TV Server + MySQL problem... Need help for setup please (1 Viewer)

mo418

Portal Member
March 13, 2014
Home Country
Canada Canada
Hi!

I have problems with the TV Server setup.

First of all, I installed MP 1.6.0 as a single seat. Despite doing that, I did not have any shortcuts for the TV Server config. Windows -->All Programs --> Team Mediaportal --> MediaPortal folder, there is no TV-Server Config option.

I checked yes to wach TV with mediaportal while installation, so I don't know what went wrong.

Anyway, I found a .exe somewhere in Mediaportal Forlder to run TVServer config. So I installed it.

Then during install, it prompted for which SQL databse to use. I had previously downloaded and installed MySQL5.6, so I said MySQL.

From there, I don't really know what to do. I can't connect to hostname (dependency and Hostame are red when I hit test), and I'm not able to start TV Service in Windows Service (It starts but says it stopped automatically right after since nothing uses this service)

Any help would be appreciated. I'm thinking about a complete uninstall and fresh install, but just want to know if there could be a quicker solution since setup everything again (I just did) would be very long.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome mo418 :)

First of all, I installed MP 1.6.0 as a single seat. Despite doing that, I did not have any shortcuts for the TV Server config. Windows -->All Programs --> Team Mediaportal --> MediaPortal folder, there is no TV-Server Config option.
    I'd not expect to find TV Server config there.
    There should be a separate folder for TV Server in the Team MediaPortal folder.
    Shortcuts to MP, MP config and TV Server config are also placed on your Desktop. Do you see it there?

Then during install, it prompted for which SQL databse to use. I had previously downloaded and installed MySQL5.6, so I said MySQL.

From there, I don't really know what to do. I can't connect to hostname (dependency and Hostame are red when I hit test), and I'm not able to start TV Service in Windows Service (It starts but says it stopped automatically right after since nothing uses this service)
    If you installed MySQL by yourself then you need to ensure that the username and password (as well as the hostname and dependency) are correct. Most people just let the MediaPortal installer install MySQL as well, in which case MediaPortal will use the MySQL root user with password "MediaPortal" to access the database. When you installed MySQL I presume you chose a different root password, and you may have even setup a user for MediaPortal to use - I don't know. In any case, again you need to ensure that the username and password are correct.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm thinking about a complete uninstall and fresh install, but just want to know if there could be a quicker solution since setup everything again (I just did) would be very long.
    A complete fresh install of MediaPortal won't help at this stage. I don't recommend it.

mo418

Portal Member
    March 13, 2014
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I'd not expect to find TV Server config there.
    There should be a separate folder for TV Server in the Team MediaPortal folder.
    Shortcuts to MP, MP config and TV Server config are also placed on your Desktop. Do you see it there?

Maybe I was not precise enough. I just meant that there is simply no folder at all with the name of TV Server. I have shortcuts on my desktop, but no TV Server.

I made a test at my job and installed mediaportal on a computer, and everything went well. I have all folders/shortcuts (with TV Server), so I know that it was really missing.

So I ran TV Server config and saw a control panel that I do not get on my home HTPC. The panel is similar to mediaportal config, but is TV related indeed (TV Tuner priority, etc...). At home, the only thing I get when running tv server shortcut is this: http://www.wegotserved.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/mc422.jpg
    Only difference is that I checked MySQL5

If you installed MySQL by yourself then you need to ensure that the username and password (as well as the hostname and dependency) are correct. Most people just let the MediaPortal installer install MySQL as well, in which case MediaPortal will use the MySQL root user with password "MediaPortal" to access the database. When you installed MySQL I presume you chose a different root password, and you may have even setup a user for MediaPortal to use - I don't know. In any case, again you need to ensure that the username and password are correct.

I installed my SQL because I saw that I needed it searching for my problem on the internet (And that it was not installed on my computer). The only thing I have in start menu are command lines under MySQL 5.6 folder. So I don't know how I could set a user and password at all. I'm good at computers, but is a complete noob for SQL Database in general.

A complete fresh install of MediaPortal won't help at this stage. I don't recommend it.
    This is my last resort indeed. That is why I came here to ask. Despite all my search over the internet, I did not find any solution on my own.

With all this being said, and the test I made with mediaportal installation at work (everything installed normally), I was wondering if there was a executable that I could run to install TV Server config itself without deinstalling everything.

Thanks again for this quick answer and all your time.

PS: Sorry for mistakes, I speak french

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Maybe I was not precise enough. I just meant that there is simply no folder at all with the name of TV Server. I have shortcuts on my desktop, but no TV Server.
    That is really bizzare. :confused:

So I ran TV Server config and saw a control panel that I do not get on my home HTPC. The panel is similar to mediaportal config, but is TV related indeed (TV Tuner priority, etc...).
    TV Server config should look like this:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...er_Configuration#TV-Server_Configuration_Tool

At home, the only thing I get when running tv server shortcut is this: http://www.wegotserved.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/mc422.jpg
    Only difference is that I checked MySQL5
    That is normal too - a normal part of TV Server configuration. You should have seen that at work when you first tried to open TV Server configuration. It is the database connection configuration dialog. Once you've configured the database connection successfully once, you should normally never see that dialog again.

So in summary:
    1. I think you have TV Server installed fine already (though I don't know where it is installed to - usually it is c:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server).
    2. You need to configure the database connection correctly to make the dialog go away and get to the normal view of TV Server configuration.

I installed my SQL because I saw that I needed it searching for my problem on the internet (And that it was not installed on my computer). The only thing I have in start menu are command lines under MySQL 5.6 folder. So I don't know how I could set a user and password at all. I'm good at computers, but is a complete noob for SQL Database in general.
    I understand. You wouldn't be able to create a user and password using the command line unless you're proficient with databases. You might with the MySQL Workbench graphical user interface tool (downloadable for free from the MySQL website), but even that is pretty involved.

The thing is that you didn't need to install MySQL manually. If you did that, there isn't really an easy way to back out without uninstalling MP, TV Server and MySQL and starting from scratch. You could rescue the MediaPortal settings if that's what you're concerned about...?

In any case, you should have seen this dialog during the MediaPortal install process:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...2_Advanced_Installation#Database_Server_(SQL)

...or at least this:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...taller_(Deploy_Tool)/Install#Actions_Required

...showing you that MediaPortal was going to install MySQL for you.

As I said previously, the defaut username and password for MySQL [when installed by MediaPortal] are root and MediaPortal. If those don't work then I can't easily help you unless you're able to provide access to your HTPC (using TeamViewer or RDP or similar). I could jump on and fix the problems for you in about 10 minutes... but describing how to fix it including every possible scenario would take me hours. I'm sorry, I can't do that (I'm actually at work right now).

With all this being said, and the test I made with mediaportal installation at work (everything installed normally), I was wondering if there was a executable that I could run to install TV Server config itself without deinstalling everything.
    The database connection dialog that you're seeing is TV Server config itself. It is a pre-requisite to configure a database connection before you can get into the main part that you're trying to get to. There is no way around that.

Thanks again for this quick answer and all your time.

PS: Sorry for mistakes, I speak french
    You're very welcome, and your English is excellent. :)
    As above, I'd be happy to fix this for you if you can provide remote access. Otherwise you can rescue all the MP settings from C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal. Note that is a hidden folder, not Program Files. You can paste the path into the address bar in Windows Explorer to get there.

Regards,
    mm

mo418

Portal Member
    March 13, 2014
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks for your answer.

Well, my guess is the install went wrong somewhere, and it's probably an option I chose without paying too much attention. I'll go with a fresh install, and I'll try to configure TV first this time.

I have the feeling it will take less time (for me) to do so, than to troubleshoot all this.

Thanks for replying at work too, really appreciated.

I'll let you know for sure how the reinstall went, and maybe I'll have couple more questions :)

Thanks again and have a good day!

mo418

Portal Member
    March 13, 2014
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Fresh reinstall, and wow everything works concerning MySQL and database etc...Got green icons, connected to tv server and stuff.

Now I'm configuring my Hauppauge 1250, which is recognized as a 885!?

I'll make some research, but I'll probably need help configuring the "TV Server Configuration" windows I never had before on my HTPC.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Fresh reinstall, and wow everything works concerning MySQL and database etc...Got green icons, connected to tv server and stuff.
    Fantastic! :D

Now I'm configuring my Hauppauge 1250, which is recognized as a 885!?
    Yep, that is the name that the driver presents to Windows (because the card uses a Conexant CX23885 chipset).

I'll make some research, but I'll probably need help configuring the "TV Server Configuration" windows I never had before on my HTPC.
    I recommend the wiki for most things.
    For example, scanning for channels is described here:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...rver_Configuration/02_TV_Servers/7b_Scan_ATSC

You shouldn't need to do any other tuner or channel configuration other than the stuff you want to (like setting your timeshift folder, which hopefully is self explanatory).

The only other tip I have for you is to disable the DVB EPG grabber:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...figuration/TV-Server_Configuration/05_DVB_EPG

It won't help you get EPG and will use your tuner unnecessarily.

For EPG (guide data), you can check out my tips in this post:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/setup-help.124506/#post-1061869

Pick one of the four options and run with it. If you find it doesn't work for you, try one of the others. They're all free except the SchedulesDirect option which is $20 per year.

Don't be afraid to ask if you need any further help. :)
    mm

mo418

Portal Member
    March 13, 2014
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    The only other tip I have for you is to disable the DVB EPG grabber
    This means I simply keep unchecked all channels found for EPG Grabbing right? Should I leave "CRC check" checked?

Oh and one more thing. I noticed the TV do not lag in full screen, but seem to skip/lag when in miniature size (let's say while I browse mediaportal home).

Is there a preferred software encoder (since the Hauppauge 1250 do not have hardware encoder)?

Thanks again

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The only other tip I have for you is to disable the DVB EPG grabber
    This means I simply keep unchecked all channels found for EPG Grabbing right? Should I leave "CRC check" checked?
    No, it means untick the enabled checkboxes for "EPG grabbing while timeshifting/recording" and "EPG grabbing while idle".
    It doesn't matter if you've already unchecked all the channels - that won't hurt.

[edit: The CRC option doesn't matter for you since you won't be using the DVB EPG grabber at all. Leave it ticked... or untick it. It makes no difference.]

mo418

Portal Member
    March 13, 2014
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I've edited my previous post and talked about lag (probably while you were writing) BUT I restarted Mediaportal and I have no lag at all.

Next step will be grabbing EPG per you link, and reconfigure all other media as before, and the system will be up and running!

(And indeed, I'll probably have some more questions but for the moment all I say is WOW)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom