TV Server and WHS ( Windows Home Server ) (1 Viewer)

yhoogi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Seems like something/somehow this is messed up.

Without snatching people to a different thread, best would be to transfer thsi discussion over to TV-Server on WHS Guide
    There Larry_S (the creator of the script) is sometimes dropping by. So on some issues (i.e. the srcipt) he is maybe better suited. Best would be you drop your script there with your settings (but please delete your password fist) You can ask him if he would be so kind to check your script.

This is getting weirder and weirder...

Ok, so I uninstalled MP and 4therecord. Reinstalled MP, this time with the sql-express database and start scanning for tv stations. I am supposed to find around 27 - but MP only finds 16...

But i didn´t worry about that. I installed LightsOut and the script. As far as i can tell the script works. It updates the log-file and the task in the task planer.

But:

MP only records on scheduled recording. I planed to recordings this morning: 1 at 10:00 and the other one at 11:00 - just to see if the server would wake up, got to sleep and wake up again.

It woke up fine for the first recording. Unfortunately i was fiddling with the options of LightsOut during the recording - and set it to "Do nothing" instead of standby.

Some counter questions:
    Did you used the latest version of the script? (It is posted further down of the thread in the WHS Blog forum.)

Did you configured the script elements for advance startup, what to do after recording?
    Without correct settings the script is not using waking up the server earlier. Also you have to define in the script what shall be done after recording (nothing/stby/hibernate)
    (For short explanation see again TV-Server on WHS Guide

For your TV scanning: which version of MP you are using?
    Fr 1.0.x you will observe this behaviour in case you have not followed the Topic: "Channel search skips HD Transponders (no signal) for FireDTV- and FloppyDTV DVB-S2 cards" in TV-Server on WHS Guide
    For 1.1 Beta I didn't observed this so far (but some other issues)

Please note further that the only DB I used so far is the MS-SQL. If all these things are also working in SQL express I don't know.

Anyway, so the server ran for about through until it was time to start the second recording. But it didn´t. the recording still sits in the schedule planer of the server config interface but nothing has happened...

I am not even whereI am supposed to start looking now... the logs? Somewhere else?

Any ideas?

Chili

A logfile is created in c:\WHS_Standby.log

Edit: Ok, found out a biit more:

I can´t even watchTV after a recording. It seems to me that tvservice.exe is blocking the tuners or whatever. It sounds quite related to problem I had while using 4therecord...

Not that this takes me any further than full circle...

Edit2:

Jeez, this getting even better:

If I try to start timeshifting on the manual-tab of the server-config, MediaPortal tells me that: An unknown error has occured.

This sounds more like a TV-Server issue. The script does not manipulate the scheduler & TV-Server activities. It handles only in-time wakeup and keep him alive for the recording
    I observed the screw up of the TV Server sometimes as well (especially with the new 1.1 Beta version)

Cheers,

chili_666

Portal Member
    July 23, 2009
    @yooghi

thanks for your long reply... I tried to check on all your question:

1. I am using the latest version of the script.
    2. I reckon it´configured properly.
    3. Regarding the tv-stations: I´d use that guide if I´d be using Fire- or FloppDTV hardware. As it is I am running a Hauppauge Nova 500 Dual DVB-t tuner card -which used to find all the channels. MP version is 1.0.2, which should be without any beta quirks...
    4. The script sometimes just stops (not visible in task manager anymore) but if it is running it does what it´s supposed to do.

So , to sum it up:

I seem to have quite a problem with the TV-Server itself. The tvservice seems to have some problems after wake up. The problem is, I don´t know where to look for the error.

I know that there are heaps of log-files, but, quite frankly, I don´t really understand them. The only thing that seems to be trying to tell me something is this part of the error.log:

HTML:
    2009-09-27 15:26:23.546875 [SetupTv]: ServiceHelper: Could not check whether the tvservice is running. Please check your network as well. 
    Error: System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingException: Der angeforderte Dienst wurde nicht gefunden.

Server stack trace: 
       bei System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.BinaryServerFormatterSink.ProcessMessage(IServerChannelSinkStack sinkStack, 
    IMessage requestMsg, ITransportHeaders requestHeaders, Stream requestStream, IMessage& responseMsg, 
    ITransportHeaders& responseHeaders, Stream& responseStream)

Exception rethrown at [0]: 
       bei System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
       bei System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
       bei TvControl.IController.get_IdServer()
       bei SetupTv.ServiceHelper.get_IsRunning()

Now I just need somebody to translate that for me... or help find a way to repair that... because I don´t really have a clue what to do about it...

Thanks again & Cheers..

Chili

yhoogi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ok, one additional issue in case you have problems with the TVServer.

In LO Setup, there is a line where you can stopstart tasks before/after standby.
    Normally DriveExtenderMigrator is defined there. you can also add additional tasks. I propose you add the TVService.
    So it will be stoped before going into standby and restarted at startup.

Maybe this will mitigate your problems.

Cheers,

on a second thought:
    You can also check the service tab for TVService in services (ControlPanel). There is a tab for error handling. Just tell the service to be restarted in case of errors.

TommySharp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm trying to test TV server 1.0.4.23491 on my WHS box but it just never finds any channels.....

I tested this a while back with the same hardware and MP 1.0.2 and it worked well enough.

Any suggestions on why I'm not picking up any channels when searching? I've applied the DVB fix without any luck....

yhoogi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sounds for me more like a driver issue.

Did you tried to use the original drivers and tv card application to verify if they are working in WHS?

Cheers,

Vispen74

Portal Member
    February 13, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hello!

I have a strange problem that started after I switched OS on my server from Win 2003 server to WHS.

The problem is that live TV is freezing. Only after a few seconds, and sometimes after minutes the picture freezes. Switching channel makes it possible to watch TV a little bit more, but after a wile it freezes again. Reboot the server makes the TV working for a few hours, but when turn on TV the next day, the freezing problem is back. My WHS server is up 24/7, no powermanagement, and no MP files in disk-pool.

I have reinstalled everything, but same thing came back again. It will also occur from any client, so the problem have to be the server.

I followed some guide when installing MP on WHS, wich included WMP 11, DVB-fix and Power DVD 8. I use two DVB-T cards and had no problems with Live-TV in win 2003 server.

Any Ideas?!?

Vispen74

Portal Member
    February 13, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hello!

I have a strange problem that started after I switched OS on my server from Win 2003 server to WHS.

The problem is that live TV is freezing. Only after a few seconds, and sometimes after minutes the picture freezes. Switching channel makes it possible to watch TV a little bit more, but after a wile it freezes again. Reboot the server makes the TV working for a few hours, but when turn on TV the next day, the freezing problem is back. My WHS server is up 24/7, no powermanagement, and no MP files in disk-pool.

I have reinstalled everything, but same thing came back again. It will also occur from any client, so the problem have to be the server.

I followed some guide when installing MP on WHS, wich included WMP 11, DVB-fix and Power DVD 8. I use two DVB-T cards and had no problems with Live-TV in win 2003 server.

Any Ideas?!?

No one else having this problem?!?

yhoogi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Did you tried the RTSP altenative?
    Is there also a freeze if you run a video-file? (best would be with similar data rate)
    Also potential / exotic issues would be insuffient bandwidth in your network (normally unlikely with 1Gbps or cable based systems).

I presume you did not try to do real time streams via Wifi.

I am sorry, but if all the other proposed measures are taken care of I am running out of ideas.

Cheers,

Schicksal

Portal Pro
    February 7, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: TV Server and WHS ( Windows Home Server )

I'm trying to test TV server 1.0.4.23491 on my WHS box but it just never finds any channels.....

I tested this a while back with the same hardware and MP 1.0.2 and it worked well enough.

Any suggestions on why I'm not picking up any channels when searching? I've applied the DVB fix without any luck....

deinstall MePo and all SQL entries.
    Reinstall everything and it should work.
    so was on mine.

Vispen74

Portal Member
    February 13, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Did you tried the RTSP altenative?
    Is there also a freeze if you run a video-file? (best would be with similar data rate)
    Also potential / exotic issues would be insuffient bandwidth in your network (normally unlikely with 1Gbps or cable based systems).

I presume you did not try to do real time streams via Wifi.

I am sorry, but if all the other proposed measures are taken care of I am running out of ideas.

Cheers,

Found this THIS THREAD regarding my problem, it might be the same issue.

Yes, using wired Gigabit LAN. But RTSP? What is that? I am on MP 1.02 by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom