TV Server and WHS ( Windows Home Server ) (1 Viewer)

yhoogi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    i got a similar setup with tv server on whs, my problem is that my tv card doesn´t seem to work right under that circumstances. i got a skystar s2hd, which installs without a problem and in the tv server setup finds many channels but not all. Trying to view them gives me a no-signal error.

can anybody confirm that he/she is using this card and comment on the drivers used under whs?
    thanks in advance...

The "No Signal" info appears recurringly on my system with a FloppyDTV as well for some HDTV Transponder (i.e. Premiere HD) during a new install.
    I somehow circumvented the issue with a clean install of the last 1.0.0 SVN, though. Beats me why.
    Nevertheless after finding successfully these channels seems like you can savely upgrade to 1.0.2 while not deleting the db.

Cheers,

TommySharp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Have bumped my processor up to a dual core and also upgraded to gigabit network which appears to help.

Only problem now is that the lounge PC will somehow hang randomly when trying to watch live or recorded tv off the WHS server. It appears to be after the pc has not been used for a while... Anyone got any thoughts on this?

matis1

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2005
    Austria /Europe
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    problems after problems

first related to my earlier post i gave up using a skystar 2hd under whs as i coudnt get it to work.
    now im running a skystar 2 and a firedtv on a server only installation. in the server config i can manually start a timeshift also in scrambled hd channels, can also start and stop recordings. timeshift and recording folders are on a seperate drive excluded from the pool. the recordings are ok and can be watched over lan by using powerdvd.

the problem is that i cant start tv on the clients ( xp and also vista). i can see all channels but when i try to start tv mp hangs and can only be stopped by task manager.
    in the logs i cant find any problem. i have already stopped the firewall of whs for test purpose but no go.
    any suggestions where to start troubleshooting?

chili_666

Portal Member
    July 23, 2009
    I´ve been fightig quite a fight with mediaportal on whs.

I am using 1.0.2. and the 4therecord-plugin. The Problem is that I can´t get standby to work. Or at least part of it.

I can schedule recordings just fine - the server even wakes up and records them. But it will not go to sleep afterwards...

So I installed the beta of the mce standby tool. With this I found out, that tvservice.exe is preventing standby..

If I stop that service (even if I start it again afterwards) the server will go to sleep...

Anyone had any similar behaviour? I am quite at loss about what I amsuppposed to do to fix that issue...

Thanks & cheers

Chili

yhoogi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Enable Standby & Hibernate on WHS

As it took me some time to enable standby and more imprtantly hibernate, I think I will make a short wrap up on this topic
    (I recommend also the Home Server Blog)

In a nutshell:

To enable Standby, you have to check that you have no blocking drivers. Primary cause for no Energy Saving option is the VGA driver. You have to use an official driver of your graphic chipset.
    The default VGA is not working

Normally this should do the job for Standby.

For Hibernate the job gets more tricky:
    1. Meet the requirements to enable Standby
    2. Check if Hibernate is working with less than 4GB (means check it with 1GB or 2GB memory installed)

Hibernate will not work on system with 4GB RAM installed due to the 32bit address issues.
    In case you have 4GB installed and want to use hibernate you have to forcefully restrict the total memory to 3GB
    You have to disable PAE in the boot.ini with /NoPAE (See also How to prevent the PAE kernel from loading in Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1 and later versions of Windows Server 2003 or in Windows XP with Service Pack 2 and later versions of Windows XP )
    It may be also required to disable all related settings in your BIOS.
    There you have to check yourself which options these are. Usually they are either refering to memory hole remapping, access of memory above 4GB, etc.

Cheers,

chili_666

Portal Member
    July 23, 2009
    Kay

I´d love to use LightsOut - but how do I get the machine to wake up for scheduled recordings? Or will this just work out of the box. I know that there is a script around, that updates the taskplaner for each recording. But afaik this script does not work with 4therecord.

yhoogi

I don´t have 4GB RAM. I am using just 2GB. Standby works fine - except after a recording.

If I just wake the server and let it sit idle for 2 minutes, it goes back to sleep just fine. It even stays asleep after I found out how to disable sbscrexe.exe (I think I got that name right... can´t really remember).

By using mce standby tool - especially its win-idle tab I found out that:

1. a process is needing the system and therefore block standby after a recording
    2. By killing one process after another, I learned that the only process that is blocking is the tvservice.exe

Graphics drivers and everything else work just fine. And, as I said, standby is working - just not after a finished recording...

I must admit, that this has me really stumped...

:confused:

Chili

chili_666

Portal Member
    July 23, 2009
    Ok, then...

I´am going to chuck 4therecord of my harddrive again. Which is quite sad, as I really like the advanced scheduling options it has and try the script and the inbuilt scheduler again.

I hope this works with a MySQL-databse as well - or I´ll be back to starting from scratch... :(

I´ll give it a go tonight, or tomorrow....

Cheers

Chili

chili_666

Portal Member
    July 23, 2009
    This is getting weirder and weirder...

Ok, so I uninstalled MP and 4therecord. Reinstalled MP, this time with the sql-express database and start scanning for tv stations. I am supposed to find around 27 - but MP only finds 16...

But i didn´t worry about that. I installed LightsOut and the script. As far as i can tell the script works. It updates the log-file and the task in the task planer.

But:

MP only records on scheduled recording. I planed to recordings this morning: 1 at 10:00 and the other one at 11:00 - just to see if the server would wake up, got to sleep and wake up again.

It woke up fine for the first recording. Unfortunately i was fiddling with the options of LightsOut during the recording - and set it to "Do nothing" instead of standby.

Anyway, so the server ran for about through until it was time to start the second recording. But it didn´t. the recording still sits in the schedule planer of the server config interface but nothing has happened...

I am not even whereI am supposed to start looking now... the logs? Somewhere else?

Any ideas?

Chili

Edit: Ok, found out a biit more:

I can´t even watchTV after a recording. It seems to me that tvservice.exe is blocking the tuners or whatever. It sounds quite related to problem I had while using 4therecord...

Not that this takes me any further than full circle...

Edit2:

Jeez, this getting even better:

If I try to start timeshifting on the manual-tab of the server-config, MediaPortal tells me that: An unknown error has occured.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom