TV Server and WHS ( Windows Home Server ) (1 Viewer)

TommySharp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I've just tried installing the TV server on my WHS server and I've got it all up and running.

However when I try and configure a MP client on the network I type in the TV server name (my WHS name) and then click OK the configuration program then becomes "not responding"...

It seems that my client machine cannot see the server? On the server the firewall is switched off, SQL allows remote connections. I can browse shares and the like off the WHS no problem...

MediaPortal client starts up but gets stuck.... if I end the task I get this in the log......

2009-02-25 11:06:07.597400 [Info.][MPMain]: Remote control:master server : Server01
    2009-02-25 11:06:07.995400 [Info.][MPMain]: ChannelNavigator::Reload()
    2009-02-25 11:06:08.051400 [Info.][MPMain]: get channels from database

And it never seems to get any further....

Any ideas?

UPDATE
    Doh.... I didn't restart the server while installing SQL and the TV server so the SQL Server Browser service was not running and could not be manually started. A quick reboot of the server and it looks like I'm in!

yhoogi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Is somebody using a FloppyDTV DVB-S2 in a WHS environment?

I got some problems to have a signal on the ASTRA HD channel @ 11941000 (Premier HD, Anixe HD, etc), which I can't identify.
    So in case getting a positive feedback (or negative one) would help to narrow down the problem.

Cheers,
    yhoogi

TommySharp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    After a few days of running TV server on the WHS box I've decided it's not stable enough.... Lots of choppyness etc so have moved it back to a windows vista box.

ChrisPenrose

Portal Member
    October 14, 2008
    Christchurch
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    WHS setup:
    I got everything (WMP11, SQL Server, MP Server etc) installed and running but noticed various System event log errors.
    After a lot of MSDN searching and tweaking registary security etc, WHS (with MP Server installed but disabled) now boots and runs without event log errors.
    The next step is to move the Nova T-500 DVB-T PCI card from my XP HTPC to WHS, but I need to run another TV coax first.

HTPC (XP Pro) Setup:
    My XP Pro MP 1.0.0 setup is finally stable. It reliably goes into standby and wakes without closing MP, so I am reluctant to break it.
    I have moved xmlTV to run on WHS using an 'AT ...' schedule.

Next step:
    I am keen to try MP 1.0.1, as it should fix a number of issues.
    Maybe in another few weeks, after MP 1.0.1 is released, and I have a stable setup, I will try the server on WHS.

vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    WHS setup:
    I got everything (WMP11, SQL Server, MP Server etc) installed and running but noticed various System event log errors.
    After a lot of MSDN searching and tweaking registary security etc, WHS (with MP Server installed but disabled) now boots and runs without event log errors.

Hi Chris... Can you elaborate on this ? What errors were you getting and what did you do to rectify..

thanx :)

ChrisPenrose

Portal Member
    October 14, 2008
    Christchurch
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    WHS Media Portal System Event log fixes

Refer to attached 'Installing MPServer on WHS.rtf'.

1. PerfLib permissions.
    Installing WMP11 I started getting System event log PerfLib errors. (Diskeeper needed the performance counters)
    I solved it by tweaking the PrefLib permissions (attached screen shot, notes and solution).

2. SQL Server network TCP port was setup incorrectly. Solution also in attached 'Installing MPServer on WHS.rtf'

Sorry it is a bit messy. I assume that my WHS install was a bit broken as no one else reported these problems.
    I would be interested if anyone else finds these errors. If so I will pull it together a bit better.

Attachments

• WHS Perflib Permissions.JPG
      WHS Perflib Permissions.JPG
      61.7 KB
    • Perflib Permissions.zip
      30.7 KB

ChrisPenrose

Portal Member
    October 14, 2008
    Christchurch
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Registary entries for both issues above fixed with REG settings attached.
    But, you will still need to manually alter permissions using RegEdt32.exe.

Attachments

• Perflib Permissions REG.zip
      30.7 KB

vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Registary entries for both issues above fixed with REG settings attached.
    But, you will still need to manually alter permissions using RegEdt32.exe.

Thanx for the heads up Chris... i checked event viewer but i am not having these issues...

cheers.

ethanol

Portal Member
    January 4, 2008
    Home Country
    I'm following this thread with interest.

I think a working, stable install of TV Server on WHS would be a killer addition to the MP line-up.

Having the ability to centralise the recording and streaming of TV (as per TV Server vision) but combining that with the benefits of WHS (and no need for 2 separate boxes) would be a dream combination.

I also love the idea of an add-in for WHS console which could configure basic TV Server settings.

I cannot try this myself yet as I don't have Coax nr my WHS at the minute / spare TV Tuner card but I would seriously look into trying this the more stable / supported this becomes.

vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I'm following this thread with interest.

I think a working, stable install of TV Server on WHS would be a killer addition to the MP line-up.

Having the ability to centralise the recording and streaming of TV (as per TV Server vision) but combining that with the benefits of WHS (and no need for 2 separate boxes) would be a dream combination.

I also love the idea of an add-in for WHS console which could configure basic TV Server settings.

I cannot try this myself yet as I don't have Coax nr my WHS at the minute / spare TV Tuner card but I would seriously look into trying this the more stable / supported this becomes.

Forget it dude.. ain't gonna happen with MP1.0 ... It would pretty much require a whole new TVEngine ... The only Media Center that does this at the moment is SageTV, which has some very good functions, but lacks stability and 3rd party plugins/skins as it is not open source..
    MP is still the best option...

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom