TVplugin - avoiding RTSP in multiseat mode (test plz). (2 Viewers)

jhb

Portal Pro
September 19, 2006
Gothenburg
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Just want to say that I today realized that my problem with black screen after channel change (due to problems with TSreader?) can occur also with this solution. That is, some of the reasons for using this solution are not solved by it...

See more in my post in another thread:
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...screen-after-channel-change-53609/#post377453

Btw, channel swap times with a samba share are sometimes fast, sometimes really, really slow...

stoked

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I was running 1.0 final previously. I upgraded to SVN21688 last night, and the 21688 tsreader seems to be running without issues. I did have to increase the size of the timeshift files however, I think when I had 50MB files it would eventually miss the next rollover file and my live TV would hang. I'm still testing for stuttering though, but so far so good.

clintebb

Portal Pro
    October 8, 2008
    Home Country
    edit.. hmmm seems i was wrong.. and it would explain why ive been seeing comercials! just checked for some reason rtsp is set to yes.. ive had this happen before where i change it to no but it doesnt seem to stay at no

edit again... still no comskip.. i checked MP config on the client and auto skip commercials in the general config wasnt ticked.. strange how the config file changes on its own!

erosco

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2007
    Home Country
    Does anyone (gibman, disaster) have an update on the smb stuttering? I too am looking for a stable multiseat solution that supports comskip for recordings. I would like to avoid having to install 4 the record (I have nothing against the plugin).. I just want to avoid lots of plugins in my setup.

pnyberg

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2006
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Does anyone (gibman, disaster) have an update on the smb stuttering? I too am looking for a stable multiseat solution that supports comskip for recordings. I would like to avoid having to install 4 the record (I have nothing against the plugin).. I just want to avoid lots of plugins in my setup.

Have you tried different NIC settings (100Mbit/Full/Half duplex)? For me I got rid of my occassional stuttering when setting both client and server NICs to 100Mbit/Half duplex. The switches I have support Full duplex but for some reason it doesn't work to well with this. Setting my NICs to "Auto" also produced occassional stuttering.

My experience is that switches/routers almost never work well with "Auto" setting on the clients. The best thing is always to hard set the switch ports and NICs to the same speed and duplex. I am a professional IT systems engineer and on my customers site we never use Auto on the client NICs. If you have 1Gbit NICs and switches there is no problem because afaik you don't have half/full duplex - it is always full duplex.

The problem is that switches aimed for the home market usually don't give you the option to hard set the switch ports to for instance 100Mbit/Full. So imo experience the second best alternative is to set both end equipment to 100Mbit/Half (Full seems not to work that well on home switches for some reason).

Test for yourself.

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    erosco
    Only LiveTV does result in problems for me. So I'm now using Live-TV WITH RTSP and Recordings without RTSP (over SMB). This DOES NOT WORK with normal MP. But you can use my Version.

iancalderban

Portal Pro
    December 12, 2008
    milton keynes
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    hi all,

new on this thread but i have been lurking a while. I converted my MP 1.0.0.0-release setup to run multiseat approx 2 months ago, immediately I had many problems with RTSP, so I used the non-rtsp mediaportal.xml config file change solution in this thread, and its really very good solution - for recorded TV,its working great. even chase play (start watching recorded tv file before program has finished) is working fine.

I suspect am seeing the problem mentioned by others with live tv - every N minutes, where N seems to be inversely proportional to a) the bitrate of the channel and b) the size of the timeshifting file specified in tvserver config, I get a massive glitch. Playback essentially goes bad for about 15 seconds, with crazy image and audio, then it carries on as normal.

my workarounds at the moment are to either a) pause live tv, go for a cup of tea, come back and hit play. When thats enough time for next timeshift file to have been created, seems to solve the big glitch or b) watch everything from recorded tv, using chase-play to watch live tv as near-live.

Any other suggested solutions for this?

Also, I can't set a timeshift filesize greater than 1024mb in the tv server config? Is this possible? I have TB of disk space, so going large is not an issue there. Or can a ramdisk be used under vista x64 (the rramdisk mentioned in the mediaportal wiki is only 32bit) and would that help? (did anyone test this?)

ta
    Ian

pnyberg

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2006
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Also, I can't set a timeshift filesize greater than 1024mb in the tv server config?

You can increase the size to any size you like by entering the size in the DB. In the table Settings you'll find "TimeShiftMaxFileSize".

clintebb

Portal Pro
    October 8, 2008
    Home Country
    i think i might change that timeshift file size too.. if i make the timeshift file say 10gb that should give enough for about 3 hours of SD tv, which is probably the most i would watch under normal circumstances

iancalderban

Portal Pro
    December 12, 2008
    milton keynes
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Also, I can't set a timeshift filesize greater than 1024mb in the tv server config?

You can increase the size to any size you like by entering the size in the DB. In the table Settings you'll find "TimeShiftMaxFileSize".

thanks. sorry slightly OT for this thread but how do I do that? (i.e. what's the easiest app to use to edit the DB). I am not a database guy at all.
    Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom