TV Series & Episode Info (1 Viewer)

Tomkon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2021
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Using MP 2.3.2.

I am using Schedules Direct JSON to populate my EPG.

I don't see the Series or Episode information for any tv shows. Is there a setting with MC2XML that needs configured or something in MP2?

I have previously recorded tv shows from WMC and the Series/Episode info is displayed for them, but nothing I record with MP2. I used Schedules Direct with WMC the same as now.

Thanks

TLD

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2007
    Rainy Washington
    Home Country
    I started using Schedules Direct SD DD and noticed the same thing, after poking around the Schedules Direct forums it looks like they only include the episode ID number, and that number is of no use.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I don't see the Series or Episode information for any tv shows.
    The thread linked here has some discussion about episode numbers from Schedules Direct. I have never used episode numbers, nor Schedules Direct, so I cannot provide any additional information.

I found the above thread by using the search facility of the MP web site to search for posts containing the keyword episode and posted by mm1352000. If you repeat this search, there may be other previous threads that contain useful info.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Tomkon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2021
    Home Country
    Thanks CyberSimian,

I followed the instructions on the link you provided. It did make a difference, the Guide coloring per genre now is working, but the Series/Episode info is now a strange number in the show title. See attachment:

Is this a setting in MP2 to get this strange number into a typical Series X Episode Y?

Or is there a different EPG than Schedules Direct that is known to work with MP2 and show Series/Episode info.

Attachments

• MP2_TV_Guide.png
      MP2_TV_Guide.png
      540.5 KB

Tomkon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2021
    Home Country
    Let me be clear, is there a EPG for the US that works with MP2.

Thanks

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    the Series/Episode info is now a strange number in the show title.
    Firstly, I use MP1 and have never used MP2. However, MP1 and MP2 use the same "TV Server", so the data available is the same. As far as the EPG is concerned, MP1 and MP2 merely differ stylistically.

Having said that, I have never seen series or episode numbers in the EPG (my EPG provider does not provide them). So are those weird numbers following the programme titles really series and episode numbers? They do not look believable to me.

As far as I know, "TV Server" provides only two facilities relating to series and episode numbers:

(1) Avoidance of recording the same episode twice. See the Episode key field on the "General" tab in the "Recording" section of "TV Server Config" (this page in the Wiki).

(2) Inclusion of the series and episode numbers as part of the file name of the recording. See the Format field on the "Custom paths and filenames" tab in the "Recording" section (same Wiki page as above).

As far as I know, "TV Server" does not add series or episode numbers to the EPG programme titles, or to the programme descriptions. Possibly this is a facility of which I am ignorant because my EPG provider does not provide identifiable series and episode numbers.

What might be occurring is that one of the processes that you are using is appending the programme title with a numeric value before passing that information to "TV Server". That process might be MC2XML, or XMLTV, or some other tool that you are using. I have not used any of those, so this is merely speculation.

Of course, there is nothing to stop you massaging the EPG file that you obtain from Schedules Direct, so that ancillary information is placed in the parts of the file that "TV Server" stores. For example, you could append the cast list to the programme description. But the distinctive nature of this extra info is lost -- "TV Server" will simply treat the added info as character strings.

If you are a programmer, you could write a script in a suitable programming language to perform any edits on the EPG file that you wanted :). If you are not a programmer, you will have to satisfy yourself with what others have already written. :(

is there a EPG for the US that works with MP2.
    I have never used Schedules Direct, but my understanding is that it is a very high quality EPG, with lots of information relating to each programme. You can use any EPG that provides an XML file, but the limitations that apply to series and episode numbers will be the same, whatever the source of the EPG.

Tomkon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2021
    Home Country
    Thanks CyberSimian

I do programme, but it has been many years ;). But I am willing to play around with xml file. What I can't figure out is how to force MP2 to reimport the guide data to test my edits. I could not find anything in the settings, and Windows Task Mgr doesn't show a process labeled TV Server or similar. I tried rebooting system, seemed to work first time but not second.

I have attached a screenshot highlighting what I am looking for. The recording chosen was one I recorded using WMC and moved the .wtv file into MP2 recordings.

MP2_SE_Example.png

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I have attached a screenshot highlighting what I am looking for. The recording chosen was one I recorded using WMC and moved the .wtv file into MP2 recordings.
    That result could be obtained by using a tool that reads the series and episode numbers from the downloaded EPG file, and appends it to the programme description in the edited EPG file. Then when "TV Server" reads the edited EPG file, it will view that extra info simply as part of the programme description, so you will see it:
    • When you view the programme description in the EPG for the programme that has the focus, and
    • When you view the recording details on the "Recorded TV" panel (that info is retained in the xml file that is generated for each successful recording).
    I guess from this that those numbers that appeared appended to the programme titles in the EPG grid are not what you are looking for? o_O

What I can't figure out is how to force MP2 to reimport the guide data to test my edits.
    I live in the UK, and I use the EPG that is broadcast embedded within the TV signals, so I have never used an xml EPG (yes, this is a case of the blind leading the blind :eek: ). But I think that you need to use the "TV Server" plugin called "XmlTv":

xmltv1.jpg xmltv2.jpg

In "TV Server Config", you first need to enable the "XmlTv" plugin (screen shot 1). Once enabled, you can select it in the list on the left, and see screen shot 2. I have marked the button that will (should) cause an immediate import of the EPG file. You will need to make sure that the other settings are correct before clicking "Import".

Tomkon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2021
    Home Country
    Sorry to have missed that import button on the XmlTv plugin interface.

I have been looking at the tvguide.xml file generated and can not find where MP2 is getting those numbers next to episode title from. Those numbers do not appear in the xml file section for those shows. Don't know what to edit to remove those. Any insights on how MP assembles the guide info would be helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom