable link power management. The problem with TBS tuner cards was actually something else, but TBS clearly thought that it might affect the tuner card, so it is worth trying "Off" if you have a PCI-Express tuner card. My current setting is "Moderate power savings", and I almost never have any problems with the tuner.

(2) Multimedia settings: When playing video
    Set this to "Optimize video quality" (this is the setting that I use).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom