TVGemist plugin (2 Viewers)

chuvke

Portal Member
December 30, 2006
It seems the updating process is not so reliable. Sometimes shows that are visible via the website, are not visible via TVGemist plugin :( Sometimes ik takes more than a day before they are in sync again :( Or even soms shows aren't visible at all.

I guess this is because of the new database which should be kept up-to-date, isn't ?. The old plugin just used the info available from the website of uitzendinggemist.nl, sbs, etc. which was always up-to-date.

martijn189

Portal Pro
October 29, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Can you give an example of some shows that are not working?, as far as i know all shows are being updated correctly,

chuvke

Portal Member
December 30, 2006
the last one I noticed was "Ranking the stars".
I see many posts of "show xxx has been added", but I guess this shouldn't be necessary. I guess manually adding all programs won't succeed for long.

Maybe an explaination of how the (auto)grabbing works can give some more insight into it ? Is the auto grabber under development , etc.

I really appreciate all the work etc and love the new plugin, so please see this as just being some point of criticism on the working of the new plugin.

martijn189

Portal Pro
October 29, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
The automated script for new tv shows is not setup as a cron at the moment, i will see to it that this happen so that new shows are added faster.

The main problem with our update script is that we use a tv guide to tell us which shows are being aired each day, based on that we update our episode database. Problem with this is that the spelling of some shows change now and then in the tv guide, or that episodes do not get uploaded at the normal time by the tv station, and in that rare case, you will miss episodes.

basicly this is how it works

- we have constructed a list of tv shows from the programmagemist.nl site
- we added some shows because some shows are not listed on that site
- every day arround 08:00 we check a tv guide for each tv station and check show names against our database, if there is a match we put that show in a update queue.
- every 3 hours we check our queue if there where shows aired + some extra time so we know for sure that new episodes are uploaded by the tv station. In the case a tv show has aired we delete all episodes from that show and re-downlaod all episodes that are listed.
- each half an hour a script updates our live database that the TVgemist users use with all episodes that we know of.

But i can see your point, after some testing by everyone here it appears that this approach is not good enough, therefore i will make some changes to the scripts.

I will let you know how this is progressing.

EDIT
About the show Ranking the stars, is that a show from nederland 1 2 or 3?, i cannot see it on programmagemist.nl, that is why the show is not listed.

martijn189

Portal Pro
October 29, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Is there someone here that can help me with the C# part of the plugin?

moiristo
Are you still there?, i realy need your help, i need some changes made to the plugin.

about our plugin
I am busy developing a V2 of our plugin that uses a database to get the episodes, this one works with a cache file and will retrieve the episodes on demand again instead of using a tv guide to scheduelle updates.

armandp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 6, 2008
    Zoetermeer
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    If moiristo isn't available I could help you with the C# part if you want. Just PM me if you need any help :)

martijn189

Portal Pro
    October 29, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    hi everyone,

Thanks to armandp we are one step closer to a better TVgemist plugin. Development of version 2 of our database driven plugin is going nicely, i just wanted to show you how the plugin is looking at the moment. Please post your idears and wishes so we can include them (if possiblee).

Attachments

• TVgemist_main.jpg
      TVgemist_main.jpg
      159.6 KB
    • TVgemist_rtl4.jpg
      TVgemist_rtl4.jpg
      205.4 KB

userjan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 14, 2008
    USA, Greeneville, TN
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thanks for your hard work martijn189 :) I like the layout, looks very neath...

Just a question on the uitzendinggmist part, as far as i understand it, at this moment the shows are scraped from uitzendinggemist.nl making the updates for new programs realtime, will this also be turned into "database driven" updates ? (and with that will the updates show later in MP)

I'm running a few hours behind you guys, when my evening start i can watch "Pauw en Witteman" " de wereld draait door" of that day, if the database updates only every 4 hours i might start to miss that.

Greetings userjan

edit: the screenshots show the only selection is "by channel" (like ned1/ned2 etc) will it still be posible to choose shows by day ? (like vandaag/gisteren etc) thats a function i really like to use.

martijn189

Portal Pro
    October 29, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi userjan,

Thanks for your feedback, it is indeed true that our first approach (a episode database that is updated based on a tv guide) was not such a good one, at the moment there is also a problem with our automated updater so episodes are no longer updated after a show has aired.

We are working hard on a new method that will work as follows:

- we fill our database with tv shows that are retrieved of programamgemist.nl + shows that users add + live streams. This ensures that only good workign shows are being served.
    - we retrieve tv show information, thumbnails from that shows and sorted by station
    - that list can be retrieved using mediaportal
    - when a tv show is selected our server will retrieve episodes for you in real time and serve them
    - that query is stored in a cache file on our server for use during the next 60 minutes

so no tv guide driven database, this aproach will give the episodes on demand again (like the old plugin) and when website change, we have to change our scripts rether then everyone downloading new plugin version.

sorry for my strange english... hope this helps you a bit.

userjan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 14, 2008
    USA, Greeneville, TN
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Ok, thx for your reply, that sounds like a solid approach to me.

Also still wondering about the view "by day" (gisteren/vandaag/zondag etc), if thats going to be implemented in the new plugin, i can imagen you could even do this for all channels combined. (no priority, maybe in a later stage)

( and your English ? I understand you just fine with my boerenkoolstampot met worst engels ;) )

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom