TV Thumbnailer - Custom Rec TV Thumbs / Better h264 support (1 Viewer)

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I had some small tests with ffmpeg as well and it will be used as an additional thumbnail creator for MP2 as well (default uses Windows-shell thumbnail features).

I have many recordings stored in anamorphic format and want to get the image in proper 16:9 format (no tiling wanted at all). So I used video filters to scale the output according to the sample aspect ratio. I've added also a deinterlace filter:

ffmpeg.... -vf "yadif=0:-1:0","scale=iw*sar:ih","setsar=1:1","scale=iw/2:-1"

the 2nd scale command does resize the corrected frame to 1/2 of input size.

Maybe this can be useful for your needs as well, so I let you know this :)

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have tested this and it works just great! Thank you for your ongoing work! =)

What I am missing now is to have thumbnails with multiple images combined. But I don't know if this is even possible with ffmpeg.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    yes it's possible. not sure with ffmpeg, but there is a tool called imagemagick that can montage and overlay images. Jay UK is using it already with his mtn replacement a few posts up. I will be doing this to, i already know how to do it, but I don't a smart way to decide at which timestamps to take the screen shots from in a video.[DOUBLEPOST=1351762019][/DOUBLEPOST]I assume I can use ffmpeg to return the video length and then calculate something based on that, but i'm not sure if it could be done a better way within the ffmpeg switch. Also there is the issue of getting all 4 screenshots done with one commandline of ffmpeg vs doing it four times which may take a lot longer.

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

FFmpeg does support thumbnailing itself and and you can specify the interval, etc. The slight issue is limiting the number of thumbs it grabs.

I'm sure I could figure it out.... I ended up with two situations:

A tiled thumb based on consequective frames (when I want a gap between them)
    Thumbnail generation running for the whole movie (grabbing with the required gaps, but not stopping once I'd generated a tiled thumb)

All I need to do is combine the above two to get the ideal.... FFmpeg generating a single tiled thumb with a specified gap between the frames.

But if you want the "extras" - such as show name/banner/etc, then it would be best sticking with ImageMagic.

J.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

A quick update to my mtn.exe.

Please refer to my previous post about installation instructions:

Install ImageMagic
    Replace MTN with my version
    Put FFMpeg in the same directory as MTN

Changes
    Now has logic to handle short movies/recordings
    Slightly tweaked thumbnailing
    Improved frame grabbing (for interlaced material)

J.

Attachments

• MTN_Replacement.zip
      7.6 MB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom