TV-series plugin <--> Synology NAS: No go! (1 Viewer)

LukeV

Portal Member
January 26, 2010
Hi,

I'm new here on the forum, just start using MP and I think it's GREAT! I start using it because my Win MCE just couldn't handle DXVA-support along with subtitels and MP can. Above that, it's just prettier and easier to use!

But I have a problem with the TV-series plugin. All my data (movies and series) are on a Synology DS209j NAS. I've mapped some drives to locations on that NAS. Works great with movies, using the Movie plugin. Playback starts immediately. If I use the same method with the TV-series plugin it just doesn't work. My series are (most of them) in a mkv-container (just like my movies which play fine..). If I select a episode there is nothing happening. But when I monitor my NAS' network use I can see an enormous amount of data being sent to the HTPC. It seems like it's sending first the whole episode to the HTPC before playback begins. Actually I haven't had the patience to wait and see if the playback would start if I waited long enough....:rolleyes: I've tried it with mapped drives and also with entering the hostname (eg \\diskstation\series). Can someone help me, because I really want to use this plugin, because it looks great and it is supposed to work great to.

specs: win7 PRO, 32 bit. 4 gig RAM (yeah, yeah, windows only using 3, I know ;-)), ATI HD3450, SB X-fi Xtreme, AMD4200+ dual core. Thanks for all your help!

edit: mmmm... the problem now is also affecting my movies.... :-(

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    This should work just fine.

So the "hang" occurs when you actually try to play the file? Initial importing worked fine I take it?

Please post your logs for when you try to playback an episode and the hang happens. Also its weird its different in Moving Pictures because both just hand the filename/path off to Mediaportal to play. So we'll need logs.

ryan20021982

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 27, 2008
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Sounds like something with the nas, cause I have never had a problem using mapped drives or network address.

Did you use this setup when you used MCE?

LukeV

Portal Member
    January 26, 2010
    Yeah, it's serving me for more than 2 years now with MCE. Works great. Using mapped drives with admin privilege on the NAS. It also serves my Xtreamer mediaplayer on the same way.

Pictures and music also works via mapped drives. But those files are of course a lot smaller...

This should work just fine.

So the "hang" occurs when you actually try to play the file? Initial importing worked fine I take it?

Please post your logs for when you try to playback an episode and the hang happens. Also its weird its different in Moving Pictures because both just hand the filename/path off to Mediaportal to play. So we'll need logs.

I'm gonna make those logs! As I said, I'm not really sure it hangs. I just get lots of network traffic between the NAS and the HTPC. I'll try and wait for an hour or so to seen if it actually starts to play eventually.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    I'm gonna make those logs! As I said, I'm not really sure it hangs. I just get lots of network traffic between the NAS and the HTPC. I'll try and wait for an hour or so to seen if it actually starts to play eventually.

Disable the MediaInfo update otherwise, your problems might be related to that. Try manually updating all the MediaInfo.DLL files (I got 2 on mine) with the latest DLL version @ MediaInfo

Report your findings on that as well.

lanceuppercu

Portal Pro
    January 13, 2008
    London
    i have a similar problems with both tv-series and moving pictures hanging for a few seconds when selecting to play. im streaming over a gigabit lan so there shouldnt be a problem.

opening the file via media player home cinema, opens instantly.

Disable the MediaInfo update otherwise, your problems might be related to that. Try manually updating all the MediaInfo.DLL files (I got 2 on mine) with the latest DLL version @ MediaInfo

what does disabling mediainfo do and how do i do it?

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    i have a similar problems with both tv-series and moving pictures hanging for a few seconds when selecting to play. im streaming over a gigabit lan so there shouldnt be a problem.

opening the file via media player home cinema, opens instantly.

what does disabling mediainfo do and how do i do it?

There is no on/off option for MP-TVSeries as there is for MovingPictures. So to disable MediaInfo for MP-TVSeries you have to remove the MediaInfo.dll from the MediaPortal folder. It might cause a problem with other MediaPortal plugins/options, but MP-TVSeries will simply disable/not-use it.

As far as I know MovingPictures uses the MediaInfo.dll that is inside the plugins\Windows folder it installs into itself as well, so that one will also be unaffected (which is why I ended up with 2 versions on mine).

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Please check if you can play your episodes using the built in mediaportal plugin 'My Videos'. When mediaportal starts playback of an episode, it scans for mediainfo so it can be displayed in the Video OSD. This might be the cause of the hang in your case.

TVSeries only scans for MediaInfo when you import or manually scan for mediainfo. It does not try to scan when playback starts (well im pretty sure anyway).

lanceuppercu

Portal Pro
    January 13, 2008
    London
    There is no on/off option for MP-TVSeries as there is for MovingPictures. So to disable MediaInfo for MP-TVSeries you have to remove the MediaInfo.dll from the MediaPortal folder. It might cause a problem with other MediaPortal plugins/options, but MP-TVSeries will simply disable/not-use it.

As far as I know MovingPictures uses the MediaInfo.dll that is inside the plugins\Windows folder it installs into itself as well, so that one will also be unaffected (which is why I ended up with 2 versions on mine).

but what does mediainfo.dll actually do?

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    MediaInfo supplies technical and tag information about your video or audio files. Skinners will use this data to display Logos eg. 720p, DolbyDigital 5.1, SubTitles etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom