TV stream stops every day at certain time, certain channel (2 Viewers)

Schaussi

Portal Member
July 25, 2008
Hi,

TV channel ORF2O HD basically runs fine for many hours, but at about 07:21 pm there seems something happening.

What might be special about this is, ORF2 has a separate channel for every federal state of Austria. In most cases, the program schedule is the same for all of the ORF2 channels the whole day, but from 07:00 to 07:20 pm it shows the local (federal) news. After that, it seems to switch back to the general program and this might make the stream stop.

After restarting the channel or switching to another one and then back, everything works fine again.

Please have a look at the server log, maybe you can help me prevent the stream from stopping.

http://pastebin.com/vLJeFH72

Thank you

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello,

Can you please zip all TV Server log files and upload the zip here by using "Datei hochladen"?

Your hypothesis that the switch causes the stream to break off sounds plausible. However, I would not understand how the same station on the transponder can cause the stream to break off.

Schaussi

Portal Member
    July 25, 2008
    I have attached the log files (started TV server, changed to channel ORF2O HD, waited until stream seems to stop, then after about 20 seconds stop and restart channel).

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    tswriter.log shows timeshifting to start at 19:10:15

At 19:20:44 a PMT change is taking place and the system records ongoing continuity errors. That's probably the moment that you see MediaPortal breaking off. I have no clue if this is due to tswriter not being able to cope with the PID change, or if OFR2 is not fully respecting MPEG standards.

@mm1352000 , can you have a quick look at the tswriter and comment if this would be due to the broadcaster?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    can you have a quick look at the tswriter and comment if this would be due to the broadcaster?
    Sure.
    I don't know if it is due to the broadcaster.
    However, if this channel is encrypted and Schaussi is using a DD CI + CAM, I would expect similar issues as encountered with the Sky Cinema audio PMT change thing. It seems the DD drivers just can't handle a PMT change for an encrypted channel properly.
    If Schaussi is not using a DD CI + CAM then he should set the TV Server log level to debug and post again.

...and the system records ongoing continuity errors. That's probably the moment that you see MediaPortal breaking off.
    I agree with this... though it wouldn't really be MP's fault. The codecs won't be able to decode video/audio properly when there are so many continuity errors. In other words, MP isn't responsible for breaking off. That would be the codecs.

Schaussi

Portal Member
    July 25, 2008
    Please have at the log file I have attached from today with debugging enabled.
    The tuner hardware is a 4-port DD Cine S2 with CI and a Deltacam module.
    You are right, ORF2O HD is an encrypted channel.
    I also updated the drivers, firmware is the current one.
    What can I do regarding the codecs? (As far as I know, the device uses hardware encoding)

Edit: This time it was about 19:00 when the image freezed, this is when the daily local news start.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again

Thanks for the update (y)

Please have at the log file I have attached from today with debugging enabled.
    The log files seem to confirm exactly what I expected.

DD's MTD (CAM sharing) cannot handle channel substream changes. The start and end of your daily local news are examples of these substream changes. This issue only affects encrypted channels; it does not affect free-to-air channels. When the channel changes (eg. new video and audio streams), the new streams are not decrypted. TV Server tries to tell the DD CI to decrypt the channel... but the request is ignored.

Sorry, there's nothing that we can do about this (because it is a DD problem). You can try to report the problem to DD. In the past we have not had any success in getting them to understand or fix the problem... but perhaps this time will be better, I don't know.

What can I do regarding the codecs? (As far as I know, the device uses hardware encoding)
    Codecs will make no difference. The problem is that the decryption fails after the change from regular programming to local news, and also after the change from local news back to regular programming. DD are the only people who can solve this problem.

Regards,
    mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom