TV Server and Window 2008 Win2k8 Server (3 Viewers)

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    now that u have 2008 working, what is the main benefits of home server 2008 with respect to vista? im trying to decide which one to use.

i will not be using raid for the moment, just in case that matters.

thanks

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Vista is 900 Euro cheaper - that money can be spend for decent tv cards and a week of holidays for your wife.

jdugas

Portal Member
    April 19, 2006
    NY
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Very true :)

But have either of you used the RemoteApp feature in 2008 Server? All I can say is that it is very nice. Instead of installing office and such on all the computers, I have been testing with remoteapp on the server and running the applications over my network (and VPN to the office) with very good results so far... soon, I will be updating my Win 2003 server to Win 2008 if everything works out well with the TV Server application.

I couldn't say whether or not I would use Home Server because I still haven't installed the beta copy Microsoft sent me last year :)... Between work and everything else going on over the past 8 months... I haven't found the time. I barely have time to start using the TV Server again... from what I am seeing, it seems to have been improved a lot since I had used it last year.

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    now that u have 2008 working, what is the main benefits of home server 2008 with respect to vista? im trying to decide which one to use.

i will not be using raid for the moment, just in case that matters.

thanks
    You wouldn't buy Server 2008 just for MP/TVServer, but if you have an MSDN, Technet or Action Pack subscription from Microsoft then you would get 2008 through that. Someone that has one of these subscriptions is likely to be playing with server anyway and experimenting with some of the other server apps too (such as Exchange and SQLServer).

If it wasn't for a lack of space in my appartment and a lack of time, I'd probably end up building a 2008 server. Hosting my own Exchange server along with TVServer and network storage duties mainly.

Meier

Portal Pro
    November 1, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    my advise.. if your not that familiar with Windows internally.. leave it alone..its a big hassle..
    sry...but it doesn't seem that you're very familiar with w2k8.
    just tested tv server under w2k8, everything works perfect and the installation was not really hard:
    1. check which network is activated for your network-card (private or public)
    2. switch out the firewall that matches your network configuration (private or public)
    3. install tv-card drivers
    4. install "bda for server 2008" (can be found in the internet)
    5. install feature "desktop...." (don't know if it's really necessary)
    6. install tv server with everything necessary
    7. change the service to run under admin account
    8. restart service
    9. be happy with a good running tv server under w2k8

BKCH

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2005
    Sydney
    Home Country
    For what it's worth I followed the steps above and got my DVB-T card working in Server 2008 64 bit - but I couldn't get my Hauppauge PVR-250 to work so it looks like I'm stuck with Vista / XP Pro :(

BKCH

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2005
    Sydney
    Home Country
    I didn't try 32 bit. (for me the whole point of 2008 was to enable hyper-v so I could use my spare CPU cycles to run up a VM and deliver XenDesktop to my kids!!!)

Crew

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Working great here. Would it be worth for RC3 removing the warnings and instead on install point you towards a wiki for the very simple fix?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom